[WNL2] Map Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
8dAMHqJ.png

Just a thread for people to discuss new and old maps.

So here's a list of the removed maps and a list of the new maps:

Removed Maps
Village
Port Assault
Nord Town
Snowy Village
Ruined Fort

New Maps
Fort of Honour
Shariz Village
Verloren
Mountain Fortress
Dry Valley
Port Azur
Khudan Outskirts
Castle Ruins

Here's my breakdown as a player (not an admin)

Village - Did not miss, think a lot of the new closed maps are superior.
Port Assault - Kind of missed it but the lack of balance and the quantity of quality closed custom maps means I think it should stay gone.
Nord Town - Missed this a lot, would like to see it return. Just think it's a nicely balanced map and a particularly fun one. Perhaps the flags or the spawns could do with a rework.
Snowy Village - Actually missed this much more than I expected and would like to see it return. It's a proper open map and often has interesting tactics and when the flag doesn't spawn on the hill the battles for MoF are always fascinating.
Ruined Fort - Stay dead.

Fort of Honour - Thought it was a great additions and would like to see it played again.
Shariz Village - I think it could do with a bit of work so that there's more tactical options for the attacker other than running around in circles. With a few changes I think it's a keeper.
Verloren - Another map I really liked. Had some great matches on it. I think the aesthetic and the way it plays is different to a lot of closed maps and this makes it a keeper.
Mountain Fortress - I enjoyed this map but I think it was a little bit hamstrung by map classifications. Could do with a little bit of work but I'd like to see it played again if we sort out a more balanced map classification/selection system that accomodates mixed maps.
Dry Valley - Didn't really enjoy this map, felt like there was too much wide space between scenery that made anything other than extreme ranger heavy kinda bad.
Port Azur - Not played.
Khudan Outskirts - I liked this map but it suffers a similar problem to Mountain Fortress in that it's not really an open map. Heavy infantry buils can work quite nicely and that has the potential to unbalance the map pool. I'd like to see it changed a bit if it's to be included in the future but I certainly see it as a potential keeper.
Castle Ruins - Not played.

Here's my breakdown as a player

Port Azur - Not played, surprised this got accepted(have a look at the map, it's bad and looks like the kind of thing I would put together when creating props at random). I would like this to get replaced by Nord town because Nord town actually never had any problems.

Shemaforash said:

Port Azur - Not played, surprised this got accepted(have a look at the map, it's bad and looks like the kind of thing I would put together when creating props at random). I would like this to get replaced by Nord town because Nord town actually never had any problems.
IMO, Vaegirs in nord town=win. It's pretty unbalanced.

Volky said:
Shemaforash said:

Nords were always superior in Nord Twon!

My Opinion on the maps

Village - I kinda missed it but Shariz is a good succesor.
Port Assault - Only when the high ground issues are fixed, then we can see the map again
Nord Town - The one I missed the most, the latest version is good but we may need to fix the camping on the second spawn
Snowy Village - Well if the hills are replaced by a frozen lake, then it may be cool
Ruined Fort - Die a horrible death. You suck

Fort of Honour -  The best this season, very balanced and fun. Kudos to Sphere
Shariz Village - Feels like Village 1.5. There is still room for improvement (Moar cav entrances please!) and some issues with tactics on this map makes it a hard map to decide if to keep or not
Verloren - Also good, loved the elevation on this map and how it was tactically used
Mountain Fortress - Didn't play it too often but it is better for siege not battle
Dry Valley - FIX THAT HILL (no seriously fix it). It is too open for me and everything is so spread out that none would leave the spawn.
Port Azur - Good but still a lot of room for improvement, along with some imbalance issues
Khudan Outskirts - It is a good MIXED map, you can vary your strategy from being the inf-heavy closed to the cav-arch-heavy open. A good map only fix the pork hill. It imbalances the gameplay sometimes
Castle Ruins - Felt too wierd for me for no apparent reason. Also it is biased for cav. Not keeping it

Volky said:
Shemaforash said:

There was an ENL week where it was Vaegirs vs Sarranids on Nord Town and I think it was the most one sided week we ever had with Sarranids taking a landslide victory. It's to do with the spawns, the lower spawn does a lot better than the higher one according to statistics I had before.

I enjoyed playing Port Azur tbh. I dont like it that much on public servers but its quite enjoyable and playable in matches.
I´d also like to see Nord Town back because this is one of the best maps imo. It allows fast and intense infantry battles but at the same time allows
some tactical crossfire working and the alleys are even open enough for cav to do its work.
(Maybe I only like it because I spend like 50% of my total match time on this map tho)
The other removed maps should stay death because most of them allow too much camping (snowy village is decent tho).
All new maps seem to work good in matches (except for khudan outskirts I never enjoyed it nor did I like the old version).

EDIT:
Captain Lust said:
Volky said:
Shemaforash said:

There was an ENL week where it was Vaegirs vs Sarranids on Nord Town and I think it was the most one sided week we ever had with Sarranids taking a landslide victory. It's to do with the spawns, the lower spawn does a lot better than the higher one according to statistics I had before.

Lower spawn worked better because it has access to 2 of 3 flags and forces the enemy to charge a postition with defenders having a great spot for archers on spawn.

Removed Maps
Village - I like the cheesy stuff you can do on village (trick jumps and stuff) but that's about it. Hopefully some new maps will have some dirty trickjumps etc.
Port Assault - Bye bye.
Nord Town - too many areas with only one entrance but would probably be fine with the new ruleset.
Snowy Village - Might work if you change the mountain flag. That's the main problem. Maybe move the village flag further away from the barn spawn and the mountain flag somewhere nearish the corner.
Ruined Fort - Bye bye.

New Maps
Fort of Honour - Good fun. I don't really like the invisible river walls but the map always played out pretty cool and interesting. Nice use of cabbages.
Shariz Village - Didn't stream this at all I don't think. Weirdly enough. The map seems solid from my experience playing with it.
Verloren - Ace. Totally nailed it.
Mountain Fortress - Ee. Not particularly interesting. That's it's main problem.
Dry Valley - Imo not totally hopeless. There aren't many open maps around either so I liked that aspect to it. I'd say with some reworked spawns and flags this could be a lot better.
Port Azur - Played it on public. Didn't really like it. Just... totally flat.
Khudan Outskirts - Nice to see a playable version of this but it just feels ridiculously small for an open map. The mobility of cav and the range of archers feels blunted by the fact it's so tiny.
Castle Ruins - Not played or seen.

Nord Town might be better, I think, if the flags were adjusted thus:

TzBFUpJ.png

Possible crossfire positions into all of the flag positions, but with both teams having the opportunity to suppress the opponent's crossfire. Having just one archer would suck with this version, though. All the positions are more contestable, as far as the scenarios I (quickly) ran in my head were concerned. Also makes cav somewhat more effective on all of the flag spawns.

Village - I always quite liked village myself, but it was quite a campy map since often the attackers would simply take over one of the gates and sit there not wanting to move any further into the village. It had a fair few options in how to approach it though and made scouting really important. I wouldn't be opposed to this returning.

Port Assault - Literally no decent options for attackers, the addition of the new alley added nothing and all the defenders had to was camp around the central house/alleys.

Nord Town - Had a fair few options once teams moved into the middle of the map but was ruined by the fortress like spawns which encouraged teams to camp. Pretty much every single round involved camping and the only way you could be aggressive was if your opponent deigned to leave their spawn. Wouldn't mind seeing a version with nerfed spawn positions but it would have to be more than the version on IG with the extra ladders.

Snowy Village - Always liked this map although many didn't, it was quite campy once again due to both teams having access to massive hills but at least there were some middle positions that could be taken that brought benefit for the flags. Always had gripes with the rough terrain though and the map felt very unpolished (also why were there areas randomly without snow all over it?). Would like to see it return but perhaps with the terrain redone.

Ruined Fort - Hill climbing simulator, glad I never played many matches on it.

-------------------------------------------------------

Fort of Honour - Great map, lots of options, no overpowering positions.

Shariz Village - Too defender biased still, the central tower and the positions around it hold the central flag extremely strongly and also divide up the village making it difficult for the attackers to gain control over two flags without assaulting that position. The side ladder doesn't really add much in terms of tactical value either. I would be interested in seeing this map with both teams spawning outside as the strength of the central position could then be fought over and taken, rather than immediately dominated by one team. It needs a fair amount of work anyway though in terms of adding options for teams.

Verloren - My own map but I feel its played out pretty well so far, should be even better on the new patch since players can move at full speed in the central tower.

Mountain Fortress - Like the map but it has a huge defender bias, I think it could be salvaged but it needs to get away from the defenders being able to so solidly control two of the flags (and get good positions for the third too). In general I don't think the attackers get enough to work with on the castle area and that area is very controlling on the map.

Dry Valley - This didn't play out like I hoped and I put that down to the scale of the map, would be fine with it being removed.

Khudan Outskirts - The layout of the map is generally fine but I have issues with the water and the trees, one of the spawns also gets people stuck in that small shed. The big hill also has quite steep slopes which I don't generally approve of especially for a section of the map around a flag. Steep slopes and deep water just don't work very well in this game and muck things up quite a lot. Would recommend increasing the height of all the trees so they don't impact visibility, reducing the depth of the water or making it inaccessible and also either reducing the accessibility to the slopes of the big hill or moving the flag spawn somewhere else so the hill is of less importance.

Removed Maps
Village - I kind of like this map, with some edits it could be a very good map. Native version is a bit too hard for attacker. My edit of this map makes it a bit easier for attacker by removing access to some places and adding more entrances to many roofs. My edit hasn't been tested yet so hmmmng.
Port Assault - I used to like this map before it got that damn expansion which made everyone just camp. I made an edit on this one too, trying to make it a bit easier for the attacker by offering an extra attack route and changing the flags so that only one flag is inside a house. My edit hasn't been tested yet.
Nord Town - **** map. Camping until flags 99% of the time.
Snowy Village - Otherwise good map but the hill(s) are too big, making movement too slow.
Ruined Fort - No comments lol.

New Maps
Fort of Honour - Good map. Liked it.
Shariz Village - ****. There's simply not enough ways to attack the village. It's like san'di'boush where opponent spawns in graveyard and has all flags in there, and you always had to attack from one entrance only.
Verloren - Pretty good. Except for that damn invisible wall fix pls. (just add anything there to make it look like there's no invisible wall or change to another building)
Mountain Fortress - Definitely not an open map. Just add some more things outside the castle and it's a great map. (And fix that log you can use to climb to the ruins)
Dry Valley - Bad. Too open and big for normal competitive play.
Port Azur - Bad. Just bad.
Khudan Outskirts - Didn't play.
Castle Ruins - It's just ruins, everywhere. "hey i'll go to the right ruins" - "WHICH RIGHT RUIN OLOL".

Removed Maps
Village - Really good map, balance on it doesn`t matter for me, cuz ther is spawn switch lol
Port Assault - Kinda annoying, one of the worst map for cav, all masters are on places where cav can`t arrive.
Nord Town - Best closed map imo. Would be nice, to see it back.
Snowy Village - Worst map in-game, my biggest losts in Warband was on this map ;/
Ruined Fort - Lot of fun, by runnig so fast to take good position in ruins, great map, I hope it will back.

New Maps
Fort of Honour - Good closed map, but for me better for free play, that for competitive matches.
Shariz Village - Great map, you need good tactic, to don`t go in to crossfire ; )
Verloren - Not bad, great idea with tunnel, it is nice way to kill enemies from behind.
Mountain Fortress - Really big map, but for me it is more closed than open.
Dry Valley - Bad imo no comment
Port Azur - I played it only at IG_BG, not bad, ther`s a lot of good places for xbows
Khudan Outskirts - Just changed a bit Snowy Hamlet
Castle Ruins - DIDN`T PLAY

sorz for my bad english.

Removed Maps :

~Village :My favorite map on FFA but for match I think it is too unbalanced,i hope someday a more balanced version will be released .

-Port Assault :Unbalanced,one spawn camp all the time,play Cav is very hard and i don't like it anyway

-Nord Town :Well, it's a good map on FFA,especially with more ladders like on IG but for match it's sooooo boring,it's just camp on the spawn and stay for the flag.Moreover i think Nord town is too similar with san'di'boush for the Gameplay.

~Snowy Village :I miss her ,i like shoot on the hill and it's the only map where you can do that,but for Cav and maybe infantry i think it's boring due to escalation

-Ruined Fort : No need to argue on that,RIP.

New Maps

+Fort of Honour :Very Good map,balanced,many strategic possibilities,pretty and with a rhodoks buldings(Never use before).

+Shariz Village :Good map,but i think she need more possibility for the outside spawn.

+Verloren :Very good map.I think the best custom map actually,ballanced,many strategic possibilites,pretty,i love fight on the tunnel or for the tower.Just one thing,fix this invisible wall please !

~Mountain Fortress :Never play on match.But i think it's more a "mixed map".

-Dry Valley :Never play on match.But I think it's too big,and maybe the cav is too much powerful

+Port Azur :My Map,and it is difficult to have an objective point of view but i think it's pretty,balanced, with a many strategic choice and i love especially epic battle for the flag and/or the ship.

~Khudan Outskirts :I like this map,but same thing for Mountain Fortress,it's a mixed map.

-Castle Ruins :This is a map look like ruins,but too much ruins,and like sota say on match you can't easly locate your mate;and i think spawn 2 is advantage because they have many "ruins house" near,for a better protection on your shooter.

Removed Maps

Village - I guess this map favours the defenders too much overall, although it was always quiet entertaining to play on this map. Maybe some major changes?
Port Assault - Favours defenders even more than Village, cavalry can't really do much if the enemy decides to camp the houses.
Nord Town - I always liked this map to be honest, would love to see it back.
Snowy Village - Huge, guess that's the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking of Snowy Village. Still is an open map by definition, maybe if we change the flag on the giant hill?
Ruined Fort - Bye.

New Maps

Fort of Honour - Really balanced closed map with lots of options for both teams, great.
Shariz Village - Still favours the defenders too much imo.
Verloren - Really like this map, both teams have various options.
Mountain Fortress - Too much of a mixed map, doesn't give you many options either.
Dry Valley - Too many good postions for rangers to shot down the cav immeditaly. Needs work.
Port Azur - Haven't played on this map yet.
Khudan Outskirts - I generally like this map quiet a lot, but there are some issue others already pointed out, eg. deep water, bugged spawn.
Castle Ruins - Haven't played on this map yet.

Volky said:
Shemaforash said:

Vaegirs on any map = win.

Village - Shariz Village certainly is a better choice for it's place imo.
Port Assault - It was a good map imo. Since factions and spawn points change, shouldnt be that much of a problem. All 3 flags are in the places that cav can't reach, if it can be fixed i'd love to play this map imo.
Nord Town - It was the best map ever imo. Really liked it in the past and would love to see it in the future.
Snowy Village - Never liked it. Huge. No idea, how to make it better. It's better if it stays dead imo.
Ruined Fort - Never seen anyone actually like it. Better if it wont be played.

Fort of Honour - It's more like a three laned DotA map, without a jungle imo. Didn't really like it as well.
Shariz Village - Completely a lot better than Village imo. Should be played in the future.
Verloren - To be honest, didn't really like it. I still think it should be played in the future tho. Every class works well in this map imo. Also quite an interesting map.
Mountain Fortress - I agree that it's mixed, but I still had fun playing in this map.
Dry Valley - Didn't like this one, neither.
Port Azur - Simply bad imo.
Khudan Outskirts - Haven't played on this map.
Castle Ruins - It's quite playable imo. Liked it as a ranger, don't know if it's bearable for inf. :smile:

I have some ideas how to make mountain fortress closed map if you really thinking about to use this map in future. I will work on it.
Btw. I have also note for another map makers who want to suggest another map in the future dont do normal cities/towns I think we have enough maps of this type. And try to do some open maps  :grin:

Removed Maps

Village - I like this map i dont see it so much unbalanced like others
Port Assault - Unbalanced
Nord Town - I didnt even know it was removed. Just dont make spawn so campy
Snowy Village - Just need to change flagspawns and expand or visible map borders
Ruined Fort -  no

New Maps

Fort of Honour - Mix of Nordtown and Sandibush I like it  :grin:
Shariz Village - Need more ways for attackers
Verloren - Quite good map I expected it worse
Mountain Fortress - I will work on it  :wink:
Dry Valley - Archer spam map too big for infantry and annoying rocks on flags spawns make it bad for cav
Port Azur - Not played
Khudan Outskirts - Not played
Castle Ruins - Not played

I got back from work, grabbed a cold beer so I can write down a few words of mine  :wink:
Removed Maps

Village - I like this map, there so many tactics which you can use there that it's not necessarily auto-win for defenders even though that map is advantageous for them.

Port Assault - It has been always an unbalanced map but now when there is a new broadwalk and few more options for a successful attack it isn't so bad to be honest.

Nord Town - I don't know why this map isn't in rotation :O It's a good map with many options to do for both sides and with new version which is on IG BG I would really like to see it in future competitions.

Snowy Village - hmm that's a hard call I've played this map so much that for some time I really hated it but now it doesn't look so bad for me, I'm neutral on this.

Ruined Fort - http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

New Maps

Fort of Honour - I have a mixed feelings about this map  :neutral:

Shariz Village - It's quite enjoyable map to play and I think it should be used in future competitions.

Verloren - Map perfect for a tense group fights, I think it's balanced for both sides and it depends on fraction what will you do, I would really like to play on it again in the future  :wink:

Mountain Fortress - I don't like it.

Dry Valley - For me it's the most unbalanced map which I have seen, it shouldn't be used again.

Port Azur - It's an average map and maybe after a serious rebuilt it might be used in the future, now it's isn't good enough, I think for competitions.

Khudan Outskirts - I really liked this map and after some minor fixes I think it can replace Snowy Village as one of the snow map :grin:

Castle Ruins - For me it seemed like an almost copy of Ruins with all of these walls and buildings, I'm neutral on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQ0vDAbF7s

I did some big changes to make Mountain fortress closed map and I also moved spawn of attackers closer to fort.
Screens:
hig1.jpg

E7E556C135DFE15A1B46A678D919211F9D575460

4D157B769846C7F32CE8C90EFD5B8783D8E13DAC

CCA26E89D61CB268D22741517B95D6F5AB7BDD11

7C2F7A041C9B86E2108B211719505F036411CE75

B1B6691EE7881B7B0F785D3FD953A7E8973BF550
Download:
http://ulozto.net/xSiKaXW4/scn-multi-scene-custom-14-sco

If you have any feedbacks or ideas write it to me or here. I have now lot of time so I can work really fast  :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom