Looking for good speakers: Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

As the set of computer speakers which I use right now are probably around ~10 years old (no bull****; they used to go with my mom's ancient Gateway 2000 desktop), I'm looking for some better speakers, as I'm sure there are speakers out there which provide much better sound then this old pair which I'm using now. I don't really know anything about speakers, but I'm looking for something with quite good sound quality. The maximum price is probably around $60-$70 USD, although of course I'd like it if it was less. Do you guys have any recommendations? 

I've been using two amps (a Technics from early 80's and a newer Sony one, one for front speakers and another for rear) and speakers from random other stereo sets, for close to nothing at all. Might not be good 'nough for an audiophile, but has served their purposes more than well enough for me.

Also had a guitar amp serving as sub/centre speaker back when it was still working :razz:

I personally have a pair of Logitech Z-10 stereo loudspeakers.
Highly recommended. Clear sound with good bass.
http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-10/4505-3179_7-32062002.html

There is also Logitech Z520 Speaker System that I haven't tried:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980-000338-Z520-Speaker-System/dp/B002L3TSMA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce/275-8469817-1243659

Or the popular Gigaworks:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Gigaworks-Series-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B001IZZ2PE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_3/275-8469817-1243659

Adorno said:
I personally have a pair of Logitech Z-10 stereo loudspeakers.
Highly recommended. Clear sound with good bass.
http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-10/4505-3179_7-32062002.html
Well, the Z-10s sound good, but I can't find any new sets anywhere, and I don't need some beat-up used pair that's crap, so I may be out of luck when it comes to the Z-10s.

As of right now, I'm looking into the Logitech Z523 Speaker System. Any thoughts?

Pay the extra $40 for the z623. 200 watt PC speakers are yummy. I use them, and they are the best you can find for the price.

Sir Arvondor said:
As of right now, I'm looking into the Logitech Z523 Speaker System. Any thoughts?
They look fine. At that price range it's probably a good buy if you don't plan on playing loud at parties.
Personally I'm always sceptic of these 2.1 systems (having had a few) because the satellites tend to be weak,
putting the heavy load on the subwoofer. It gives a good, powerful 360 degrees sound,
but also a somewhat muddy sound without the fine tunes - the treble sort of drowns.

Adorno said:
if you don't plan on playing loud at parties.
No, I sure won't be using these at parties. I'm not the party type. I've never had that kind of party, and I don't plan on having any in the future. The only things I use the current speakers for is gaming and the occasional piece of music, like this one. I don't blast tunes, I don't listen to any of that metal or rap or whatever you call that obnoxious modern ****e. I generally have the speaker volume on about 50% or lower, so any troubles the speakers may have at max volume probably won't affect me. I'm basically looking for a newer set of speakers to serve the same purpose as the old set, just with better sound quality.

Also, I don't really need the 360 degree sound (the speakers will be on a shelf above my desk, which is against the wall); I just can't find any other speakers within my price range that I can just buy on Amazon without a hitch, and that have the sort of positive reviews from multiple critics that the Z523's have.

You ofcourse can ignore me as I'm not trying to answer your question, but why do you need speakers? Comfortable, open type headphones seem like a better idea.
I'm no expert at this stuff(and thus this comment might be rendered useless) but I couldn't see the difference between the best speaker and the best headset that I heard.

CaptainAndrew said:
You ofcourse can ignore me as I'm not trying to answer your question, but why do you need speakers? Comfortable, open type headphones seem like a better idea.
I'm no expert at this stuff(and thus this comment might be rendered useless) but I couldn't see the difference between the best speaker and the best headset that I heard.
I happen to have both. I use the the headset for when I want to listen to something and not bother anyone else, and the speakers for when I feel like "cranking it up" a bit (usually when I'm alone in the house) and really listening to some good sound at a higher volume than what would be probably comfortable with my headset.

Also: I just took a look and found out what my old speakers are: they are a pair of Altec Lansing GCS100 computer speakers. I'd imagine it's definitely time for an upgrade.  :lol:

I don't quite remember. It's been a while since I actually used a desktop, much less a 2.0 speaker set up. My dad is quick on the uptake when it comes to audio quality stuff.

Arvenski said:
Amontadillo said:
Sir Arvondor said:
I don't listen to any of that metal [...] obnoxious modern ****e.
**** off.
I just knew people would start raising their hackles over that remark.  :razz:

You should try Epica, Nightwish, or Orden Ogan and then declare your opinion on obnoxious modern stuff :smile:

BTW - what speakers did you settle on and how do you like them?

Uh, why did you just necro a thread that's been dead for a year?

And to answer your question, I didn't "settle on" any speakers. I was probably going to get a new set (I can't remember if I decided on the Z523s or if I was going for something else), but I needed my parents to buy it online (as I don't have a credit card or other way to pay for stuff online, but I was probably planning on paying them back in cash), and my mom decided that even though she hadn't done any research on speakers and she's just about clueless when it comes to technology anyway, she still knew better than me. After that I decided to just forget it. In the end, my dad got me a nice Bose 2.0 speaker system for Christmas. They're different from the old Altec Lansings (the Bose system might not have as much bass), but they're good nonetheless. 

Necro? To get the answer to my question of course!  :roll:

And 'cause Google placed this thread at the top when I punched in my search.

Alas, I cannot afford Bose but I'm sure they sound great.

Now go listen to some Epica (YouTube "Epica Acoustic") and learn what real music sounds like.  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom