Egypt, Morsi, and the coup

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhessail

Panzervixen
Grandmaster Knight
Short recap for those who don't know - about a year ago, during the Arab Spring, protesters in Egypt convinced the Army to support them and thus the dictator Mubarak was overthrown. People rejoiced. The first freely elected president was to be a chap named Morsi, from the Muslim Brotherhood. He was elected on a pretty narrow margin, a fact which already signaled the division of Egypt between the educated, liberal city folk, and the traditional, religious rural folk - a gross generalization but bare with me. During that first year, Morsi tried to weaken the power of the judiciary, the one branch of the government his party couldn't control and, instead of focusing on the ailing economy, spend most of his time pushing Egypt to become a more religious, Islamic state. This did not sit well and the protests started again. After a week or so of protests, the Army stepped in again, imprisoned Morsi in a secret location, appointed a interim President and has published a roadmap for the future of Egypt. The liberals calmed down but now Islamic Brotherhood is protesting and often violently.

Now the latest twist on the story is that Morsi colluded with Hamas in 2011 and 2012:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23464036
which is pretty ridiculous and obviously a legalistic cover - an excuse for the Army to keep Morsi detained.

Big rallies from both sides are expected to happen today and over the weekend. Will there be blood? Will Egypt descend into a civil war with secularists and liberals - supported by the Army - on one side, and the Muslim Brotherhood on the other side?

Of course there will be blood. Tensions run too high on a subject this charged for nothing to happen. Either the protesters will come to blows, or the army will start shooting to "maintain the peace". I can't see a civil war starting yet though. Lots of verbal denouncements of one another and violent protests but the army will act hard before allowing another Libya or Syria.  it's more likely we'll start seeing suicide bombings and the like, unfortunately.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Man, all I ever wanted to do was see the pyramids and fulfil that sense of unfulfillment.  :cry:
Are they still open for business?

You can go see them. Just can't go in them anymore... unless you know the right people to give a tenner to.
(Source: Some dude who comes into the pub I work at who went last month)

I'm all for secularization of the country. I think the military coup was an excellent thing, as I oppose any totalitarianism whatsoever.

It will be interesting to see how the situation developes. I'm concerned that the supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood will start more trouble than they can fix, however. Suicide bombings will start soon.

But I think it's a turn for the better. If the army manages to keep things under control in Egypt, I believe they will get rid of Islamofascism.

No, they won't manage to keep things under control. The oldschool Pan-Arab secularists have been on the way out in the muslim world for decades, and will continue to lose ground politically. If the political expression of Islam that is common as bread and butter continues to be repressed it will just come out in (more) violent ways.

Either the military cracks down further, largely bringing back the excesses of the Mubarak era, or the MB continue to escalate protests, possibly leading to civil war. I suppose reconciliation is possible, but all attempts so far have been rejected by one or both sides.

Jhessail said:
the Muslim Brotherhood

I wish they'd find a different name for themselves, because here's what always pops up into my brane whenever I read/hear 'Brotherhood':

sV64N.jpg

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Jhessail said:
the Muslim Brotherhood

I wish they'd find a different name for themselves, because here's what always pops up into my brane whenever I read/hear 'Brotherhood':

sV64N.jpg

*****es wish they had swagger like Magneto.

I guess it just goes to show, the greatest strife a nation can suffer comes from one group believing that they're the only people that live in their country.

Jhessail said:
The first freely elected president was to be a chap named Morsi, from the Muslim Brotherhood. He was elected on a pretty narrow margin, a fact which already signaled the division of Egypt between the educated, liberal city folk, and the traditional, religious rural folk - a gross generalization but bare with me.

Well, not quite. The Muslim Brotherhood prevailed in the elections following Mubarak's downfall because during his reign members were allowed to run in elections and take political office, solely because the Muslim Brotherhood on the whole was ostensibly not a political faction, thus its members had the experience and infrastructure to run for office once the Arab Spring occurred and the Muslim Brotherhood turned into a much more overtly political force. Meanwhile, the liberals and others who had protested in the streets, had been allowed no parties (at least of any power worth note) under Mubarak's rule, had no party infrastructure set up for the running of an election, and with the struggle resulting from differing viewpoints and ambitious leaders clashing with each other within the new liberal parties, they could not offer enough of a unified front to put up a reasonable opposition to the Muslim Brotherhood. That the only other major candidate on the ballot was a former member of Mubarak's regime illustrated this more than anything.

So I'd say the issues now aren't resulted from some major societal divide between city folk and rural people, as you suggest, but that the opposition is struggling to organize itself into a reasonable force, while the Muslim Brotherhood attempted to solidify its power over Egypt and prevent the liberal parties from becoming a force to be reckoned with.

It's crazy how all of these elections are always decided at around 50%. It seems like no matter how big or small a country is everyone likes to split elections down the middle and Egypt is one of the countries that weren't carved up or artificially drawn on a map and they still have to do the old 50/50 routine, with one hhalf being enraged at the other.

As far as the Muslim Brotherhood being thirty years older than the X-Men goes that may be true, but don't count those old geezers out yet. They may be relying on wheelchairs and their eyesight isn't what it used to be but they'll put up a fight.

Back
Top Bottom