PREVIOUS EVENT: Battle of Eoferwic (21/7/13)

Users who are viewing this thread

Here my pics. Lot of shieldwall screenshots, though.

ttfa.jpg
hwm6.jpg
dqh8.jpg
ype0.jpg
rqrz.jpg
f2qr.jpg
yb6u.jpg
ou8a.jpg
32j9.jpg
2n9r.jpg
yiyq.jpg
o8i8.jpg
tyir.jpg
l073.jpg
461t.jpg
rpi8.jpg
y2l4.jpg
1vv2.jpg

This was my first time playing Vikingr, so obviously i was in the norman public host! It was really fun even though we lost, can't wait for the next one!

I think the event itself, speaking of the game, battles and stuff, was great.. just a little bit of lag.. not sure if due to my pc or connection... but what i mean it seems nobody suffered crashes or authorization key failure... so this is good!

Secondly, since my side won the event was great! :grin:

Seriously, big thanks to the organizers, admins and researchers no one excluded, for have made this. Big up for the guy who made all the people to use TeamSpeak.

Normant were just slaughtered by Nordmenn but this is not a surprise, and it's not a surprise someone of them didn't show up... a classic! :grin:
Jokes apart, battle rounds were good, but the conquest map was too fast.

As said 1 year ago, in my opinion the map is a great map but not exploited in its full greatness. Why? Because the strategic role it could play is totally wasted by the modality an host may win. In few words: it's just a team deathmatch.
It would be of great benefit if the victory of the map is decided by the host holding all the 4 flags. Instead of continuing respawn you could set something like 5 or even 10 lives available per player. In this case defending the bridges or the flag square itself would worth it.

Last thing, but not least, thanks again to Erlingar for have allowed me to join their clan for the event, it was great fun and I hope I was helpful for their cause! Hail to you!

Watching Silent Matt's video and remembering how I saw it from my position, it's interesting that the hosts were very balanced, in my opinion. While we Normans lost all the rounds bar one, more often than not it looked like we would win at some point during the fight, and I never felt we simply couldn't win no matter what we did. The low Fir Áraig numbers hurt us, but I feel with decent tactics we could still have won.

That's for the Battle rounds at least. I had no idea what was going on during the Conquest round. Not a fan of this game mode, even though it worked well for the Þeodloga event. I would suggest revisiting the Hardcore Siege mode or trying to figure out a way to do a Hardcore Conquest-like thingy with no respawns for the next event, if it fits with the general project.

Conquest have been a bit too brief this time, maybe. I understand the event lasted an hour or so already, so it didn't need to be a new Þeodloga (or was it Danegeld?), but still it felt more like a battle with respawns.

I'll just live this here and you are all free to hate: I would have preferred a punishing battle/siege (remember that event?), with the losing team defending a strong point against the attackers (that would have actually risked a lot in their assault). If we have lost almost all of the battles there is no reason to believe we could have been able to win a conquest map like that. A no respawn siege may have balanced things better for us normans, even if, well, our main advantage (cav) would have been useless.

Since I'm here, I wish to thank the organizers, since I forgot yesterday. It was (in my memory) on the best organized events I've played in Vikingr, with limited waiting times and everything working as it should have.

Rallix said:
Well, it's nice to know I'm appreciated.  :smile:
The event wasn't the best (although I found the server this time) but you were pretty awesome. Would be subordinate to again.

I think a last map in siege mod is a good idea. Also it could reflect how things are be supposed to be, with an army constantly defeated having the last chance to survive protected by the walls of their own keep.

No respawn is way too hardcore though...

C_Ronin_Rico said:
I think a last map in siege mod is a good idea. Also it could reflect how things are be supposed to be, with an army constantly defeated having the last chance to survive protected by the walls of their own keep.

No respawn is way too hardcore though...

I found it thrilling last time we did that for that exact reason. Well, not so much exciting for the unlucky guy hit by the first arrow, but that's why it was fun. You are not worried to enter the kingdom of heaven (or valhalla) but the kingdom of boredom, but still you are worried a lot more than you usually are.

Yeah, that feeling of there being a lot at stake is important for the experience, in my opinion. I haven't really felt it since the Þeodloga, because that was a quite personal thing :razz:, but I felt it at Eafanheall.

Still, it depends on the next organizer, whoever it is. It's up to them to come up with a project that may or may not include hardcore siege.

Hmfh, I missed it :/ Sorry, something just came up and couldn't make it. Hopefully you had fun, though.
Hopefully I can make it next time.

hrotha said:
Still, it depends on the next organizer, whoever it is. It's up to them to come up with a project that may or may not include hardcore siege.

Do you throw the towel hrotha? :smile:

Well I understand it's a lot of stress to organize an event.

I'm sorry that I couldn't turn up and hope you had a good time.

And again, sorry Willelme for the complications I have made for you, but I told you I wasn't 100% sure to be able to make it.

hrotha said:
Watching Silent Matt's video and remembering how I saw it from my position, it's interesting that the hosts were very balanced, in my opinion. While we Normans lost all the rounds bar one, more often than not it looked like we would win at some point during the fight, and I never felt we simply couldn't win no matter what we did. The low Fir Áraig numbers hurt us, but I feel with decent tactics we could still have won.

That's for the Battle rounds at least. I had no idea what was going on during the Conquest round. Not a fan of this game mode, even though it worked well for the Þeodloga event. I would suggest revisiting the Hardcore Siege mode or trying to figure out a way to do a Hardcore Conquest-like thingy with no respawns for the next event, if it fits with the general project.

Aye, I can see a lot of people are saying that conquest was too short, it may have been that the score we started at was 300 while at Þeodloga event it was higher (600-900 or something like that).

I loved Eafanell. It was a very good idea to have hardcore siege, because it gave you the feeling of a true soldier, you would not kamikaze attack like in most sieges. You would fear for your own safety first, unless you were a man would no brains.

For those that miss the event, here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwPqVBRSbZY  ; not much of the last round of the battle (prior to conquest)was recorded since I lost connection at the time, but I managed to get the last moments of it.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Had to be away for the entire afternoon, only learned of it at lunch time... Sucked. Hope you guys had fun.
Don't worry Harky, I had to go see the [deep manly voice]woman[/deep manly voice] and thus missed out too. Sounds like it was good fun!

SilentMatthew said:
For those that miss the event, here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwPqVBRSbZY  ; not much of the last round of the battle (prior to conquest)was recorded since I lost connection at the time, but I managed to get the last moments of it.
Ah, pity, that was my favourite round. We were steamrolling the Anglo-Danes in front of us, and anywhere I looked there were Normans ganging up on some poor guy. Everything was going great, we were definitely winning that one. We mopped up the last pockets of resistance, we turned around to celebrate... and that's when I saw that the Anglo-Danes had done the same in the other flank. For 10 seconds or so there was a respite in the fight as both sides reformed, two shieldwalls of roughly the same size by the river, getting ready for the definitive engagement. We can't lose this one, I thought, not after the exhilaration of believing we had already won. But we did. And it was awesome.

Great video none the less!

SilentMatthew said:

25th min, love the battle for the bridge! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom