PREVIOUS EVENT: Battle of Eoferwic (21/7/13)

Users who are viewing this thread

Takeda_Shingen

Sergeant Knight
rqkl.jpg

A.D. 1069
Three years after the earls and lords of England were forced to accept Willelme as their king

It has been three years since the bloody battle of Hæstingas where Willelme li Bastarz defeated the English at Senlac Ridge, killing the last Saxon king of England. Crowned on 25th December 1066, Willelme is now king of England, what he believes is rightfully his. However, far in the North sea, in 1069, Willelme's enemies begin to close in on his newly conquered land.

Sveinn Danakonungr Ástríðarson is sailing with his Danish army towards England's northern coast, seeking a chance for power and riches. Making a secret deal with Eadgar æþeling, the Norðmenn and the Engle plan to meet near the city of Eoferwic, where the lord of the area, Willelme Malez, is trapped. Seeing this, he sends a desperate message to the king for aid.

Raising his army, Willelme marches at the head to destroy the Norðmenn and their Northumbrian allies along with them. Meeting on a relatively flat plain, perfect for Willelme's mighty chevalers, the two sides will clash to decide the future of England and whether Willelme and his Normant will keep the land or a Saxon king will be restored once more.​

Marching from Lundene comes the host of the Armee Reial Normande, composed of veteran infantry, archers and cavalry from the decisive battle at Hæstingas and men proving their loyalty to their king. It also contains the elitest of the elite of the cavalry, the Cumpaigne de la Reine Matilde, men that would die for Willelme. The Wardecors de Willelme Malet come out from Eoferwic to aid the king as they march to confront the invaders.​

Armee Reial Normande
(Norman Royal Army)

Reis Willelme d’Engleterre

Cumpaigne de la Reine Matilde [7]
Matilda Squadron

*Reis Willelme d’Engleterre*
(Willelme d'Iveri)
Balduin de Normandie
Boemund de Normandie
Erkembalt de Normandie
Maurice de Normandie
Serle de Normandie
&
Buthud de Normandie
(Les Maisnees del Vis****e d'Iveri)

Wardecors de Willelme Malet [17]
Retinue of William Malet

normanbanner.png

*Willelme Malez*
(Balduin de Runeville)
Avenel
Waleran li Bastarz
Herman filz Norman
Turbert filz Fublert
Freelancer_SilentMatt
Waldin filz Rainer
Gualtierius the Wanderer
Faramir
Sopel
Lambert Leiters
Basequin of Tolewast
Quentyn Hugh
Grimaldur
Willelme filz Henri
Berenger
Harald Trygvarrson
(Public Host)

Maisun de Furnun [9]
House of Furne

*Ascuin de Furnun*
Frouin de Furnun
Imbrant de Furnun
Ramunt de Furnun
Raulf de Furnun
Rodbert de Furnun
Waulf de Furnun
&
Oliver Engulenfanz
Hasculf
(Fyrningas)

Gent de Bretaigne [-]
Men of Brittany

*Waleri de Bretaigne*
(Ualraig Fer Áraig)
(Fir Áraig)

Hom de Willelme filz Osbern [13]
Men of William fitz Osbern

huiginnbanner.jpg

*Willelme filz Osbern*
(Áed mac Néill Ua hUiginn)
Rainald de Hereford
Widmund de Hereford
Berenger de Hereford
Rainer de Hereford
Rainulf de Hereford
Hasculf de Hereford
Osmund de Hereford
Willelme de Hereford
Turstin de Hereford
Franc de Hereford
Gerveis de Hereford
Arnost de Hereford
(Clann Uí hUiginn)

Sailing from their homes in Denmark, Sveinn Danakonungr Ástríðarson leads a force of Danes and Northumbrian allies against the Normant. His Hirð Sveins konungs are warriors worth fearing and even his Norþhymbre can stand out in a fight although are not as well trained as their Danish allies. Nevertheless, they all march south to meet Willelme and his Norman army.​

Danaherferð
(Danish Expedition)

Sveinn Danakonungr Ástríðarson

Hirð Sveins konungs [8]
Bodyguards of the King

*Sveinn Danakonungr Ástríðarson*
a.k.a. Sveinn konungr Úlfsson
(Þorkell Erlinga)
Hengwulf Erlinga
Swúlfr Logason Erlinga
Jófriðr Járnskeggjadóttir Erlinga
Harkon Haakonson Erlinga
&
Finnólfr
Horða-Karl
Apsod
(Erlingar)

Norþhymbre [27]
Northumbrians

viking_banner_scaled.png

*Eadgar æþeling*
(Dróttin Björn Sturluson)
Wernicke
Wulfstan
Jorund Gerpir
Brenn Berahart
Leof Berahart
Gustaff Berahart
Allanf
Waestan Berahart
Bjornulfr
DoctorPainkiller
Ruaidri na Luimneach
Arinbjorn Sturluson
Geirr Sturluson
Loki Thorbiorn
Grimr
Olvir Grimsson
Jorundr inn Havi
Saeko Rei
Orn inn Raudi
Olaf Ursaborn
Regenhere se reada
Loxley
Ragnarr Hersir Jomsborg
Momcilo
Hyrningr
Bregowulf
(Public Host)

Hæringar [13]
Hoar's Folk

Eiríkr rauðskegg (Leifr)
Sygtryggr hroðgasson (Aethelwulf)
Egill hausaklufr (Big Mac)
Bleddyn dwrn (Zah)
Bróðir (Gibby)
Gunnar Járnskeggi (KOcken)
Þórr (Thunaraz)
Grímarr (Davee)
Fingeirr (Fyrd)
(Gule)
(Nahkuri)
(Monkey)
Turenki
(Hæringar)

[td]

Væringjar [5]
Varangians

*Halfdan*
Ubba
Griff
Haraldr
Navnols
(Varangian Guard)
[/td]

[td]

Vikingar av Yuloin [9]
Vikings of Yuloin

*Bolverkr av Yuloin*
Ragi av Yuloin
Leif av Yuloin
Diarf av Yuloin
Styrkar av Yuloin
Gunnlaugr av Yuloin
Rognvald av Yuloin
Torfi av Yuloin
Helga av Yuloin
Halla av Yuloin
(Chasa Yuloin)
[/td]

[td]

Fenrisbörn [5]
Fenris' Children of the North

*Ubba FenrisBarn*
Yngvald FenrisBarn
Dragomir FenrisBarn
Bernardr FenrisHirdr
Baleigr FenrisHirdr
(FenrisBarn)
[/td]

TIME AND PLACE
The event will be held on 21st July at 19:00 BST (click to see the day and hour for your own region). Please note that this day and hour may change if another time suits most players better.

All participants will be required to be present in the TeamSpeak channel to hear and follow the instructions of their captains. A microphone is not needed.

Teamspeak server details: 176.9.103.48:9986
Server: Hildileikr
Server password: Will be announced on Teamspeak shortly before the event starts

BATTLE MODE
It will be on the new Eoferwic map and there'll be three rounds, a short break and then another three rounds, equalling six rounds of battle in total. The first round of battle will be around 10 minutes longer for both commanders (Willelme and Þorkell) to make a speech to their troops before the killing begins. The losing side will be forced to retreat to the city of Eoferwic itself, where a conquest battle will be fought. If one side has won both rounds of battle, they still need to win at the conquest map to confirm the victory. If the losing side of the battle rounds wins at the conquest, there'll be three more rounds on the Eoferwic map to decide the event. The winner of those final rounds of battle is declared the winner.

SIGN-UP
Signing up is not necessary but is certainly encouraged for smoother organisation. Regular Víkingr clans are invited to sign up as clans, but asked to name and number those of their members who will come. Non-Víkingr clans must sign up individually. Non-affiliated players signing up must state which name they'll be using during the event and, if they have a preference, which side they wish to fight for, but they must join one of the public hosts: the Wardecors de Willelme Malet for the Normant and the Norþhymbre for the Norðmenn. Furthermore, members of those public hosts must use the default faction banner. If any of these non-affiliated players would like to join a particular clan in battle, they are advised to contact the leader of that clan. They are also expected to play as Pedaile (Normant) or Liði (Norðmenn). The organisers of the event will retain the privilege to allocate clans and non-affiliated players to either host for balancing purposes.

The class slots will be assigned by the leaders of each side.

CONTACT
For questions and/or suggestion you are free to post in this thread or send a private forum message or Steam message to Visquens Willelme d'Iveri or Þorkell Erlinga, the organisers of the event. If you wish help with translation or want a special name and tags for the event, contact Hrōþa Fyrninga.

PROMOTION
Feel free to use this signature to promote the event in this or other forums:
7gb3.jpg

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,278243.0.html][IMG]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9388/7gb3.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Everyone is encouraged to take screenshots or make recordings of the event itself.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
Big Thanks to Hrōþa and Þorkell for key advice and cruical aid, Another one to Hrōþa for help with the translations, to Helies de Runeville for the Eoferwic map and last but no means least, Skvor for the illustrations, art and signature.

Download the event map here if you want to skip the wait during the event. Place the file in your SceneObj folder (...Vikingr\Modules\Vikingr\SceneObj). Say 'yes' when asked if you want to overwrite the file.

Annoucements and Useful Information
Applications/Sign-Ups Closed
Reminder of Rules

Further Reading of the Battle of Eoferwic and its history
  • There is no wiki link to this battle, however, you can read about Norman Rule After 1066.
  • Read about William's life in total on Wikipedia.
  • William Malet is one of 15 "Proven Companions" in the Companions of William the Conqueror.
  • William Malet's life on Wikipedia.
  • Read the life of Sweyn II of Denmark on Wikipedia.
  • Read Sworn Sword by James Aitcheson, the book that inspired me to make the event. It can be found here.
  • There is also some information of Robert de Commines, the Norman Earl of Northumberland, whose death is what drove William to march north. The information is found here.

Period Names
Players are encouraged to choose and sign up with appropriate period names. If you are joining the Armee Reial Normande, you may wish to choose a Norman name. A list can be found below, supplied wonderfully by Hrōþa: Norman Names.

However, if you are joining the Danaherferð, you may wish to find a Norse name. Such names can be found here: Norse Names.

If you wish for an Anglo-Saxon name, such names can be found here: Engle Names.

It is highly advisible that you read all the information provided so you know that your name is correct and it works. If you need extra help, I would recommend talking to Hrōþa Fyrninga, who is our main translator for the event.

Looks interesting. I'm sure my people'll be up for it. Sign us up for the Normant.

huiginnbanner.jpg

Clann Uí hUiginn attendee's

Áed mac Néill Ua hUiginn - Willelme filz Osbern
Fear Ua hUiginn - Rainald de Hereford
Vémundr Ua hUiginn - Widmund de Hereford

Cinnéidigh Ua hUiginn -
Odrán Ua hUiginn - Berenger de Hereford
Máel Petair Ua hUiginn - Rainer de Hereford
Néde mac Paitín Ua hUiginn -
Lonngargán Ua hUiginn - Rainulf de Hereford
Morgan - Hasculf de Hereford
Finnchad Ua hUiginn - Osmund de Hereford
Ragnarr Ua hUiginn -
Cummascach Ua hUiginn - Willelme de Hereford
Sven Ua hUiginn - Turstin de Hereford
Erik Ua hUiginn - Franc de Hereford
Akael - Gerveis de Hereford

Editz: 15th/07/
Eóin Ua hUiginn - Arnost de Hereford

So far, still waiting for replies and Norman names.​

I'd love to join Danaherferð, Norþhymbre side.

I'd also prefer to keep my usual nickname if this doesn't bother too much the admins... maybe not perfectly historical but I think it fits pretty well.
However I will be glad to change it for the good of immersion.

Looking good! The Maisun de Furnun will muster its forces once again.

Remember to include Anglo-Saxon names for the Norse public host, since it will be made up of English Northumbrians (in this instance, it's regrettable that the Norse faction banner is so distinctively Norse :p - but maybe they could use a different one?).

C_Ronin_Rico said:
I'd love to join Danaherferð, Norþhymbre side.

I'd also prefer to keep my usual nickname if this doesn't bother too much the admins... maybe not perfectly historical but I think it fits pretty well.
However I will be glad to change it for the good of immersion.

Yes, I will be adding Anglo-Saxon Names soon for authenticity.

hrotha said:
Remember to include Anglo-Saxon names for the Norse public host, since it will be made up of English Northumbrians (in this instance, it's regrettable that the Norse faction banner is so distinctively Norse :p - but maybe they could use a different one?).

It is difficult as we cannot really use the Engle faction banner as the people will not be able to have it in-game. It may have to be the case that they have to keep with the Norse banner, but we shall see if there is a more authentic one.

Well, I was working under the assumption that these weren't just Anglo-Danes, but also regular ethnic Englishmen. Basically, Northumbrians as a whole. But I know very little about this battle.

Regardless, "Anglo-Dane" is not a label they'd have used themselves, so I figure "Norþhymbre" works well.

Harras_banner_scaled.png

Eiríkr rauðskegg (Leifr)
Sygtryggr hroðgasson (Aethelwulf)
Egill hausaklufr (Big Mac)
Bleddyn dwrn (Zah)
Bróðir (Gibby)
Gunnar Járnskeggi (KOcken)
Þórr (Thunaraz)
Grímarr (Davee)
Fingeirr (Fyrd)
(Gule)
(Nahkuri)
(Monkey)

You know the drill.
:wink:

Oh this looks great but I won't make it as I'll be in on holidays in Germany then...............

Takeda_Shingen said:
Period Names
Players are encouraged to choose and sign up with appropriate period names. If you are joining the Armee Reial Normande, you may wish to choose a Norman name. A list can be found below, supplied wonderfully by Hrōþa.

However, if you are joining the Danaherferð, you may wish to choose a Nordic name. Such a list can be found below.
Þorsteinn
Þórðr
Þorkell
Þorbiǫrn
Þórir
Þorgeirr
Helgi
Þórarinn
Ketill
Biǫrn
Þorgrímr
Grímr
Þórólfr
Þorgils
Einarr
Eyvindr
Þorvaldr
Ormr
Þormóðr
Oddr
Þorleifr
Úlfr
Brandr
Hrólfr
Óláfr
Ásgeirr
Bárðr
Eyiólfr
Halldórr
Hallr
Hrafn
Sigurðr
Atli
Ásbiǫrn
Ingialdr
Eysteinn
Skeggi
Snorri
Arnórr
Hróaldr
Steinn
Steinólfr
Ǫnundr
Ásmundr
Biarni
Bǫðvarr
Illugi
Jǫrundr
Már
Þóroddr
Eiríkr
Hildir
Þorfinnr
Þrándr
Ǫrn
Auðun
Egill
Guðmundr
Gunnarr
Heriólfr
Sigmundr
Þorlákr
Héðinn
Ófeigr
Vémundr
Þorbrandr
Ǫzurr
Án
Jón
Kolbeinn
Kollr
Sǫlvi
Þorleikr
Þorvarðr
Þróndr
Ǫlvir
Ǫrnólfr
Ari
Eilífr
Finnr
Geirmundr
Gizurr
Hallsteinn
Haraldr
Kiallakr
Kolli
Loftr
Sturla
Þórhallr
Flosi
Gísli
Guðlaugr
Gunnsteinn
Hallvarðr
Hólmsteinn
Hrappr
Hóskuldr
Óleifr
Refr
Surtr
Sveinbiǫrn
Torfi
Þorbergr
Arngrímr
Álfr
Bergþórr
Bersi
Glúmr
Hallbiǫrn
Hámundr
Hǫgni
Kári
Óttarr
Sighvatr
Steingrímr
Þorberger

Partizandr Russon. Quite a name.

Norse Female Names :
Þórný  :grin:

I had a look into anglo-saxons names, I think "Finn" is ok (what a change!), I confirm Norþhymbre side.

I am sorry, but as things are now sides don't seem balanced at all. Not only about numbers, but also about experience of the game. I'm sure other clans will join the event sooner than later, yet I think sides are biased toward Norman side.

Merging together maison d'iveri, runevilles, fyrningas and fir araig it's biasing the game, dont you think so?  :smile:

Ah, Finn, don't fret. Have some faith in the organizers.

For starters, you seem to forget the Hæringar have sort-of signed up, and they're a Norse clan.

hrotha said:
Ah, Finn, don't fret. Have some faith in the organizers.

I do have.

But the last event I was able to attend, the infamous one where in the middle of the battle the server crashed and people weren't able to join again because of authorization key failures, shown how a lower numbers team but packed with ultra-expert players were able to overwhelm an horde full of newbies pretty easily. Here they come my concerns.

Anyway, as I said before the lineups for the event are far to be finished yet, so probably I have spoken too early :smile:

I know how to not have that issue happen, and have said so on this forum. So, I hope it was taken heed of and it wont happen this time around :smile:

Just remember, the thread has only been on for 24 hours, and there are still quite a few more clans to sign up, most of who will likely go onto the Danish side. However, if things are starting to get slightly unbalanced let us say, a few days before the actual event, I will do some reshuffling.

C_Ronin_Rico said:
I had a look into anglo-saxons names, I think "Finn" is ok (what a change!), I confirm Norþhymbre side.

Done.

Wernicke said:
The Danes are worshipping the right god, at least. Unless public players get to be chevalers, I'll join Sveinn's forces.

Well, I will add you for the Danes as they could use some players at this moment in time.

I sign up to the Norse public host.

Helga
(As for this moment, I can change this name later and I will inform you if I do that)

No surname. I am just a common folk and I am not in a clan.

By the way, could you write the meanings of those names if it is possible?

Back
Top Bottom