Buying a new PC

Users who are viewing this thread

-Peter-

Master Knight
My stone age PC has sadly passed away and I'm looking to buy a new one. It's purpose will pretty much just be for M&B and Bannerlord when it's out.

My technical knowledge of anything computer related is terrible so if anyone could help me out and let me know whether a pc with these specs would run M&B at a decent standard I'd be very grateful :smile:

Operating System: Windows XP
Processor Type: Pentium 4 HT
Optical Drive: DVDRW
Processor Speed: 2 x 3.40GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Card: 1GB GT610 HDMI/DVI/VGA
Hard Drive Capacity: 300 GB

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated!

How much are they charging for a computer like that? I don't know how well that would run Warband, but probably not as well as you would like.
If you feel adventurous, a lot of the people here can give you a parts list and you can assemble a computer yourself, which usually saves money.

£100, it's second hand from a friend who owns a computer shop. I really just want it to run smoothly really, without waiting ages when new enemies are spawning on singleplayer. Definitely not adventurous enough to build my own.. I just about managed to put some more RAM in my last PC, then when I dismantled it I couldn't remember what it looked like.

Yeah, I would really recommend saving up $300-400 to get something that will actually run how you want it to, I doubt that computer would run warband well even on lowest settings.

Trevty said:
That is a really, really bad computer.  I mean, you could probably get Warband running on it.  But I wouldn't count on Bannerlord at all.  If you're only spending $100 on it, I would assume this is just a kind of stopgap measure until you scrape together more money to get something better.  If that's so, then this should do alright for a little while, just don't expect it do anything even slightly impressive.

I can spend more, I'm giving myself a £300 budget so whatever I can get for that, just I have no concept on what's good and worth buying or not.

Any advice on minimum specs?

I don't know what prices where you live are like, but something with an Intel i3 processor (or AMD equivalent) should do you well enough, even if it doesn't come with a graphics card, an integrated GPU should be able to handle Warband on DX9 and medium-low settings.

Dude, if you're going to spend a good amount of money on a new PC, then unless you're flat broke spend a bit more money and get a good PC that will actually last you a few years. No secondhand parts, no ****ty specs, none of that. It doesn't have to be astronomical, but at least have it be good.

-Peter- said:
Operating System: Windows XP
Processor Type: Pentium 4 HT
Optical Drive: DVDRW
Processor Speed: 2 x 3.40GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Card: 1GB GT610 HDMI/DVI/VGA
Hard Drive Capacity: 300 GB
Much of that list there gives me a sudden urge to facepalm, and I'm hardly knowledgeable about computer hardware either.

If you want something that's decent but affordable (at least affordable where I live), try something like this:
Windows 7
Intel I5 processor.
6 GB memory.
500 GB hard drive space.
(I'm afraid I don't know much about graphics cards, so somebody else here will have to recommend one.)

Unless you're flat broke, that is.

Why not second-hand? You can get Sandybridge I5's secondhand. Or decent graphics cards, such as when people upgrade to a Titan or whatever you could get a 680 or so for less.

Sir Hitson Winsler said:
Why not second-hand? You can get Sandybridge I5's secondhand. Or decent graphics cards, such as when people upgrade to a Titan or whatever you could get a 680 or so for less.

I got most of my parts used. CPU was $150, GPU $350, save a **** ton doing it that way. My GPU when I bought it was $450 new, plus I got a waterblock which would cost an extra $100.

I usually just buy CPU's used since you can then know what its clocks can get too if you buy it off of certain websites where people post that kind of stuff.

Sir Arvondor said:
Dude, if you're going to spend a good amount of money on a new PC, then unless you're flat broke spend a bit more money and get a good PC that will actually last you a few years. No secondhand parts, no ****ty specs, none of that. It doesn't have to be astronomical, but at least have it be good.

I'm not broke, just I spent most of my time working/training so would rarely be using it really, other than for little M&B sessions. So don't really fancy shelling out a grand on a new one.

Really just want something that is gonna run the game without problems so it's comfortably playable.

Starting to get a better idea of things, thanks for the help so far everyone.

With an Intel i5 and a dedicated GPU whether Nvidia (From the GTX series, specifically try 5-- or 6-- models) or AMD (Pick one starting by 6--- or ideally by 7---)
Look up info on the internets about the above, like graphic cards benchmarks and such. You won't be upset of performance for Warband most likely.
Get 8GB of RAM, too.

-Peter- said:
Sir Arvondor said:

I'm not broke, just I spent most of my time working/training so would rarely be using it really, other than for little M&B sessions. So don't really fancy shelling out a grand on a new one.

Really just want something that is gonna run the game without problems so it's comfortably playable.

Starting to get a better idea of things, thanks for the help so far everyone.
Okay, I can understand that. But the problem here is that while a lower end PC may be fine for playing Warband, at some point or another you may want to play something else, and then you may find out the hard way (depending on what kind of specs you choose to go for) that your computer can't do **** due to the high performance requirements of the newer games. That's all I'm saying.

Trevty said:
4GB of RAM is fine for a low-end system. I'm posting from my phone, so I can't really say too much else.
Most games use up to 4GB, plus you have all of your background processes and other programs running which take up RAM, so it's better to get more than 4 if you can, to make sure the game can get the amount of RAM it needs. 6 or 8 gigs would be optimal.

Back
Top Bottom