Serious Occult Meddling Discussion (formerly Yard1's Serious Occult Meddling)

Users who are viewing this thread

WARNING - If you decide to add my troops (even when you only do the preparations), you've hit the limit. Don't add anymore, or the game will bug.

Uhh, what is the troop limit please do tell ?

Many thanks for sharing these tweaks and Madvader and the team for allowing them to be shown here. I like the balancing of Pop, but have picked a couple of changes out that suit me, in particular the Silvermist buff, as I feel they were a little underpowered by comparison to other troops in the archery class, so thanks for that.  :cool:

ms_ts_2007 said:
WARNING - If you decide to add my troops (even when you only do the preparations), you've hit the limit. Don't add anymore, or the game will bug.

In my experience, it's 1072 - the exact number of PoP troops + my troops. When I tried to add 1073rd troop, some other troops (for me it was Landsknechte and Pendor Men-at-Arms) had level one, all WFP at 100 and almost no skills.

It might only bug for me, though.

Yozzer said:
Many thanks for sharing these tweaks and Madvader and the team for allowing them to be shown here. I like the balancing of Pop, but have picked a couple of changes out that suit me, in particular the Silvermist buff, as I feel they were a little underpowered by comparison to other troops in the archery class, so thanks for that.  :cool:

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. I'm working on a lancer script now :smile:

What I think is a needed buff is regular mercenary tree. They are expensive yet not reliable at all, hence no one will truly use them. I have fun hiring mercenary in native but in PoP, they just can't keep up with the others. And still hog a damn large amount of wages. Either reduce their level, or increase their stats.

About Empire, I think you are overdoing with the infantry lineup. The infantry lineup was never the strong point of Empire. And if the infantry is buffed, it will totally be on par with D'Shar and Fierdsvain.

Mercs in PoP have a higher pay multiplier than mercs in native (x2 instead of x1.5). I used TweakMB to knock it back down to 1.5, makes many merc troops much more attractive.

habeo123 said:
What I think is a needed buff is regular mercenary tree. They are expensive yet not reliable at all, hence no one will truly use them. I have fun hiring mercenary in native but in PoP, they just can't keep up with the others. And still hog a damn large amount of wages. Either reduce their level, or increase their stats.

About Empire, I think you are overdoing with the infantry lineup. The infantry lineup was never the strong point of Empire. And if the infantry is buffed, it will totally be on par with D'Shar and Fierdsvain.

I think that mercenaries are intended only to be hired at the beginning of the game or when you need some extra units fast, but Barclay troops are one of the best troops in PoP IMO.

As I said, I think I have overbuffed Empire. I'll leave the tweaks here, in case somebody wants to use them, but personally I'll revert to the original values.

I thought the Empire was all about infantry :shock:

While I agree that Velites are a bit unnecessary, the centurions seem like a good choice. Another reason not to use Empire calvary (unless they are Shadow Legion, that is). And Empire is my favourite faction, so I'm rather not objective here.

However, I think that buffing the Empire Heavy Inf and lengthening (quite a bit) their upgrade time is a good choice.

Yard1 said:
ms_ts_2007 said:

In my experience, it's 1072 - the exact number of PoP troops + my troops. When I tried to add 1073rd troop, some other troops (for me it was Landsknechte and Pendor Men-at-Arms) had level one, all WFP at 100 and almost no skills.

There is no troop limit.

MadVader said:
Yard1 said:
ms_ts_2007 said:

There is no troop limit.

Maybe it bugged for me because of something else? When I deleted the 1073rd troop, the Landsknechte and Pendor MAA started working as intended again.

As I said, it may only bug for me.

I think the lancer fix is working. Been following around a Shadow Legion patrol and they don't seem suicidally focused on using their long knight lances at point blank range anymore. They actually drew their swords when trying to melee infantry. Gonna go pick a fight with some Jatu and see if they will favor their sabres over their honor lances in close quarters.

Yard1 said:
All lance calvary units should work, if I hadn't omitted any of them in the script.

And I'm pretty sure I didn't :smile:

So the script applies individually (and sort of "manually") to each lance cavalry troop, it isn't a global fix? I guess it won't be able to affect custom units then (like companions or the custom player order units)?

The lancer fix combo is a combo of two scripts - Lancers use the right weapon and Guarantee all melee weapons. The first script applies to all troops, and make them switch to a backup weapon (ex. Sword) when lance is useless. The second script guarantees that the troops spawn with both the lance and a backup weapon (this is the script where I had to make the list of all lance troops). Without the second one, the first script wouldn't have a backup weapon to switch to, and without the first ones, troops would have backup weapons, but they wouldn't switch. That's why it's a combo.

Kadath, /)

Ah I see, no problem then, as long as the weapon switch is a global call it's just a matter of giving the backup weapon to the custom unit.

Would it be relevant in any way in which weapon slot in the inventory the lance/backup weapon is placed? I guess not, but I remember seeing lots of posts around here where people suggested to keep the lance in a certain slot or another to have better chances of it being switched more frequently/smartly even with the vanilla script; it always seemed like an urban legend to me from my game experience, but you never know...  :roll:

Also, (\  :razz:

Continued from another unrelated thread.

Yard1 said:
I tried to balance them as well as I could (though I obviously failed in some cases). I don't think my mini mods are cheats, really. But opinions differ.
Here is what I consider cheats in your script changes (ignoring troop changes, not my expertise):
1. Bodyguard scripts by Caba`drin
This makes various ambushes a walk in the park. No more challenge about it. At least you need to increase the number of ambushers.
2. CKHO upgrade times halved
This makes all the other Orders obsolete. Quite a change for the worse in terms of Order use and balance.

Kadath said:
Ah I see, no problem then, as long as the weapon switch is a global call it's just a matter of giving the backup weapon to the custom unit.

Would it be relevant in any way in which weapon slot in the inventory the lance/backup weapon is placed? I guess not, but I remember seeing lots of posts around here where people suggested to keep the lance in a certain slot or another to have better chances of it being switched more frequently/smartly even with the vanilla script; it always seemed like an urban legend to me from my game experience, but you never know...  :roll:

Also, (\  :razz:

I don't know if the weapon placement changes anything. Probably not. :razz:

MadVader said:
Continued from another unrelated thread.

Yard1 said:
I tried to balance them as well as I could (though I obviously failed in some cases). I don't think my mini mods are cheats, really. But opinions differ.
Here is what I consider cheats in your script changes (ignoring troop changes, not my expertise):
1. Bodyguard scripts by Caba`drin
This makes various ambushes a walk in the park. No more challenge about it. At least you need to increase the number of ambushers.
This makes all the other Orders obsolete. Quite a change for the worse in terms of Order use and balance.

1. In my experience, I get owned in 9 out of 10 ambushes. If you don't replace the bandits_at_night part in mission_templates.txt, the bodyguards won't be present when you are ambushed. Plus I think this is more realistic, but that's just my opinion. I might change the requirements for the bodyguards though.

2. Alright, I admit, this is a cheat. But I was getting tired of how long I had to wait for my order to get equipped. I added a warning to it.

MadVader said:

Hmm, if I can butt in, while I agree it's indeed sort of cheaty by its very nature, I do believe the wait time for equipping the CKHO is a bit too high. I don't mind having to wait a lot to equip them with the very best items, but even outfitting them with a first mediocre setup tends to take eons (and as such it's an even less viable option if you want to actually play with the CHKO in your lifetime, as you are kinda forced to immediatly go for the best choices to save as much time as possible). Once the Custom Knights have equipment on the same tier of the other orders (and have been trained enough, which takes time too) these do become obsolete, true, but in the LONG meantime you have no other sensible choice but to keep the custom knights parked in their city/castle just looking silly.
But this also comes from the perspective of someone who already played through several PoP campaigns in the past few years, so I indeed have less patience than what should be "normal" when it comes to play and experiment with the shiny stuff a new version introduces.

Personally, I halved the upgrading time while doubling the cost, so it should feel a little less of an exploit. I'd lower the upgrading time for mid to low tier items only if could.

Well the thing about upgrading time had been brought up countless time, and I feel like player just want a easier game rather. Somewhere else you may speak about realistic factor in PoP and I think the most realistic factor that was ever integrated into PoP is the timing for CKO upgrades.

About ambush guard, definitely is a cheat considering the fact that not all of the ambushes are hard. The only hard one is Assassin. Unless you increase the ambush size to 5-10 or more, having guard will make night not a fear factor anymore.

habeo123 said:
Well the thing about upgrading time had been brought up countless time, and I feel like player just want a easier game rather. Somewhere else you may speak about realistic factor in PoP and I think the most realistic factor that was ever integrated into PoP is the timing for CKO upgrades.

About ambush guard, definitely is a cheat considering the fact that not all of the ambushes are hard. The only hard one is Assassin. Unless you increase the ambush size to 5-10 or more, having guard will make night not a fear factor anymore.

Fine, I've added the cheat warning to it. But what would you say if you'd get the first guard at 5 leadership or 800 renown, with maximum of 2 guards? I'll also fiddle around with the ambush parties.

I'm working on doubling the amount of food, while also doubling their weight and cost.

Back
Top Bottom