When is there going to be a GOOD persistent world server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Not to mention those annoying logs that track player damage, it's harder to trick those sneaky administrators and not to get caught for rule breaking ; ( By the way, have they fixed that awful lag?

Raging Womble said:
You are probably raging about my town watch. If an admin kicked you out the faction report him. Yes, some of the leaders, including myself are admins, but this town watch is independent from admins. We don't let people who haven't joined up on the forums into the faction because we want some form of discipline and order. When the town watch is just public members, the number of rule breaks from the town watch increases. People think they can use the town watch as an excuse to break the rules. In my town watch, those who break rules get kicked out the faction and face the servers punishment.
Now onto your overall point. I personally think Nexus is the best server the mod has seen. Complaints on the forums are dealt with, most admins act politely and maturely. I understand we have problems with lack of admins, but look at the other things Nexus has made available to the wider PW community ; Safezones, and auto banking.

He isn't raging. In fact, his post is very polite and organized even for a new account (late 2012). As I see it, he was just explaining an event which happened to him to justify and give strenght to his point, da rules and why they shouldn't exist. This is not about a complaint nor a question to why your town watch acted in the manner it did.

Roleplaying rules (pretty much contraditory), forum organized faction, safezones, banking.. I wouldn't want to be the mod developer.

weterman said:
People like you ruin the persistent world. Lots of people have fun on it. Don't cry now.

Yes, the removal of rules would ruin persistent world and the way people play it. Because, you know, it's so much easier to steal another player stuff and then hide under the overprotective rules or confuse an administrator hoping to get away with it than to actually try to craft your things and learn about the many different features this mod has to offer, right?

While we're at it, why don't we add more rules in the servers? Let's start by not randoming cows, or a do not walk in the grass rule, or a rule about where you can and can't fight. This is indeed what we need to do to avoid the ruin of this mod, right?

In my opinion, PW servers require a removal of a number of regulations and an introduction of new ones to lessen the perpetual chaos that's wrought about it.

I used to own a PW server as well, but it was never nearly as popular as Trojan and it only had a small community of people I knew and dissenters from Trojan. I did my best to keep things orderly, played amongst the players, refrained from arrogant admin chat spam and scary black armor and did only appointed admins that I knew closely and trusted rather than strange and untrustworthy application posters. It still failed. The server was stagnant for a while, remaining at a low population until I decided to close it.

Honestly, you'll never be able to fix all the problems everywhere. People will be people and people will always fight and quarrel and it's impossible to rid PW of some of its greatest issues, though a lot can be fixed with proper leadership. For now, I've quit PW simply because it's chaos and the administration is abhorrent. The situation won't improve unless a lot of changes in the servers themselves are made.

Lol this mods still ****ty? I remember a while back me and a couple friends would camp on the rooftops of any nearby building and snipe at the high-level whiners in their full plate until they screamed 'RDM' so loud you could hear it from your house... We would always receive temp bans (If we were caught that is) and just come back and do it on another name. Admins were none the wiser! Was good fun.

Duke_Tritus said:
In my opinion, PW servers require a removal of a number of regulations and an introduction of new ones to lessen the perpetual chaos that's wrought about it.

I used to own a PW server as well, but it was never nearly as popular as Trojan and it only had a small community of people I knew and dissenters from Trojan. I did my best to keep things orderly, played amongst the players, refrained from arrogant admin chat spam and scary black armor and did only appointed admins that I knew closely and trusted rather than strange and untrustworthy application posters. It still failed. The server was stagnant for a while, remaining at a low population until I decided to close it.

Honestly, you'll never be able to fix all the problems everywhere. People will be people and people will always fight and quarrel and it's impossible to rid PW of some of its greatest issues, though a lot can be fixed with proper leadership. For now, I've quit PW simply because it's chaos and the administration is abhorrent. The situation won't improve unless a lot of changes in the servers themselves are made.

The idea fails because groups of people go on to purely random people, then said people complain because no matter what server rules you have; No randoming will be one of them. This requires extensive admin coverage and if you do not take care of randomers the server just becomes a death match. Seen this happen on many servers when admins are offline.

I agree with whom ever posted above that Nexus is one of the best servers They've played on. The staff organization is very well done and the fact they view logs (though some may not like it) and they respond to post about complaints and refunds on the forums is very good. The only other one I would compare it too was United when it was at its high peaks though it does suffer from lack of admins and good frequent admins.(Though Nexus is better In my opinion) PW is quite simple, dont break rules and admins are not needed. Unfortunately people are too immature to follow this and cause greifing groups and rage moments where they get banned, then they post things like this saying rules are too damn restrictive! They wouldn't need to be restrictive if everyone could just play nicely.

The topic should not be called when is a server going to be better, the topic should be when are the players going to be better, and learn how to play the mod.

I used to be mega troll randomer, and admins were tough on me, taught me how to play. 

Once you learn the mechanics which is not very hard to learn, I see no problem with the current servers.  It's the players trying to play a game that isn't made.  A game where you can just go around and grief people, cost them their hard earned gold and items for a few kicks. 

Maybe servers need to be split into play styles and be labeled.  Trolls on one server, RPers on another server, and DM Death matchers on the third.  Maybe stick the DMers with the trolls. 

Have the RP server have extra moderator protection to filter out the troll randomers fast, and not sure what kind of rules would go for a troll dm server.

Been a long time since I have seen a legit castle war, of well played out RP reasons, and those are the most exiting.  I'm gonna start a poll on this idea.

Maybe a good way to make people RP a bit is to not reset the server. When all stocks are out, eventually some of the players will start making stuff, because either him or his faction will want to have good armors/weapons, so they can win a war.

Roleplay was not intended for this mod.

To fix the "rdm" -

Code it so if you attack someone from a neutral or ally faction, you are automatically sent to the "outlaw" faction for x amount of time.
There should also be multiple outlaw camps/hideouts around the map
Outlaws would be hostile towards all factions, (like they are) and if your killed by them, tough luck.

There, now people should have no reason for crying rdm or nlr.

on a related note, "doctor" or "healer" jobs are terrible, food should heal you instantly, making it more of a necessity.

there are some things that hopefully a dev for this mod should take into consideration.

A good Persistent World server? It depends on the community that frequents it really.
You need players who don't troll and random people at spawns, and make it a nightmare to play if you log on.
You need admins who are silently watching situations, lots of them

Like this.

West Nile said:

To fix the "rdm" -

Code it so if you attack someone from a neutral or ally faction, you are automatically sent to the "outlaw" faction for x amount of time.
Outlaws would be hostile towards all factions, (like they are) and if your killed by them, tough luck.

on a related note, "doctor" or "healer" jobs are terrible, food should heal you instantly, making it more of a necessity.

there are some things that hopefully a dev for this mod should take into consideration.

Nearly every suggestion is terrible and would not help one thing in the mod in my opinion. If you don't like the mod don't play it, don't ask that vornne completely recreate the mod and change nearly the entire aspect behind it.

You dismiss it as terrible, but don't give any insite why.

Also if having your faction change when you attack someone (ally/none hostile) in your opinion is recreating the mod, then I have bad news for you.

All im trying to say is that in order to have people who want to "roleplay" and people who want to kill each other, there needs to be boundaries coded in to help punish people who go around and kill freely, and protect those who do not want to. Instead of having 13 admins in a 150 player server, all with their own opinions on whats wrong and right, forcing people to play based of a large set of rules that are supposed "make the game fun".

When the mod can reward and punish based off your actions in game and without the intervention or need of administrators, then that is "Persistent".

When the mod can reward and punish based off your actions in game and without the intervention or need of administrators, then that is "Persistent".

There, there! Listen to him! But this needs to be done via mapping, not so much via coding.

Right now, people run around like headless chicken, bored; they end up killing people out of boredom or join a faction for some TDM. But again, faction wars do not have any reward whatsoever in in-game terms. I have conquered a castle! Great, now what?

Mappers should think more carefully when they edit scenes, rewarding certain attitudes via gold rewards.

Being a successful faction should be the best way to gather gold. Being the lord should mean controlling that.

Then you may have people busy doing in game stuff, as opposed to running around in heavy gear and millions in some bank account; too bored to bother to actually play the mod, looking for fights, stretching the rules and abusing each other.

West Nile said:

To fix the "rdm" -

I think these would be awesome updates, doctors don't really pay very well, and food should have higher value for serfs to make it more often.  Getting flagged for killing one person would be awesome, making you kos too.

Erk said:

There, there! Listen to him! But this needs to be done via mapping, not so much via coding.

Right now, people run around like headless chicken, bored; they end up killing people out of boredom or join a faction for some TDM. But again, faction wars do not have any reward whatsoever in in-game terms. I have conquered a castle! Great, now what?

Mappers should think more carefully when they edit scenes, rewarding certain attitudes via gold rewards.

Being a successful faction should be the best way to gather gold. Being the lord should mean controlling that.

Then you may have people busy doing in game stuff, as opposed to running around in heavy gear and millions in some bank account; too bored to bother to actually play the mod, looking for fights, stretching the rules and abusing each other.
War is profitable i use to run with the redwoods back in the day and 5 of us would pretty much conquer the whole map ("journy") and we made tons of cash we all became rich it has nothing to do with mapping it has to do with the lord, as the lord you have to control your faction and if you cant then well to bad its not gonna be much fun losing wars.

If it had anything to do with mapping the mod would have no problems because their is quite a few mappers out there that always claim their map will change the gameplay but it never really does.

Anyways i think the mod is fine as it is the only problem i see is the "i need an admin mentality" or the "I am a role player" like seriously if you get killed big deal next time hire a guard and then we have the "I dont like to join factions" which always end up getting killed but i guarantee you if you stick with your faction or if you play with a group randomers wont target you because they like the easy kills.

also what people need to understand is this mod was not meant for role playing sure you can role play in it but dont try to force the other 70% to do it as well a lot of people come to pw to enjoy sieges and faction warfare.

thats just my opinion though

Erk said:

This.

And the problem with "roleplayers" is that, in their minds, they're the heroes of Calradia and all they can do is whine when someone with lower renown (every player in the game except him and his friends) kill his highly renowed character with a spiked club.

Back
Top Bottom