When is there going to be a GOOD persistent world server.

Users who are viewing this thread

West Nile

Recruit
Title says it itself.

re installed this mod after a year from my first attempt at playing it, I should have expected that things had gotten worse.

I join some nexus server, it being the only server that actually has people playing, and i immediately have my chat bombarded with people spouting "Randoming" "NLR".
I see a huge purple message across my screen "admin X has permabanned player X for randoming and insulting an admin".
I decide to join a faction called town watch, and I get killed and kicked out by the faction members, I realize they are the server admins, and I have to apply on the forums to be in said faction.
During my time exploring, I get disgusted at what i am reading in chat, faction leaders have to announce 3 times that they are going to war, they need a reason, more people crying about rdm and nlr.
After spending some time exploring I find a outlaw camp and decide to join the outlaws and decide to go kill someone and take their stuff. I mange to kill a helpless farmer, but before I know it an admin comes to me freezes me with something and tells me that if i log out that ill be permabanned, after 5 minutes of asking whats going on (apparently looking through combat log) asking why I "rdmed" the farmer, I tell him I am an outlaw. I am told its not a good enough reason and that i have to announce that i am going to rob/attack my foe. I am then told to go to a website and read some rules and then banned for god knows how long.

Why do the servers that run this mod, cater to much to roleplaying? I can tell this mod was made for faction based pvp, but all this roleplaying and "announce your going to attack someone" crap is really pathetic. Couple that with servers that seem to give admin to children who's weak constitutions are damaged when being called a moron and deem that a game ruining offence. It appears that so many people spend time farming gold, and riding around in their expensive armor, and only go to war with a faction that has a fraction of the members as them.

So i come back to my original question, When is there going to be a good persistent world server hosted, one that actually runs this mod correctly the way it was supposed to be.

Also here are some responses to reply's I'm sure ill see -

"Not all servers are like the one you described"
There are only about 2 servers, hosted by the same community, and about 1 other server that is hosted in some remote Russian town.

"If you don't like the mod then don't play it"
The mod is good but its these terrible kiddies who are scared of losing their pixel items that these servers cater to to keep them playing that make the mod bad.

"There are rules to stop rdmer's and people breaking nlr, without them no one would play"
Then this mod is terribly flawed and someone if not the creator of this mod should implicate some kind of boundaries in the mod itself to help stop griefers etc. The mod has to have rules in itself so the servers don't make them up themselves, ending up in a well and balanced game experience, possibly resulting in a bigger player base.

When you join a server, you play by their rules. That's all I've to say, and I'm quite happy with the Nexus rules and their admins. If it wasn't for their good work, PW would've been a persistent deathmatch  :roll:

That is a good idea.  Maybe have assignable combat groups like warband rp, where you can't fight anyone unless they choose to accept the fight. 

It would be a seriously awesome thing to implement, and make admining a lot easier. 

Would result in hardly any combat related complaints, needing less admins, less admins means far less admin abuse complaints.

Happy everyone all around. 

West Nile said:
So i come back to my original question, When is there going to be a good persistent world server hosted, one that actually runs this mod correctly the way it was supposed to be.

I agree with you, but this is pointless, I've arguing over this for more than a year now and nothing has changed.

The solution you can try is to not play by their rules, pretend there are none. And be smart, logs can't catch everything, try to not get caught.

Edit:

West Nile said:
"There are rules to stop rdmer's and people breaking nlr, without them no one would play"
Then this mod is terribly flawed and someone if not the creator of this mod should implicate some kind of boundaries in the mod itself to help stop griefers etc. The mod has to have rules in itself so the servers don't make them up themselves, ending up in a well and balanced game experience, possibly resulting in a bigger player base.

The "need" for rules usually comes from two things:

Poor map/scene choice, particularly scenes which gives ridiculous powerful classes and equipment to commoners, or with spawn points placed in the same area or other flaws.

Banking, characters carrying piles of money (from "events", iron or gold or silver grinding, etc.) and "persistent" characters, which makes the precious characters whocannotdiewhatsoever even more precious.

I like how you think, West Nile. Me and my Lithuanian team play Persistent World because we like the features the mod provides us with and only for robbing, fighting and wars. Roleplay and other similar rules always get in the way, because the server requires we warn someone before killing them, raiding a place or making war. Even then people ignore those warnings, get killed and an administrator teleports asking what's going on... Some people are so ridiculously brain-washed by all this nonsense that they no longer can think straight.

We currently play in EU_Spirit_PW, it has higher money drop rates, a comfortable and simple map and doesn't have any server side lag. It also has such rules, but I think it's less strict than Nexus. You are right about big factions attacking smaller ones, we usually have ~7 players and fight against 2-4 factions that consist of 20-35 or more players, but it's fun and after the battle we loot all the armor, weapons, horses and money which were brought by our enemies for free ;P

DESPITE, no offense, Scippio, having compared a very small rule set the server administrators don't have the same opinion about the rules of the spirit. One administrator tells me it's allowed, then later another says it's not and the third one again says it's allowed and so on...

Once a town guard killed my man on my lands and I was going to arrest him so he called administrator Warlegend. I've explained everything to him and he started talking about town guard being the medieval police (which is true) and that I can't arrest him (which is total nonsense). I told him that town guard only obey and have authority in the lands (or town) of their own ruler and that he currently is on my lands where I am the top law as lord. Even if I wasn't, anyone should be able to force a town guard or anyone else  to do what he or she wants with a weapon or any other measures. Well Warlegend just couldn't comprehend what I was telling him and he just teleported away... Also once we "broke" a rule (damn those whiners) so Warlegend came to investigate and was trying to enforce other servers and his own rules, explaining me that it's a Persistent World standart??? What nonsense is this? I'm playing in EU_Spirit_PW and I fulfill all the requirements of EU_Spirit_PW rule set and why on Calradia I should care one bit about some ****ty rules of Nexus_Roleplay while I'm playing on a totally different server?!

Also administrators should wear black armor if they are administrating without tags because people get slayed for killing an administrator, who is without tags, when that player has a legit reason to kill like war...

Even though this server is the best Persistent World currently has to offer, so takes this as some critism and a compliment, Scippio.

Rules that only simulate real roleplay are more of the problem than rules that "cater" to roleplayers. We've backed away from those rulesets.

IL_Scippio said:
Still there can't be a good PW server, mostly because someone will always ***** about something.

This.

It doesnt matther how much time and effort you invest, at the end of the day someone will throw stones at you.
If you make less rules, then "real" roleplayers go on the walls. If you make more rules, then the warmongers go on the walls.
So at the end it doesnt matther what you do, you will be everytime criticized.

If you really know how to make a "real" and "good" PW Server, then make one.

You are probably raging about my town watch. If an admin kicked you out the faction report him. Yes, some of the leaders, including myself are admins, but this town watch is independent from admins. We don't let people who haven't joined up on the forums into the faction because we want some form of discipline and order. When the town watch is just public members, the number of rule breaks from the town watch increases. People think they can use the town watch as an excuse to break the rules. In my town watch, those who break rules get kicked out the faction and face the servers punishment.
Now onto your overall point. I personally think Nexus is the best server the mod has seen. Complaints on the forums are dealt with, most admins act politely and maturely. I understand we have problems with lack of admins, but look at the other things Nexus has made available to the wider PW community ; Safezones, and auto banking.

Back
Top Bottom