Mount&Blade in linux

Users who are viewing this thread

JanBielanski

Recruit
I will tell, how you can install Mount&Blade in Linux, this note is good for game version >=0.890

1. Yum must download the newest version of wine http://www.winehq.org/?announce=latest and install this:
(in linux console: tar -xvvzf wine* cd wine* ./configure  make depend  make  su // your password make install)

2. Run winecfg and there set windows version XP, and sound system ALSA

3. Download DirectX 9.0c, don't use setup.exe extract the file DirectX.cab you can use for this program 7zip it's easy to install in wine
4. Copy from DirectX.cab files cp *.dll to /home/use/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 if program will overwrite files set NO
5. Download files d3dx9_31 to the latest from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_31 or extract from directx folder
  and copy to  /home/use/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
6. Setup Mount&Blade  -- don't use in configure M&B shadow quality its crushed game
7. If you want icons on pulpit you can write script:
      #!/bin/sh
      cd /home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Mount\&Blade/
      wine mount\&blade.exe

and use it for run game for example sh mb.sh

If you have some problems or have another solution writing here.
Sorry for my poor english it isn't my language.

Miclee said:
Wow... this is going to help alot of people.

Wow yeah!!!!  it looks like its working for me.  I have to admit I just got a simple ubuntu laptop from dell and figured I wouldn't ever have any fun games on it then I remembered this game was a blast and figured what the heck lets see what its up to since the last time I played was before .808...  So after reading this link and learning about wine all day I finally got it running.  I am totally pysched!  you the man jan! 

btw the new version looks awesome too!

Aloha from Hawaii and much mahalos!

Hi,

I just managed make my midi keyboard work with Ubuntu 7.10 and now also M&B seems to work :grin:. Soon I have no reason to start Windows again. Not that I'm against it...

What I did:
1. Installed Wine with Graphical Synaptics Package manager
2. Started M&B installation by starting installer with command ./mountandblade_0892_setup.exe (Double Click the icon would have probably worked as well...)
3. After the installation I just double clicked the Mount&Blade Icon on the Desktop and It actually worked with sounds and music.

After trying it out a bit I changed the wine settings so that "Emulate a virtual desktop" is enabled. Only problem I see now is that  mouse look does not work around but seems to has some limits. I have a feeling I had the same problem on Windows but can't be sure. There was no need to copy dx files.

This can't be simpler. All thanks to people who have worked for Wine. And thanks for pointing out that M&B works on Wine  :smile:.

Some System Details:
- Ubuntu Linux 7.10
- Intel Pentium 4 CPU
- Asus GeForce 7900 GTX using nVidia provided drivers
- Sound Blaster Live!
- 2GB memory

Best Regards,
H

brotkin said:
Only problem I see now is that  mouse look does not work around but seems to has some limits. I have a feeling I had the same problem on Windows but can't be sure.

Hi!

I have the same issue with the mouse, I can only turn about 180 degrees with the character. Is it because of wine? Is there a way to fix it?

thx

Just signed up to the forum today to warn that M&B version 0.900 does not appear to be working under Wine.

System: Fedora Core 8, Wine version 0.9.49, M&B version 0.900. Wine not modified (i.e. not using native Windows dlls, not running from a Windows installation).

Tried with both patch installation from 0.894 and full installer, same error occurs with both.

Console output (important bit only):

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x03c52007 at address 0x3813177 (thread 0025), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x03c52007 in 32-bit code (0x03813177).

I can provide the stacktrace if anyone wants it.

I am not certain whether this is due to the recent update of Wine or M&B; if I get time I might try regression tests on Wine.

Sorry to reply to my own post.

Have tried to run using an earlier version of Wine, 0.9.46. No success. Crashes on startup, not even a flash screen.

Seems that some change in M&B is preventing it from working under Wine.

*Sits in corner and cries*

It's a long shot, but are you using DirectX 7 rendering?

From the desktop launcher choose Configure, then click on the Video tab. At the bottom, change "DirectX 9" to "DirectX 7" (or vice versa if it's already on DX7). The two rendering systems are very different, so it's quite possible that one of the two will still work in Wine.

I don't use Linux so I can't test this myself, but it's worth a try.

Darian said:
It's a long shot, but are you using DirectX 7 rendering?

From the desktop launcher choose Configure, then click on the Video tab. At the bottom, change "DirectX 9" to "DirectX 7" (or vice versa if it's already on DX7). The two rendering systems are very different, so it's quite possible that one of the two will still work in Wine.

I don't use Linux so I can't test this myself, but it's worth a try.

So worth a try that I went to some lengths to try it! Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is that the desktop launcher doesn't even work. I even reinstalled 894 to set it to dx7 using its launcher (which works fine, as does the whole game in 894!), then patched it to 900. Unfortunately this doesn't work. The exception occurs before the launcher is displayed.

Besides, its the same version of dx9 which is used for both 894 and 900, so this suggests the problem may lie elsewhere; also, a dx issue should probably not cause the launcher to fail, just the game. I suspect the problem might actually lie with the copy protection M&B uses, which is known to have caused problems in Wine before. It would be helpful to know if the copy protection (Themida) version has also been upgraded along with M&B itself.

These instructions are actually very confusing for Linux newbies.

I've downloaded DirectX9c, but there is no file 'DirectX.cab', but lots of cab files named by date and version #.  Am i supposed to copy all,some, or none of these?  And just the dll files?  Do I need to rename anything?

Edit:  Here's what I did.

I took the d3dx9_34.dll file out of the June 2007 x86 cab and downloaded the d3dx9_31 linked by the OP.  M&B works much better now. (Had crippling slowdown in combat) Can't tell which one did the magic, but one of 'em did.

Ming said:
These instructions are actually very confusing for Linux newbies.

I've downloaded DirectX9c, but there is no file 'DirectX.cab', but lots of cab files named by date and version #.  Am i supposed to copy all,some, or none of these?  And just the dll files?  Do I need to rename anything?

Edit:  Here's what I did.

I took the d3dx9_34.dll file out of the June 2007 x86 cab and downloaded the d3dx9_31 linked by the OP.  M&B works much better now. (Had crippling slowdown in combat) Can't tell which one did the magic, but one of 'em did.

Do you mean M&B version 0.894 or 0.900? I would love to be able to get 0.900 working!

In any case, where did you put the dlls? The game folder or c:/windows/system32? M&B comes packaged with d3dx9_31.dll, so downloading it from a separate source shouldn't be necessary (the game will use it unless you already have it in the system32 folder, I think). Hence the "works out of the box" posts above. If d3dx9_34.dll works better, then great, that's good to know (you're right about the battles slowing to a crippling place when things get busy without any modifications).

Whilst we're on the subject, there's a guide to installing direct x under Wine at the following location: http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/11/directx-90c-on-linux-with-wine.html. It's a bit more straightforward than the hack (meant in the best possible of terms) suggested by the OP, although if the OP's suggestion is for some reason still better then it would be useful to know why. Note that Wine still doesn't like Direct X 9 100%, just "95%".

Good luck to all Linux users!

I used M& B .894  still can't even get the start up menu under .9+

All the .dlls went in the /windows/system32 directory.

Thanks for the link!  I ran across another blogpost giving instructions on how to install directX, but the comments said there wasn't much point for Linux newbies and it could lead to problems so I didn't trust it.

Can someone post the directX files I need or place them somewhere where people could retrieve them so that people like me don't have to worry about getting the right files by ourselves? It would make things a whole lot simpler.

F50 said:
Can someone post the directX files I need or place them somewhere where people could retrieve them so that people like me don't have to worry about getting the right files by ourselves? It would make things a whole lot simpler.

Wish things were a whole lot simpler with Direct X, but the pity is that they're not. It seems to me (and I may be way off here) that the way Direct X is upgraded is by adding a new file to the already very large collection of .dll's, which all get installed properly by the installer program when running under Windows. This makes it initially difficult to know what files could be "right", since there are so many of them. Hence, I suppose, your request.

Furthermore, "right" files would also depend on whether you're running an ix86 machine (e.g. Pentium IV) or 64 bit (e.g. AMD64). They're different for each architecture. And probably other factors, too, which I don't know about. But the installer programme does, hence using it is a "good idea".

Also, I am unclear about how legitimate it would be to post individual libraries from the collection in a public forum without permission from the authors. I am going to play it safe and guess that it would be pretty far from legitimate.

Also remember that installing libraries native to Windows taints your Wine installation. One thing that this means is that any testing of applications you do won't be applicable for posting to the Wine App DB (well, you can post your results as a workaround but not as though a Windows app runs under a normal Wine installation).

Finally, the cherry on this horrible horrible cake is that Wine doesn't work well with Microsoft's Direct X libraries - you must, for example, continue to the use the d3d8 and d3d9 libraries which come built in with Wine, NOT Windows native ones which, I am informed and have tested, won't work with Wine. This final aspect, together with the fact that M&B comes supplied with the appropriate Direct X library and so works out of the box with Wine (albeit slowly in big battles, albeit not version 0.901), makes the whole thing a bit moot.

That said, the guide I mentioned before (http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/11/directx-90c-on-linux-with-wine.html) is quite good. The guide provides the appropriate link for downloading the November release of Direct X 9c. Provided a little patience, it's not nearly as scary as it looks and can be followed step-by-step. It's probably the best way to get close to a Direct X 9 installation on Wine, bar none. All it requires is a knowledge and working version of Wine and its config GUI, and preferably a text editor. And at the end, you get to run dxdiag on your Linux box, which I thought was quite amusing. But then, that's just me. Oh, and it should somewhat improve the performance of M&B .894. But it won't make .901 work (at least from my tests).

If you would like any help following the guide or doing anything else post a question here and I'm sure people will be happy to help if they can.

If I make the first two native, a dialog box titled themeda says (attempting to run mount&blade 0.894) that d3d9.dll is not found.

If I make the first two not native, a dialog box says "unable to restore vertex buffer"

I couldn't find dxdiag, but was able to accomplish everything else (I think).

F50 said:
If I make the first two native, a dialog box titled themeda says (attempting to run mount&blade 0.894) that d3d9.dll is not found.

Unconfirmed. With me it just doesn't work at all. Interesting that the dialog box should be called Themeda; that's the name of the copy protection software used by M&B (as I understand it). Anyway, native dx 9 libraries won't work with Wine, yet.

F50 said:
If I make the first two not native, a dialog box says "unable to restore vertex buffer"

Advise reducing shadow quality in M&B to fix this (through the startup menu). I encountered this problem myself.

F50 said:
I couldn't find dxdiag, but was able to accomplish everything else (I think).

dxgiag's executable, if installed according to the guide, is located at /home/[you]/.wine/drive_c/windows/sytem32/dxdiag.exe

(Note ".wine" ('DOTwine') - it's a hidden folder in your home directory)

If you're running a regular distro with gnome, for example, you should be able to navigate there, right click and select "run with wine", otherwise whip open a terminal, navigate to there and run "wine dxdiag.exe". For what it's worth.

Best,

S.

running kubuntu. Apparantly I don't have anything more than the a ko and an so file with the name dxdiag. shadow quality is at "low" which is the minimum value. How does wine take GDI calls? Those work on windows too (and better on Vista I've heard...) To play M&B on linux would be so nice....

I have previously been mucking around with a terminal in ~/.wine

I wouldn't have been able to get as far as I have without one.

oh, if only I had a working ".wine" folder to put in my system!

F50 said:
running kubuntu. Apparantly I don't have anything more than the a ko and an so file with the name dxdiag. shadow quality is at "low" which is the minimum value. How does wine take GDI calls? Those work on windows too (and better on Vista I've heard...) To play M&B on linux would be so nice....

I have previously been mucking around with a terminal in ~/.wine

I wouldn't have been able to get as far as I have without one.

oh, if only I had a working ".wine" folder to put in my system!

Righto... it would help to know what kind of hardware you've got, especially GPU; an nVidia proprietary driver is going to have a very different effect from a the Linux "nv" driver, and if you've got an AMD card then the whole issue changes. Myself, I'm testing with proprietary nVidia drivers for a GeForce 8500 GT on Linux, distro Fedora 8 (fully updated).

I have absolutely no idea how Wine processes GDI calls. This would be something to ask the nice fellows on the Wine lists. Sorry, don't have time myself. Working on a Blender project atm.

Since I don't use kubuntu, and can't really afford to install a new os just to see how the .deb (I presume) installs wine on your system, I have no clear idea on what your ~./wine or other folder(s) look(s) like. The fedora wine package installs Wine which, when first executed, creates a ~./wine folder which vaguely resembles a Windows file hierarchy, where ~./wine/drive_c contains things like /program files and /windows, etc. The fedora wine rpm thus pretty much works out of the box. Again, I'd like to emphasise that when I first downloaded and played (and bought) M&B .894 with Wine on fedora 8, it installed and worked out of the box, with no modifications needed (i.e., run the installer, it runs perfectly, and you even get a desktop icon which can be double-clicked to run the game!). NB - again, this refers only to .894. not .90*. And only, as far as I've tested, on fedora 8 with the wine rpm installed from fedora's repository. AFAIK, YMMV (sorry for overuse of acronyms, but essentially if you're out of luck, I think that's the end. M&B is, after all, a Windows app, and the devs don't need to be bothered with support under an emulator. This said, I'm considering setting up a petition at Linux game sites (e.g. www.happypenguin.org) to see if there would be enough support from Linux gamers to persuade M&B devs to think of a way of porting the game to Linux natively. Perhaps 50-100 signatures or even pre-orders (i.e, at current sale rate, between $1,100 and  $2,200 of sales) would make the endeavour worthwhile..)

Raedon 9600 (rocks). ATI fglrx drivers. suck memory, suck processor. I can run BZFlag with all enhancements at 100+ fps (was 200+ fps with no lighting etc).

perhaps someone can e-mail me a .wine folder that works (I'd have to allow email to be shown)?

I was able to run 0.894 out-of-box originally...sort of. I had 1fps in title screen with everything on low (software emulation perhaps).

Back
Top Bottom