START HERE: Beginner's Guide and Reference Book (2014 version)

Users who are viewing this thread

jacksin125 said:
Also, can I recruit iron golems If I take over the mage city rather than befriending their faction?
Yes, the point is to control a city with the mage culture. Also, if you capture a city, any city and then migrate it's population to mages you'll be able to recruit golems from there as well.

Ok, I really have to ask. How do I spawn the Immortals. On my Elf, they just randomly spawned and I didn't think I had done anything special, but on my mage, they aren't even coming and it's annoying.

jacksin125 said:
Where can I sell gems and gold for their full value? The mithril ingot's worth almost 5000, but I haven't seen a store with more than 2000
Stores get more than the standard amount of money by buying things from them.  If you have trouble finding a store with 5000 then look for something you need/want and sell it then.

Lilly112 said:
Ok, I really have to ask. How do I spawn the Immortals. On my Elf, they just randomly spawned and I didn't think I had done anything special, but on my mage, they aren't even coming and it's annoying.

They are a random spawn :smile: Wait it out

SmurfInHell said:
Lilly112 said:

They are a random spawn :smile: Wait it out

I'm on day 40, where as my Elf got them on day 12. q.q

Lilly112 said:
So, do I have to wear the Archmage Staff to get the bonus, or can I just keep it one of my four slots?
I'd assume it can be in the weapon slot (keep in mind you cannot use every weapon slot as a wizard).  With the current setup for spells, suggesting it to be equipped in hand when you are throwing fireballs (not something very possible... :twisted:).

If I'm looking to roll as a Cleric should I put some weapon points in throwing or would I be better off putting them in one-handed and/or two-handed?

iStealth2387 said:
If I'm looking to roll as a Cleric should I put some weapon points in throwing or would I be better off putting them in one-handed and/or two-handed?

Depends on a couple factors. Let me explain some of them.

1.) If you multi-class in a sense and have magic spells you won't have many weapon slots available. In that case it would probably be good to put a couple in throw for the magic spells / Your faith hammer.

2.) If you go full cleric then it might be a good idea to do something like One Handed, Two Handed, and a Throwing wep. This would allow you to have a decent variety at later levels, but it could strain your points early on.

3.) Will you be horseback or not? If you are, you might want to consider lances since they are quite effective as well.

IMPORTANT: If you play a roleplay aspect remember to keep that in mind. Example: Your character is of a faith which doesn't kill humans so you use maces (and thus barring you from things like lances or killing javelins) or concepts of that nature.

Let me show you some example setups:

Cleric that uses One Handed and Two handed mainly

Some Mace/Sword in first slot
A shield in the second
3rd or 4th slot could be a Two Handed Maul

Proficiencies: Mainly One Handed/Two-handed split on what you use most. Then any extra into throwing for when you decide to use your hammer of faith to throw (will be a couple of faith levels before you can do that)

Cleric that uses One-Handed and Throwing
Mace/Sword
Shield
3rd or 4th slot Throwing Javelins/Jarids ETC.

Proficiencies: Mainly One Handed and then a close second with throwing. The One handed / Hammer of faith (melee) would be your main weapon and the throwing could be good for Cav that try to charge you or to soften up weaker enemies. You could also throw it to running enemies or ones that are causing trouble for others.

Cleric that uses OneHanded and Lances

Mace/Sword
Shield
3rd or 4th slot has a Lance

Proficiencies: Will be insane on horseback to take off a ton of strong targets with the speed bonus (especially couched lance), and the faith abilities can keep you rolling. You'll want to split it between polearms and one-handed.

NOTE: You'll need to stretch skills a bit more into agility to get better horses so take that into mind.

OVERALL:

You can mix and match these ideas; E.G. Taking One-Handed, Shield, Lance, and throwing. Just be careful, early on it'll stretch your skill points and proficiencies. Also, be warned that I can't remember if summoning the faith hammer replaces one of the weapon slots like the mage spells do. It's been a bit.

SmurfInHell said:
iStealth2387 said:

Depends on a couple factors. Let me explain some of them.

1.) If you multi-class in a sense and have magic spells you won't have many weapon slots available. In that case it would probably be good to put a couple in throw for the magic spells / Your faith hammer.

2.) If you go full cleric then it might be a good idea to do something like One Handed, Two Handed, and a Throwing wep. This would allow you to have a decent variety at later levels, but it could strain your points early on.

3.) Will you be horseback or not? If you are, you might want to consider lances since they are quite effective as well.

IMPORTANT: If you play a roleplay aspect remember to keep that in mind. Example: Your character is of a faith which doesn't kill humans so you use maces (and thus barring you from things like lances or killing javelins) or concepts of that nature.

Let me show you some example setups:

Cleric that uses One Handed and Two handed mainly

Some Mace/Sword in first slot
A shield in the second
3rd or 4th slot could be a Two Handed Maul

Proficiencies: Mainly One Handed/Two-handed split on what you use most. Then any extra into throwing for when you decide to use your hammer of faith to throw (will be a couple of faith levels before you can do that)

Cleric that uses One-Handed and Throwing
Mace/Sword
Shield
3rd or 4th slot Throwing Javelins/Jarids ETC.

Proficiencies: Mainly One Handed and then a close second with throwing. The One handed / Hammer of faith (melee) would be your main weapon and the throwing could be good for Cav that try to charge you or to soften up weaker enemies. You could also throw it to running enemies or ones that are causing trouble for others.

Cleric that uses OneHanded and Lances

Mace/Sword
Shield
3rd or 4th slot has a Lance

Proficiencies: Will be insane on horseback to take off a ton of strong targets with the speed bonus (especially couched lance), and the faith abilities can keep you rolling. You'll want to split it between polearms and one-handed.

NOTE: You'll need to stretch skills a bit more into agility to get better horses so take that into mind.

OVERALL:

You can mix and match these ideas; E.G. Taking One-Handed, Shield, Lance, and throwing. Just be careful, early on it'll stretch your skill points and proficiencies. Also, be warned that I can't remember if summoning the faith hammer replaces one of the weapon slots like the mage spells do. It's been a bit.

Wow! Thanks for the reply! I thought Clerics would need to put some points in throwing for some of their spells but I guess I won't need to put points in it if I want to roll a full Cleric.

About the roleplay portion, is there such a thing as a "Dark Cleric" who kills his/her enemies? (sorry don't really know much about DnD) I wanna be able to justify my character killing my enemies since I prefer to kill them rather than knock them unconscious.

iStealth2387 said:
Wow! Thanks for the reply! I thought Clerics would need to put some points in throwing for some of their spells but I guess I won't need to put points in it if I want to roll a full Cleric.

About the roleplay portion, is there such a thing as a "Dark Cleric" who kills his/her enemies? (sorry don't really know much about DnD) I wanna be able to justify my character killing my enemies since I prefer to kill them rather than knock them unconscious.

Absolutely! You can make up your own (like I did), or you can wait until the next update or so. Guspav (mod creator) is working on adding some new things like different gods / unholy symbols ETC. So it'll be great to check when it gets here :smile:. There are also evil orders, not all are good :grin:. Some are good, but do some... Questionable actions to obtain the "greater good".

For an example: My two main clerics were part of an order from a foreign land coming to quell the problem in Calradia. They wanted to purge the dead before demonic forces started coming in, and while they tried to be patient early on only knocking unconscious humans... The demons got released and they needed to "get their **** together" in a sense. They picked up blades and any weapon of war to push their way forward and stop the undead/demons at any cost. They knew that while it was terrible to kill other humans, they needed to purge the undead demons at a faster rate, or there would be no living left. 

So in summary, my clerics held it for awhile, but their hand was forced because of how fast things accelerated.

SLIGHTLY OFFTOPIC:
You can do any sort of thing :smile: Have fun with it! I'm actually tempted to make a forum post for people to post battle stories of hilarious / amazing / lucky battles during their time in Phantasy. It's not a good adventure if you can't share your stories :wink:! Maybe for some others post stories / novels with their characters.

To give a more general answer about D&D : there are literally several dozens of deities/gods/godesses in that universe, roughly equally split between good/neutral/evil. You can be a priest of Ilmater (god of suffering in the "martyr" sense, of the weak, etc), of some merchant deity whose name I've forgotten, or of Talona for instance (Goddess of poison, disease and making others suffer). Races sometimes have an "attributed" deity, such as the Spider Queen Lolth who reigns over the Drows (she's mentioned a few times in the mod I believe ?), but yet other Drows decide to "quit the dark path" and follow Eilistrae instead, who is a good goddess. That's the main example I know, mostly because of good ol' NWN since its second and best expansion was mostly played in the Underdark with the Drows. There's also Kelemvor the god of the dead (neutral), and his archenemy Velsharoon the god of the undead and necromancers. So that'd be two Clerics that could completely roleplay in this mod, one playing with the Blazing Hand and only fighting Undead, the other playing with the Delthersam Empire and raising more undeads while slaughtering the living.

Long story short : you can roleplay as a Cleric of any kind of alignment, from the most naive goody two-shoes to the worst bastard that'd make King Joffrey look like a saint.

SmurfInHell said:
NPCs will equip spells via a script instead of using  the item slots, so for them only the first weapon slot will be fixed, the other 3 will be equipped with spells. So far from the companions, only Rasreira and Aedan may cast mage spells. I will add an option for converting other NPC companions to a mage class later (affected by that script, that is).

Most grateful for help to further understand Companions as Mages and Clerics -

1. For Companion Mages, is it necessary to ensure that only their first weapon slot is filled and the remaining 3 vacant in order to enable them to cast spells?
2. For Companion Clerics, is it necessary to leave any of their weapon slots vacant to enable them to use cleric spells?
3. If Mages or Clerics are equipped with any kind of ranged weapon will this compete for usage with their spell casting? For example, if a Cleric has a Crossbow and isn't out of bolts is that going to stop him or her from using ranged Cleric spells like Flamestrike?

Cheers!

Lykurgos said:

1. For Companion Mages, is it necessary to ensure that only their first weapon slot is filled and the remaining 3 vacant in order to enable them to cast spells?
2. For Companion Clerics, is it necessary to leave any of their weapon slots vacant to enable them to use cleric spells?
3. If Mages or Clerics are equipped with any kind of ranged weapon will this compete for usage with their spell casting? For example, if a Cleric has a Crossbow and isn't out of bolts is that going to stop him or her from using ranged Cleric spells like Flamestrike?

Cheers!

1.) In terms of mages I would leave their slots vacant (at least 2 and 3 for thrown spells and a shield). Slot 1 could be used for a staff while spot 4 could be some form of backup melee weapon like a sword or such (though they could just use their staff in melee).
2.) Clerics rely more heavily on scripts, so they do not take up weapon slots 2 and 3 for casting, except the spiritual hammer which takes spot 4 as a magic weapon. So for clerics having only slot 4 open is totally fine.
3.) For mages it can compete with spellcasting, but I'm not sure the order of priority. As for the cleric they use scripts to check spellcasting. Instead of pulling out the spell to cast, they target one and use it (or group depending on the ability). So clerics would not be stopped from using their flame strike ability, but they may not get as close to use it IF they are spending their time shooting a crossbow.

Great questions! Hopefully Guspav could answer the part about spellcasting priority.

SmurfInHell said:
Lykurgos said:

Cheers!

1.) In terms of mages I would leave their slots vacant (at least 2 and 3 for thrown spells and a shield). Slot 1 could be used for a staff while spot 4 could be some form of backup melee weapon like a sword or such (though they could just use their staff in melee).
2.) Clerics rely more heavily on scripts, so they do not take up weapon slots 2 and 3 for casting, except the spiritual hammer which takes spot 4 as a magic weapon. So for clerics having only slot 4 open is totally fine.
3.) For mages it can compete with spellcasting, but I'm not sure the order of priority. As for the cleric they use scripts to check spellcasting. Instead of pulling out the spell to cast, they target one and use it (or group depending on the ability). So clerics would not be stopped from using their flame strike ability, but they may not get as close to use it IF they are spending their time shooting a crossbow.

Great questions! Hopefully Guspav could answer the part about spellcasting priority.

Well I think you pretty much covered it all. :wink:

NPC Mages' script will leave the first weapon slot untouched, all others willbe assigned a spell randomly depending on the casters' magic power skill level. Melee weapons should be equipped in the first slot if you don't want them to be useless once the bashing starts. Staffs provide a bonus to spell power so it is a good idea to give them to the casters, but nothing is stopping you from giving them a really good melee weapon like a frost brand for instance.
NPC Clerics don't use a specific weapon slot for the spiritual hammer it is just another mundane weapon equipped like any other weapon, so so far, companion clerics don't use the spiritual hammer at all. You can equip them however you like (I often give Jeremus a shield, military hammer an arquebus and cartridges).
The cleric casting scripts are controlled by how many faith points they have, their faith level and chance: they have an x% chance of casting a spell if they can afford it and some requirements are met, like the heal spell that requires at least one ally nearby with 80% or less hp.

King Ragpar said:
dO drow mages count as dark mages?
also how do you raise undead?

No, drow mages just count as drow. They won't be bothered by undead or demons but won't help in controlling the undead either.
You raise undead either after battles or by using the necromancy skill at the camp menu.

Back
Top Bottom