The 2014 FIFA World Cup, and the protests in Brazil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Wolfhead

Count
206852_10151457380881709_89654475_n.jpg

Guys, I'm not trying to preach or tell you what to do, or anything, and I try to not be serious most of the time when I'm here.

I also know this is not facebook, and if this post is seen as not appropriate, the admins are of course, welcome to delete it.

But here's the thing. We are currently in a series of protests all around the country not un-similar to the Occupy movement, and, in São Paulo, the situation is getting dangerously close to the situation in Istanbul. I have not found a single article that was not based on our own media's reports, which are obscenely biased towards the government, especially when it suits them (and it does). So I decided to elucidate it here, because there are people from all around the world in this forum, and I know some of you are football fans.

So here's a bit of a background. Firstly, the FIFA world cup, which is to happen here in Brazil next year caused a series of privatizations of public spaces, not to mention over-budgeted stadium constructions and reformations, as the governments around the country try to get everything in accordance to FIFA regulations, and to make everything nice and cozy for the tourists.

On the other hand, we have an appalling amount of corruption in our system. Politicians are pretty much expected to embezzle, and meanwhile, our health system, public transportation, public safety are completely deteriorating, and everything else is being slowly whored out for corporations in exchange for cash.

And along with all that, the Moralists in our country, mostly evangelical preachers who managed to get into congress, or have enough influence (read: money), attempt to remove even the most basic rights of everyone who is not a white male christian.
They oppose  gay marriage, fight tooth and nail so abortion can stay illegal here, and recently, they are trying to pass a law that will deny the right to abort to women carrying babies with Anencephaly, to pregnant women who have cancer, it will deny them the right to chemotherapy, and not only it will make it illegal for a victim of rape to abort the child conceived in the act, it will give the rapist paternity rights over the child.

So finally, when state and city governments decided to hike up the prices of public transportation, it all came to a head. Protests exploded (so to speak) in many major cities in the country.

But right now the problem isn't any of those. Right now the problem is police brutality. The police has been acting as a major repression force, specially in São Paulo, where riot cops were arresting people for carrying vinegar ( for soothing the pain caused by tear gas) or even raising their shirts or scarves around their face to protect themselves against the gas. They have been rubber-bulleting and macing people indiscriminately, men, women, teenagers, the elderly, journalists, ambulances (!), no one is spared. Not even people coming and going to work, who had nothing to do with the protests are spared. We have also found footage of policemen infiltrating the protesters to incite violence in order to discredit them, and even breaking their own cruisers' windows so as to look like the protesters did it.

I'm posting it for awareness, as well as to get your input on the matter and humbly ask for you to watch your footie from the comfort of your countries next year, because if you come here, this is what will be waiting for you beneath the surface. Heavy corruption, hospitals that can't help you if you need them, and fascist cops.

Wolfhead said:
But right now the problem isn't any of those. Right now the problem is police brutality. The police has been acting as a major repression force, specially in São Paulo, where riot cops were arresting people for carrying vinegar ( for soothing the pain caused by tear gas) or even raising their shirts or scarves around their face to protect themselves against the gas. They have been rubber-bulleting and macing people indiscriminately, men, women, teenagers, the elderly, journalists, ambulances (!), no one is spared. Not even people coming and going to work, who had nothing to do with the protests are spared. We have also found footage of policemen infiltrating the protesters to incite violence in order to discredit them, and even breaking their own cruisers' windows so as to look like the protesters did it.
Seems like we're in the same situation. Best of luck.

sorry Wolfles, I don't think this has much of a point; most who  would care about such a post might not be the ones to have thought of travelling there for this.

The "Don't come to Brazil" is just a slogan: its purpose is just to gather some attention.

Anyway: I am interested in news from the world!  :grin:

That is the best thing you can get from international forums like this one: news and opinions from all over the world.

I'm gonna participate in the next protests I'm able. I'm already organizing to go the next one in Monday. This is pretty serious, it's a general manifestation against the growing authoritharian measures our government has been taking. Latin America and Brazil have a historic of violent and repressive governments, and our hard earned democracy cannot be put in jeopardy by half dozen of oligarchs, bankers and corporation owners.

I'd be happy to explain what's going on to those interested.

Eктωρ said:
I'm gonna participate in the next protests I'm able. I'm already organizing to go the next one in Monday. This is pretty serious, it's a general manifestation against the growing authoritharian measures our government has been taking. Latin America and Brazil have a historic of violent and repressive governments, and our hard earned democracy cannot be put in jeopardy by half dozen of oligarchs, bankers and corporation owners.

I'd be happy to explain what's going on to those interested.

Be safe.

Damn it! I just started planning my Brazil trip and now I'm apprehensive about going. My fear is the possibility of violence towards tourists. They protesters may see us as the "cause" of the recent problems.

The protesters surely won't do that. You should fear being recognized as a protester and being beaten by the police though.

I'm also planning to go on the next one that'll be held here. The bigger irony being that I'll only be able to go because our mayor made 20/6 an exclusive holiday because there'll be a game in our brand new billion-dollars worth stadium.

At least our police force isn't attacking like São Paulo's or Rio's are. They just let the manifesting group go through the city center today with no confrontation at all.

Yes. Even the press is being attacked by the police, sometimes. It's all symptoms of unpreparedness, of course. Or maybe idiots that hold their job as police with no regard for what they stand for.

But anyways, stay away from here. Coming would only help our government with reasons to flaunt off a successful event, you'll be ripped off by the prices they're setting up, you can get hurt.

About prices, they'll be charging 12R$ for a can of Budweiser. That's literally 6 dollars. For a can. Of bad beer. Not to mention the 9R$ hotdogs.

Headmaster said:
About prices, they'll be charging 12R$ for a can of Budweiser. That's literally 6 dollars. For a can. Of bad beer. Not to mention the 9R$ hotdogs.
That's half what we pay in my country. Now I got to decide whether getting cheap beer and food is worth getting beaten by the police for.
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

rebelsquirrell said:
k brosky I'm interested.

Basically, the government is growing increasingly authoritharian and reactionary while he o****ry falls in a general state of disrepair. Our public transportation has been he ignition point, it's inhuman, people are compressed together in buses and trains that are ridiculously old and overcrowded, while the price has risen like five times above the inflation on the last year, they keep protecting the big corporate owners of transport companies while their service is **** and prices get higher and higher. Basically protesting the price raise means we're saying "We're not gonna accept this bull**** goverment protecting corrupt transport companies while the people who depend on commuting for thei everyday lives gets ****ed over incessantly".
Even if the prices fall, the protests probably will continue, they touch several areas in today's corrupt government.

FrisianDude said:
sorry Wolfles, I don't think this has much of a point; most who  would care about such a post might not be the ones to have thought of travelling there for this.
It's not only for people wanting to come here next year, I made this post for a series of reasons, like international awareness, since most news reports in English I've found are reliant in our media which is very reactionary.

Back
Top Bottom