So how do YOU pronounce...

Users who are viewing this thread

ruralvirginian

Sergeant
Sometimes I sit back in my chair and just let my mind drift (my wife insists that's my constant state  :shock:.)  In one of those times I realized that the M&B community spans the globe and crosses through many languages.  We all communicate through the Forum and seldom do we every meet or speak one to another.  And with that I began to wonder... how do we all pronounce the various Factions, towns, castles, villages, even the names of the lords and ladies?

For example: the capital of the Kingdom of the Rhodoks is Jelkala. It is a three syllable word. Where do you put the emphasis?  The first syllable: "JEL-ka-la?"  The second: "jel-KAH-la?" The third: je-ka-LAH?" Are the vowels long or short? Or a mixture like "ye-KAH-la?" And is the second syllable "ke" or "kel?" Is the J pronounced like a hard 'g' (as in giraffe) or as a "y"as in "yellow?"

Personnaly I pronounce it "gel-KAL-ah."  How do you pronounce it?

(Lord Michla thinks I spend too much time in Calradia.  That I see things others do not like Jack Pumpkinheads on winged helmets.  Maybe he's right....)

FUN!

I pronounce it YEL -kah -lah and in my mind that is how the locals pronounce it.

Swadians are likely to say GEL - kah -lah

My trusty surgeon Ymira is called why -MEER - ah,  (even though I think the proper pronunciation would be Ee-MEER -ah)

Conversely the Vaegirs castle Yruma is pronounced in my mind ya-ROO-ma

The Swadian Village Tshibtin has long been shortened to shi-bin with no t sound anywhere and really no accent on either syllable.  Soldiers add a t to the end of the first syllable to mock the poor place.

I was asking myself the same question regarding Durquba. Durk'ba! ? Dur-Ku-Bah?
I always spelled GEL - kah - lah but YEL - kah - lah sounds really good.

I pronounce Durquba as  "dur-KAH-bah"
Ymira as "ee-MEER-ah"
Yruma...would you believe I have always just "Bleep" over it.  hmmm.  Guess I'll go with your pronunciation Barnolo and start calling it 'ya-ROO-ma"
Tshibtin: I go with "t'SHIB-tin" 

Dhirim is "DEER-im"
Alayen: "AL-a-yen"
Bariyye:  ????????

Barnolo said:
I do Dhirim the same way.

Barriyye:  I say bar- ee -YAY

You know Barnolo, the more I look at it from a phoentic stand point I would say you are almost correct - the double rr would imply there is a syllable break between the two - so that you will pronounce both 'r's - so I will say bar-REE-yay (I have a tendency to emphasize on the 2d syllable).

Ah, my good friend, Sir Ruralvirginian, how would anybody think you spend too much time studying Calradia. :smile:

My pronunciations are as follows and likely influenced by the fact that I'm British.

Kal RAD ea (but only a slight emphasis).
Jel KAL a (slight).
Yi MEE ra (very slight).
Yi ROO ma (slight).
DIRkooba (slight).
ShIBtin.
Dirim.
BareeYAY.

Interesting that most of mine are second syllable emphasis but not all.  I wonder why we choose such ways.

And for the record, my own name ought to be pronounced Meek-lo but I'll accept Mick lo if that is easier for you. :smile:

Cheers.

I always try too pronounce names kind of latin way, except when it's obvious it's should be different...
Jelkala - YEhLkahlah. Gelkahlah sounds odd for me.
Ymira - I(like in english "it")MEErah, same with Yruma(Iruhmah)
Tshibtin - TCH(like in 'Czech')EEb'(almost soundless, or going into v)-teen
Bariyye - BahrEEYeh
Durquba - doorKOObah

but I always say Praven like in English(that A sound). Prahven sounds worse :razz:
And I have no idea how to pronounce Uxkhal... OOKSahl? OOKHahl? OOSHkahl?

Even more fun is while playing Brytenwalda... it's just crazy, all that celtic, briton and other languagues...

btw things get really funny when you start to pronounce names like in French :razz: Praven - pRRRahva~~(that aaooooon sound :razz:)

I pronounce Praven as "PRAH-ven' - probably because when I first saw it in the original M&B I tghought it was Prague.  :oops:

Uxkhal has always been easy for me. I pronounce the 'x' (which in English is a very unusual sound - something like a k & s rolled together as in 'ax') so it is 'UXK-haul'

Anyone want to take a stab at Tosdhar or Balanli?  To me they are 'TOS-thar' (I conclude that dh creates the 'th' sound) and ...and...and...that letter/syllable combination in Balanli just doesn't flow right in English....

I've just realized now that I never looks closely at the spellings of Tosdhar and Balanli.  I always quickly read them as Todshar and Balani and pronounced them as Toads -ar and bal -on -NEE.

RV this is all very fun to ponder.  I don't think until now I ever said any of these names out loud.  Although I've had many discussions of this game with others, it has always been via text and never out loud.

Barnolo said:
I've just realized now that I never looks closely at the spellings of Tosdhar and Balanli.  I always quickly read them as Todshar and Balani and pronounced them as Toads -ar and bal -on -NEE.

RV this is all very fun to ponder.  I don't think until now I ever said any of these names out loud.  Although I've had many discussions of this game with others, it has always been via text and never out loud.

It just hit me that we're all different nationalities (or in the case of Canada and US -different parts of the country) and we all look at spellings and annuciate them differently.  And some of the names of the towns, villages, & castles just leave you with a 'huh?' when you read them.

Perhaps we should start a poll on the Wiki site where we take a geographical place and put up 3-4 variations of the pronucistion.  We open it to voting over a set time period and the winning pronunciation becomes the official Silverstag pronunciation and can be added into the player notes in the game somewhere.

Oh - and Barnolo - 'bal-on-NEE' wil not work because you forgot the other 'l' - Balanli.  perhaps 'bal-an-LEE?'

I wonder how peoples pronounce Ayn Assuadi

I pronounce it as A-YEN (2 syl) AS-SU-A-DI (4 syl)

For Jelkala I pronounce it as Jel-Ka-La (3 syl)
Barriye as Bar-riy-ye (3 syl) don't know always pronounce it double Y.
Dirigh Aban as Di-Rih (2 syl) A-Ban (2 Syl)
Tshibtin as Sip-Tin (2 syl)

What if we were to try and figure out which cultures in our history are most like the cultures in game and then try and pronounce each name the way that those cultures would pronounce them?

HeirOfWallachia said:
What if we were to try and figure out which cultures in our history are most like the cultures in game and then try and pronounce each name the way that those cultures would pronounce them?

An interesting idea, although I'd had to go a long way back to my German roots which I don't consider myself to be. My reasoning for this is that I'm South African, and well it's unlikely we are a culture are in the game :razz:

haroon said:
I wonder how peoples pronounce Ayn Assuadi

I pronounce it as A-YEN (2 syl) AS-SU-A-DI (4 syl)

For Jelkala I pronounce it as Jel-Ka-La (3 syl)
Barriye as Bar-riy-ye (3 syl) don't know always pronounce it double Y.
Dirigh Aban as Di-Rih (2 syl) A-Ban (2 Syl)
Tshibtin as Sip-Tin (2 syl)

Ayn Assuadi for me is "ein AS-sue-ah-dee"
Dirigh Aban: 'DUR-ig AH-ban"
Tshibtin is still 'T' SHIB-tin" to me.
I pronounce both r's as you have done- "BAR-ree-yeh" (one of the few three syllable words that I emphasize the 1st syllable.)

HeirOfWallachia said:
An interesting idea, although I'd had to go a long way back to my German roots which I don't consider myself to be. My reasoning for this is that I'm South African, and well it's unlikely we are a culture are in the game :razz:

Why Schmidy - just last week Dawg of War was mentioning to us in Assemblia that the entire new land mass to the south of Shariz was going to be based off of the Western Cape Province...  :razz:

HeirOfWallachia said:
Good idea, but is Swadia more like French or like German or English? :razz: Rhodoks Italian or Swiss or Dutch or Czech(because of Hussites)? That's a problem :smile:
Vaegirs are like all Slavs, Sarranids like Arabs/muslim, Nords all that Scandinavia. Khergits... well Mongol or some of many Turkic tribes...

Back
Top Bottom