So how do YOU pronounce...

Users who are viewing this thread

HUtH said:
HeirOfWallachia said:
What if we were to try and figure out which cultures in our history are most like the cultures in game and then try and pronounce each name the way that those cultures would pronounce them?
Good idea, but is Swadia more like French or like German or English? :razz: Rhodoks Italian or Swiss or Dutch or Czech(because of Hussites)? That's a problem :smile:
Vaegirs are like all Slavs, Sarranids like Arabs/muslim, Nords all that Scandinavia. Khergits... well Mongol or some of many Turkic tribes...

Maybe Swadia is more like the French. Just as the French are famous for their Knights and so is Swadia, and the French used crossbows just as Swadia uses crossbows. The Rhodoks make me think of the Swiss, because of the use of pikes and crossbows.

Rhodoks are more along the lines of the Italians, not swiss.  If there were guns, they'd be using those.  Pike and shot formations, very effective.

pointing Sarranid to represent arabic can be also been seen by the name of city or village for example Ayn or Ain, it mean spring. Like the battle of Ayn Jaloot between Mameluks and Mongol, Ayn Jalut mean Spring of Jalut or Goliath. So we can now from the etymology of the city or town which country does the nation represent. Also Mameluks is the soldier that been used by the Abbassid.

For Swadia, Rhodoks, Nord, or Vaegir other maybe can figure it out which country that these kingdom represent. I don't know, Praven like Prague maybe :sad: Nord is definitely Scandinavian. The rest maybe other know better than me. 

Btw what about Curaw? :razz: That name could be pronounce in many different ways... many...

I shouldn't think we'd need an "official" way to pronounce the names.  Surely it is up to the player as that too adds immersion. 

Cheers.

Lord Michlo said:
I shouldn't think we'd need an "official" way to pronounce the names.  Surely it is up to the player as that too adds immersion. 

Cheers.

You're probably right - but it's interesting to see how everyone does pronounce the various towns and people that populate Calradia.

Ooh this is a lovely subject in games with fictional stories :smile:

Hmm
Durquba = Dur-KYU-bar
Dhirim = DEE-reem
Bariyye = BA-ree-yee
Tshibtin = CHIP-tin
Praven = PRAIR-ven
Tosdhar = TOS-dar (bit like toaster without the A)
Balanli = Ba-LARN-lee (There is a word with similar sounding syllables. Manly...?)
Ayn Assuadi = EYEN A-SAR-di (I always thought it was eyen assowdi)
Curaw = KYU-raw
Man I have the urge to flood this whole page with pronunciations!
Tihr = TEAR (sometimes TEE-rr)
Ahmerrad = Ah-MAIR-rahd
Ibdeles = Ib-DAIR-lez
Hrus = H-ROOZ

Welp, those are some of my pronunciations.

eterpay - it's fascinating that you add 'r's in your sounding out of Praven, Durquba, Balanli, Ayn Assuadi and Ibdeles.

I pronounce Ibdeles as "IB-del-es" and  Hrus as "H-roos"

Interesting topic. In matter of pronunciation, in Slovak we have more consonant sound and (maybe) vowel sounds than in English, so I'm in slight advantage.
For the matter of Jelkala, it's /'jelkala/ (yep, we pronounce (almost) everything as it's written with stress usually on the first syllable). But usually, I pronounce with mixture of Slovak and English(whichever pronunciation would be easier)

Hello,

I am warned not to reply, for fear of necroing the post. I know that I'm new here, but can I be excused for doing so? In my humble opinion, it is worth it, because this is a fascinating topic and something I never thought about too much until I joined this forum. I'm recording some footage of one of the Warband mods and I just blurt out every name before thinking about it. It leads to some interesting situations, in my opinion.

In no order:

Swadia

First, Uxkhal. What? I just say UHKS-awl. The k drops.

Praven is PRAH-vehn

Dhirim is easy - DEER-ihm

Tadsamesh - TAZ-DUH-mehsh. Whoops  :lol:

Rhodoks

JEHL-KAHL-uh

VI-LOO-kuh

Sarranids

BEAR-IH-yay

Shariz = SHE-rahz. You know why  :lol:

AYN-UH-swahd-ee I think I got this one right first time.  :lol:

Vaegirs

KUHR-AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW like a vengeful crow come to feast on the corpses of his slain and starved foes.

Hmm, I'll give it a go:

Harlaus    -    Hair-loss

Nizar      -    Sneezar  (a comment on his rediculous bearing)

Tshibtin    -    S***bin

There are a few other names I make fun of, but more seriously:

Ayn Assuadi  -    A-yn Ass-u-WAH-dee  with a short u

Ahmerrad      -    Hard to put that one in English.  Arabic uses a guttural "h" that's important to the sound.  AKH-mer-RAHD

Mijayet          -    mee-ya-YET

Iqbayl            -    eek-BI-yul

And there are a couple I think are missing punctuation:

Ismirala  -  Išmirala  -  ISH-meer-AH-la

Tismirr  -  Tišmirr    -  TISH-meer

And possibly Ušlum?

Anyway, the colourful names give the map an interesting flavour in my mind, whether I'm pronouncing the names correctly or not.

I have a name for you,Senuzgda the castle just below and to the left of Dhirim. I've never figured out just how to pronunce that one,despite the fact that I own it in most of my campaigns.

Michael1 said:
I have a name for you,Senuzgda the castle just below and to the left of Dhirim. I've never figured out just how to pronunce that one,despite the fact that I own it in most of my campaigns.

Hello,

That's a hard one. Seh-NUHZ-guh-duh?

Back
Top Bottom