The NSA Scandal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Captain Lust said:
Why is everyone so surprised? Since when do you have to be a tin-hat conspiracy theorist to realise that they will monitor you in every way they possibly can?

Captain Lust said:
xenoargh said:
Our Constitution... [snip]
Bahahaha

+ 1

Scully said:
I think I heard about this about 6 years ago, so I googled "How to make bomb and blow up America". Why did the FBI never come :sad: Could they not find me because of my tinfoil hat?

Because you use proxy IP fool :razz:

Adorno said:
True, it happened after the Obama administration took office,
but it seems like a natural follow up to the many laws passed after 9/11 tearing down fundamental rights.

I hope both the left and right wing - and all in between - can come together to criticize this;
and an army of journalists will work to uncover how widespread it is.

Right from the start Obama slipped into W's shoes and started behaving just like him. Sadly he was still a better choice than Romney and it's too bad the Democrats decided not to run a candidate for president in 2012.

That isn't too surprising either. I've decided never to go to the USA years ago when I heard they take fingerprints on the airports from foreigners.

Well then I hope none of your data goes through the US, too! Mwahhahahahahah

The NSA is supposed to focus on foreigners anyway, right?

Anyway, Obama seems to be deflecting some of the **** coming his way to the Congress. I'm guessing an intelligence oversight chairman is going to take one for the team.

xenoargh said:
Every once in a long, long while, one of the two parties dies. 
Which would really just reinforce my point. I would also like to inquire which case of death you are speaking of.

xenoargh said:
More often, there is a sudden shift in the balance as constituents decide to switch parties permanently over an issue.

Since both parties fear losing their precious percentages, as they're nearly always close to 50/50 nationally if not at the local level... in issues like this one, both parties will not have the option to just sit it out.  The question therefore is whether one of the parties decides that now is the time to shift its position.  Perhaps, perhaps not; doing so means that various people will have to suddenly declare that they've "re-thought their positions" and so forth.

When that happens, the whole tectonic mass of our two-party system shifts, often quite rapidly, as the other party tries to figure out the best way to either join in or stake out an equally-well-polling position, and eventually we get back to the two-party stability.  The interim periods are usually quite messy, though :smile:
We havent seen much of that in the last decade and considering that congress took 9 years to pass legislation to support 9-11 first responders, i have my doubts that any meaningful legislation is going to emerge from this any time soon.

xenoargh said:
I know that to most foreigners, our two-party system must seem bizarre, but that's how it works and why it's generally stayed very stable while reacting to what people want.  It doesn't always work, but it usually does.
Just because im currently not living in the states does not mean that i am unable to understand its system. It certainly is stable in regards to the available parties, but its fairly poor when it comes to doing what the people want. Thats an inherent attribute of a 2 party and winner takes all system. You only have a binary choice and parties dont have to offer you a good deal, they just have to avoid being the worse deal.

The approval rating of congress speaks for itself in that regard.

Mage246 said:
They're also keeping track of the data of foreigners too, BTW.  :wink:
Echelon has been around for a while. Nothing new there.

This is where they browse through your emails and get stressed by your spelling and grammar. Give 'em hell.
b1e105cb-228d-40ba-ad0e-3ca8cb36cafa-460x361.jpeg

Edit: Here come the loonies, Rand Paul to the rescue.

I bet this news just made rgodfrey the happiest idiot on planet Earth.

I'm pretty sure that to him, no matter the subject, Jesus is involved somehow.

I would also like to inquire which case of death you are speaking of.
The Republicans are the most likely to fracture on these issues; this puts the Libertarian Right squarely at odds with the Neocons.  I was expecting that split earlier, but Romney just barely kept the Libertarians from abandoning him en masse, although not enough to win the election.

The Far Left here is already profoundly disappointed with Obama over a number of issues, but they have nobody to champion them who isn't tainted, so I suspect that the effects on the Democratic Party will be small. 

However, this makes it even harder for me to imagine his Administration getting much done now, even if they successfully throw various parties under the bus and keep saying that it's OK, like they have with the other scandals.  Nobody on the Right will trust him now.

Anyhow, did what little I could today; sent letters to my representatives in Washington and yelled a lot online.

Captain Lust said:
Why is everyone so surprised? Since when do you have to be a tin-hat conspiracy theorist to realise that they will monitor you in every way they possibly can?
I always kinda assumed most people aren't interesting enough to monitor.

xenoargh said:
I would also like to inquire which case of death you are speaking of.
The Republicans are the most likely to fracture on these issues; this puts the Libertarian Right squarely at odds with the Neocons.  I was expecting that split earlier, but Romney just barely kept the Libertarians from abandoning him en masse, although not enough to win the election.
I thought you were speaking of an event that had actually happened. :wink:

And yes the republicans seem likely to further split on this issue.

FrisianDude said:
Captain Lust said:
I always kinda assumed most people aren't interesting enough to monitor.

And they still aren't being monitored. Basically, the government has the data, but they only actually use a percentage of it.

Mage246 said:
News from rgodfrey:

“There is a massive apparatus within the United States government that with complete secrecy has been building this enormous structure that has only one goal, and that is to destroy privacy and anonymity, not just in the United States but around the world,” charged Glenn Greenwald, a reporter for the British newspaper “The Guardian,” speaking on CNN. “That is not hyperbole. That is their objective.”

Happy, indeed.

Lord Brutus said:
Mage246 said:
News from rgodfrey:

“There is a massive apparatus within the United States government that with complete secrecy has been building this enormous structure that has only one goal, and that is to destroy privacy and anonymity, not just in the United States but around the world,” charged Glenn Greenwald, a reporter for the British newspaper “The Guardian,” speaking on CNN. “That is not hyperbole. That is their objective.”

Happy, indeed.

The Beast no. 666 has taken control of the interwebs, just as the ancient prophesies fortold. Now I'm really sorry that I didn't believe Uncle Godfrey before it was too late to do anything about it.

Not really, but I'd love to see the "massive apparatus". It's probably just a boring old tower crane anyway.

Back
Top Bottom