The Syrian Civil War. Do you support a side?

Which side would you like to see win?

• Regime

Votes: 63 20.1%
  • Rebels

Votes: 29 9.3%
  • Kurds

Votes: 69 22.0%
  • Daesh

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Regime and the Kurds

Votes: 24 7.7%
  • Rebels and Kurds

Votes: 21 6.7%
  • Daesh and Kurds

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • None

Votes: 85 27.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Swadius 2.0 said:
Doesn't the deployment of chemical weapons require an immense amount of technical expertise and equipment to launch them though?
Something the FSA isn't seen to have?
No, surprisingly even whacky cultists can make and deploy the stuff to some degree. Throw in people who actually have educations (Syria has/had a very well funded school system) and deploy it be fanatics who aren't worried about their own lives, and it could be used by just about any of them.

Duh said:
Lascivo said:
The intel gathered from the FSA is no better.
Nobody said otherwise. The point is that you are spouting claims as if they were facts.

Lascivo said:
Of course they're going to blame Assad. Sarin is most likely to be used. There isn't even any clear evidence Assad has even used chemical weapons anyway. Since the FSA have Al-Qaeda in their ranks, and are supplied by them, who's to say they don't have chemical weapons? Even if Assad has used chemical weapons on the FSA, he's doing the world a favour.
So you are unable to back up your claims?
They've only used them in tiny amounts, but it's still unclear when and where, but they've blamed them on Assad. Lots of things are still unclear.

If you are aware that things are so unclear, then why are you making stupid, bold assumptions?

Also please provide sources.

Shatari said:
Swadius 2.0 said:
Doesn't the deployment of chemical weapons require an immense amount of technical expertise and equipment to launch them though?
No, surprisingly even whacky cultists can make and deploy the stuff to some degree. Throw in people who actually have educations (Syria has/had a very well funded school system) and deploy it be fanatics who aren't worried about their own lives, and it could be used by just about any of them.

I've been under the impression that the  canisters used were ones developed by the military that rebels may have captured when they overran several bases earlier in the year. Ones that might be a lot more complicated, or at least their mechanisms unfamiliar to people who have not trained in their use.

Al Qaeda seems to have much more experience making bombs than chemical weapons.

Has anyone heard of some real opposition party or some of their leaders which could actually replace Assad? AFAIK most of the rebels are members of radical Islamic groups, I might be wrong though.
I think Assad should leave but the question is have they anyone there to replace him?

Swadius 2.0 said:
I've been under the impression that the  canisters used were ones developed by the military that rebels may have captured when they overran several bases earlier in the year. Ones that might be a lot more complicated, or at least their mechanisms unfamiliar to people who have not trained in their use.

Al Qaeda seems to have much more experience making bombs than chemical weapons.

The FSA has former Syrian soldiers in its ranks, it's quite possible that some of them have an idea on the deployment of chemical weapons, I'm not actually sure of the delivery method of the chemical weapons but if it's Artillery Shells then they might just be ad hocing the shells into the guns.

I think the Syrians have BZ, that isn't lethal, but other than that I don't know what stuff they produced.

Shatari said:
Swadius 2.0 said:
Those whacky cultists were a very wealthy, global organisation, which recruited many of japans young elite (including medical personal) into their ranks (supposedly around 50k members worldwide at the time). Its a pretty difficult comparison, if you consider that the rebels on the other hand are not a unified movement and ressource allocation (both in regards to weapons and human ressources) would be difficult at best. Another major difference would be that the sect constructed their own weapons, while the rebels would be using military equipment. I suppose most of the groups could trigger the chemical weapons in some way, but whether they can properly/effectively use them to kill people... is a different question.

The little use of chemical weapons by non-state actors would indicate that it is a complex and difficult procedure though.

Lascivo said:
They've only used them in tiny amounts, but it's still unclear when and where, but they've blamed them on Assad. Lots of things are still unclear.
You have yet to provide any source that clearly proves the use of chemical weapons by a specific side.

Workaholic said:
Has anyone heard of some real opposition party or some of their leaders which could actually replace Assad? AFAIK most of the rebels are members of radical Islamic groups, I might be wrong though.
I think Assad should leave but the question is have they anyone there to replace him?

There are Muslim Brothers. They are very influential in Middle East I think. They want religious laws (as usual with outdated Hammurabi laws above Islam like in Iran)

I always have a tough time deciding who to root for in these Shiite versus Sunni conflicts. The Iraqis have really been going at it lately too. I'm sure it won't have any effect on the rest of the world no matter which team wins the rulership of Syria, but I'm also pretty sure the U.S.A. & I. won't be happy either way.

If you support the dictator (assad) against rebels (people), you should know that this is the biggest reason for radical Islamists to attack West. Western states supported those dictators against the people for the last 80 years for their own benefits (and Israel's benefit). Either support the people or stay out completely but don't expect them to like you when you support the dictator who oppress them. 

It's foolish to root for anyone in a complex situation like in Syria, so I'd like to unask the original question for meaninglessness.
The question is what is the best possible outcome for the region and the world?
I would think some kind of shared factional representation would be needed, most likely with broad autonomy for regions dominated by particular factions. It would be worst if there was one winner that would take all.

I'm sorry, why exactly are we treating the FSA as one group, rather than a bunch of loosely organized and affiliated factions? And why are we accepting it without question that Al Qaeda is a part of the FSA, when the FSA expelled a group for declaring that it was allied with Al Qaeda.

Lascivo, you are a bigoted, uneducated, uninformed, barely literate moron.

QuintessentialTurk said:
If you support the dictator (assad) against rebels (people), you should know that this is the biggest reason for radical Islamists to attack West. Western states supported those dictators against the people for the last 80 years for their own benefits (and Israel's benefit). Either support the people or stay out completely but don't expect them to like you when you support the dictator who oppress them.

The thing is that the most powerful people that are against the dictator are what the West calls Radical Islamists.

MadVader said:
It's foolish to root for anyone in a complex situation like in Syria, so I'd like to unask the original question for meaninglessness.
The question is what is the best possible outcome for the region and the world?
I would think some kind of shared factional representation would be needed, most likely with broad autonomy for regions dominated by particular factions. It would be worst if there was one winner that would take all.

There is no good outcome in the current situation.  The only way for that to happen is to stop any political entity from interfering with those geographies and leave them to evolve on their own.

ancalimon said:
The thing is that the most powerful people that are against the dictator are what the West calls Radical Islamists.
Are you saying radical islamists arent against dictators installed by the west?

Sir Saladin said:
I don't expect Syria to be much better off than Iraq if the rebels overthrow their dictator.
Agreed. Maybe a bit more like an unstable Lebanon with a low-intensity civil war going on all the time.

Duh said:
ancalimon said:

Radical Islamists are against anyone who is not violent in an Hammurabi way.

They are the evil dictators that are oppressing the people to the point that they will eventually want the radical Islamists to take power. The thing is that these Radical Islamists are those that are supported by West in the first place. Like what happened in Iran.

ancalimon said:
Duh said:
ancalimon said:

They are the evil dictators that are oppressing the people to the point that they will eventually want the radical Islamists to take power. The thing is that these Radical Islamists are those that are supported by West in the first place. Like what happened in Iran.
You are confused again. Off to the wiki and post-WW2 Iran history with you.

Back
Top Bottom