[Werewolf] [Archive] Totem of Mars (Villagers win - eight survivors out of 23)

Users who are viewing this thread

bryce777

Count
Long before the birth of Christ, the Berserk tribesmen fought and slew the Roman legionaires with impugnity. Though few in number, their ferociousness was legendary. They would fall upon the camps in the dead of night, clad only in skins, or entirely naked. Weapons bounced from their flesh, and each seemed to have the strength of many men. The Roman soldiers believed them to be demons. Their only mistake was in believing they were at war...indeed, the men of that fell tribe hunted the Romans for sport, to slake their lust for blood. Their legacy of terror had slashed across all of ancient Europe from the times when the North Sea was a fertile plain of grasslands and the wooly mammoth reigned supreme. More beast than man, this menace was one of the supernatural world, and mere strength of arms would never have the power to cleanse their tainted blood of the ancient power coursing through their veins.

After decades of these attacks, the Romans finally prevailed, for they too were not then without their own powers. The Sabine tongue still flowed easily from patrician mouths, and every household was in touch with personal spirits of some sort, often invoking secret, jealously guarded powers. Only in this way was the curse contained, the curse which could never be destroyed. It took tens of thousands to hunt down these few tainted men, and each killed dozens before being subdued. Finally, they were burned together in a massive bonfire at sunset even as some of them transformed into their disgusting wolfgod's image and shredded free of their bonds - but too late. To contain the evil, a totem to the god Mars was constructed, pressed together from calf fat and the ashes of the bonfire. If ever the totem were to be destroyed, the evil would once again break free and plague mankind - perhaps this time forever, sinking the world into a darkness from which it would not have the strength to emerge.

A remote temple was constructed just inside the borders of modern day Switzerland, a temple to guard the totem and contain the curse for all time. Though the world changes, the temple itself stays much the same. Instead of priests of Mars and retired veterans as guards, it eventually became a christian retreat, and then a monastery dedicated to Saint Moses the Black. Always the head of the order understands that this is a special place, however; the evil power pulses through the very walls of the place and any who enter know in their hearts that it is a place full of great terror.  Each monastic head has instinctively know his duty to protect the world from this waiting calamity. Each pope carefully selects men for this task and for centuries there have been few incidents of note.

Today, it is winter. All of Europe and Eurasia are in the throws of war as the Nazis and Bolsheviks and British Empire all struggle for their very survival. The great empires of the day have long since traded superstition and the supernatural for the cut and measure of scientific achievement. Only one power yet takes the supernatural seriously - the new Reich and its leaders leave no stone unturned in their quest for power, no matter how seemingly ridiculous or unlikely the source may be. This is the reason for much of their dangerousness - the innovation of the Blitzkrieg and the reckless forging ahead into new technologies and new and brutal doctrines of repressing and savaging their fellow man.

Nazi agents scour the world, seeking above all two artifacts of great power - the holy grail and the spear that pierced Christ's side, yet also picking up any object of supernatural might that may possibly be subverted to their twisted plans. Though not believing in the occult, there are those who would oppose the Nazis in all things. Agents of the British Empire attempt to foil them at every turn, determined to sabotage any and all efforts of the men of this new Reich, whatever the cost.

And so it is that the monastery of Moses The Black is full of strangers today. Strangers fighting, or rather strangers running from the tail end of a fight. Two separate expeditions have been funded by two separate powers to investigate the strange tales surrounding the mysterious monastery. Sparks flew at their meeting, and soon the leaders of each came to blows and then gunfire resounded through the mountains. The mundane fighting of man against man was only the beginning of the horror, however; soon one of the expedition leaders, Von Stross, took the totem in hand...only to be shot from behind by a rival.

As his blood stained the totem, all the men in the room sprouted hair and transformed into hairy and feral demonic executioners. Until then the priests had remained quiescent, but quickly they sprang into action. All night long they used their specially prepared tools to seek out and eradicate the wolf demons, even as the wolf demons exterminated the priests and the remains of the expeditions.

When morning dawned, only those who had had the wit to flee into the specially reinforced priest cells remained alive. The strange mechanism of them now became obvious in purpose - for, when each is barred within, it is only possible to open the outer seal to one cell at a time. Thus, the 21 remaining survivors could be assured that a pack of wolves could only kill one of them each night. So, 21 friends and enemies took stock of the situation, and tried to determine how to best kill the remaining wolves. It was clear that since the wolves could only be permanently killed by special weapons at sundown that only one chance each day would be given to kill a wolf.

There seemed to be three remaining packs of two wolves each. The survivors could only hope that the packs would tear each other apart or that some of the British or Nazi agents with special skills had survived the night to lend their special talents to the struggle. With the icy hand of winter blocking the few treacherous passes that lead into the tiny valley, the remaining survivors must overcome their differences to dfeat the wolves or die.

Rules:
Each day, the players select one person to execute, attempting to slay a wolf.

Each night, each surviving pack selects one player to slay.

The wolves appear as regular survivors in the day, and start the game with the knowledge of their packmate but are not allowed to communicate before the game or during the daytime.  During the night, wolves in the same pack can PM each other - or better yet use instant messenger. Otherwise, no player should PM any other player about anything REMOTELY connected with the game, or PM ANYONE about the role they have.

In addition to the wolves, some of the players have a special role giving them special nighttime abilities.

Special roles:
Naturalist - the mountains were selected for being rich in wolfsbane as well as being remote. Unfortunately, unrefined wolfsbane is a lethal poison with no sure antidote. Without proper equipment, the herbalist can only somewhat cleanse the wolfsbane of its poisonous nature. As such, if he spikes the water of a player twice in a row with wolfsbane, that player will DIE, whether wolf or man. However, if he uses it just once then that player will be protected from wolves for the night...and that player is a wolf he will be unable to hunt that night, so if he has no packmate left, he will make no kill. The naturalist may choose to dose any single player each night, including himself. Two doses in a row or at the same time by any combination of the two naturalists will kill the player so dosed.

Priest of the Old Order - The pope has also sent an agent along to make sure the Nazis do not disturb the Totem of Mars. Each night, the priest has the ability to reveal the role of one player to another player by praying to Moses The Black to reveal the knowledge in a dream. However, this is a two edged sword as he can inadvertently reveal the role of a special to a wolf. He is also unable to use this information to learn the roles of others for himself, or to reveal his own role. He can also choose not to reveal anyone's role to anyone else.

Nazi Assassin - though confined to his cell at night like everyone else, he is far from helpless if the wolves break in. Armed with virulent poisons and charms against the supernatural such as a ring of the black sun, this SS assassin is a demon in his own right. If attacked by one wolf, he has a 50/50 chance of prevailing. If attacked by two wolves, he is sure to die, but has a 50/50 chance of taking one of the wolves in the pack out before he dies. He also has enough contact poison to poison one other player. He may choose to do this on any night he is still alive, but can only poison one player the entire game.

British Sleuth - This agent of the Empire once made his mark in the roles of Scotland Yard. Aside from being a master of disguise, he is also a master of the arts of stealth and able to sneak out each night and safely investigate one of his fellow players, gathering clues and determining that player's status.

Fraternal Twins - These two have a unique bond with each other. Each night they have the opportunity for one of them to hide in the cell of the other, saving him from potential wolf attack. They also start off knowing each other's status, and are able to PM each other or talk on messenger in the nighttime much like the wolves.

The players:
1. Bugman, a Shirpa (wolf - killed by the remaining mindripper wolf on night two)
2. Tarrant, A local goatherder
3. Morgoth, German world war one ace (normal player - poisoned by Nazi assassin on night two)
4. Seff, A former member of the Scotts guard
5. Sir Velmu, a physician (wolf of abominable pack - executed on day five)
6. Iberon, disgraced German diplomat (Naturalist - executed on day one)
7. Xardob, Supplymaster for the English expedition (formerly known as Kolba)
8. James, famous Welsh survivalist (dark wolf of mindripper pack - executed on day four)
9. Hidrogeno, Von Stross's personal assistant (Nazi assassin - sent hurtling to hell by her own hand during assault by abominable pack on night three)
10. Silver, Oxford theologian
11. EasyCo506, American Archaeologist
12. Knight of Cydonia, Polish resistance fighter (normal player - torn apart by olympus pack on night one)
13. Oubliette, an Irish renegade turned Nazi (sleuth - crushed by abominable pack on night two)
14. Adaham, a fully qualified mountaineer
15. Vilhjalmr, a scandinavian mercenary
16. Trooper5445, an SS veteran (wolf of abominable pack - executed on day two)
17. Manslayer, an amnesiac monk
18. Llew2, lecter of the monastary (normal player - crushed by a 16 ton weight on day one)
19. mkeller, a novice of the monastery (wolf of olympus pack - slain by mindripper pack on night one)
20. dagorkan, a belgian refugee (innocent - throat shredded by mindripper pack on night three)
21. Sunhawken, a Britsh armed guard (wolf of mindripper pack- slain by abominable pack on night one)
22. Lamjoe, not a British sleuth (innocent - executed on day three.)

One last note - NO EDITING POSTS. Also, NO POSTING PMs!

PS I expect you to post something every day you are online. If you're going to miss a few days please post that in the thread before you go, if possible. Otherwise you will be replaced or killed off.

Some changes - there are 3 packs of two wolves, two naturalists, two nazi assassins and one set of twins. One more change - if multiple packs attack the same target there is some chance that they will fight each other instead of attacking the target, in which case one pack will lose a member.

Go ahead and post, guys, everyone has been PMed their roles and the game is on :smile:

I will put in some more narration later.

Interesting opening and deviation from the standard wolf procedure. The narration is good. Looking forward to a good game.

I think I am obligated to post all my posts from now on as a stereotypical French person. Would sure make things interesting. / Spam BS.

miclee1 said:
Ughhh... I missed the signup? If you can, put me in as a Native Chief.

I already rolled out the roles :sad:

But please do read along. we ALWAYS need at least 2-3 replacements for various reasons.

Someone should post a basic rules of the werewolf game sticky. I'd join, but I keep getting put off by the fact that I have no idea how to play. (and I'm too idle to look through the older werewolf games to check up on the rules.)

Cleaning Agent said:
Someone should post a basic rules of the werewolf game sticky. I'd join, but I keep getting put off by the fact that I have no idea how to play. (and I'm too idle to look through the older werewolf games to check up on the rules.)
Ya'll talk, then vote to lynch someone you think is a wolf, then night happens and people get to do wacky **** based on their roles. 

Capisce?

Lynch me for this, but do Naturalists also have the power to kill? By my math that would make up to 14 deaths (not likely, but possibly) by the end of the second night!!!

Yay, let the blood fest begin!

Naturalists can kill. If someone gets dosed two nights in a row, he dies. If someone gets dosed by both naturalists in the same night, he dies. So, the naturalists need to be careful.

Sir. Velmu said:
Lynch me for this, but do Naturalists also have the power to kill? By my math that would make up to 14 deaths (not likely, but possibly) by the end of the second night!!!

Yay, let the blood fest begin!

Trying to tell us something there Velmu?

Alright, Polski resistance, sweet!
Mam nadzieję te ciemny I odwiedzane sale nie staje się naszym poważnym...
Ahem.

Loving the narration, TSN: very nice to have something different from a standard Eastern-European setting.
I am a tad worried that if we get too many lurkers, we're going to find it impossible to get the majority to lynch... whatever that may be: I'm assuming it's 12, for the majority, or are we playing with a time limit TSN?

And Velmu, the whole point is that a smart Naturalist will only protect people for one night in a row, switching between the most likely targets to give them more chance of surviving, just as the Assassin will only attack another player if they are certain beyond reasonable doubt they are a wolf, and the Priest will only give a vision to those he is reasonably certain are human. For once, it's about knowing when to use the ability, rather than firing it off at random folk you suspect/want to protect every night.

Anyway, in the grand tradition of every Werewolf game since time immemorial (unless he's a wolf, in which case he always lives to third day, funnily enough...)

Vote: Vilhjalmir

:wink:

I'm not going to commit myself just yet. I don't want to have a part in the death of an innocent but then if I choose wrong more of them will die. It's a tough choice.

Sir. Velmu said:
Bugman said:
Trying to tell us something there Velmu?

That's the general idea of posting, Rosie. To share thoughs :roll:

I know, only joking with you. If I thought you were a threat then I would have voted on you.

KOC: I hope you're joking. And I hope you are first to die  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom