Li guerreier de Moretoin

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem that you're a little misguided there FostersTop. I'd wager a heavy bag of coin that the Víkingr community is one of the best in Warband; our only Achilles heel being absolute suckers for historical accuracy and proper naming conventions where and when it is appropriate. We can (or at least, I can) seem like a prickly **** when they arise.

Scippio has been given the tools and the threads to create an authentic group (if he so wishes), to better himself within the wider player base (as most here take authentic names) - even if he himself seemed impermeable to the use of some common sense. Take a look at the suggested clan threads that I posted earlier, then look at a few others (as I missed several; Erlinga, Fenrisbarn, Sons of Ragnarr) and you'll get an idea as to how it rolls here. You're under a unique privilege when browsing this sub forum as to the quality of linguistic and historical support when it comes to creating a group (as hroða has posted). A small group of MnG players using wildly inappropriate names is not going to boost anything when it comes to this community, players numbers are stable and have been for some time (not that player numbers particularly matter here, again a unique position we find ourselves in). What will help everyone out though is a sensible approach and attitude towards the use of naming conventions, historical authenticity and the right stuff. You'll find no shortage of corrections and addendum in this place, none of us are shy of criticism or a severe helping hand (of which this is).

In short; if Scippio wills it, the help is there. Otherwise it'll be largely ignored (and externally mocked by the cruel few!  :razz:)

Cheers Sirrah.

FostersTop said:
Not going to lie Scippio, the members of the  VikingR community seem like a bunch of hostile, juvenile little buggers. I'd recommend dismissing attempts to boost the numbers of their community and stick with what you know my friend :razz:

Ya well don't my the realism fanatics. We've had some "lol"-clans before like the renowed cavemen and they've added some nice tone to the mod. Maybe in time you'll understand realism as the hearth of this mod like somebody else, but I would say that we shouldn't expect same kind of clan thread from you guys than from people who have played this mod for years.

I see change and different approached welcome as they wouldn't challenge the current view of this mod to maybe something better. Maybe we shouldn't be so passive-hostile against guys like you who aren't so familiar with the community or the mod.

Misguided only by what I've seen from the reaction to Scippio's post.

Most MP mods for Warband welcome new communities with welcome arms, despite any flaws they have. Just shocked me to see such a negative response to a great addition to VikingR, not that I play the game. As a casual gamer this is much to serious for a simple man like myself.

It's really not that serious at all. Just change the name simple.

It's not like you have a RP or this is some MMORPG.

Chill, everyone. We just gave advice on how to be seen as a real clan around these parts and offered to help them go in that direction if they're so inclined. Víkingr clans have some privileges but they should live up to some standards to be able to benefit from them after all, but if they don't want those privileges it's their call.

FostersTop said:
Not going to lie Scippio, the members of the  VikingR community seem like a bunch of hostile, juvenile little buggers. I'd recommend dismissing attempts to boost the numbers of their community and stick with what you know my friend :razz:
When in Rome, do as Romans do.
The Vikingr community showed and stated that historically accurate, well, atleast somehow so, clans and groups are nicer to have than some random groups with no thoughts given into the thread and name of the group, and they did it very nicely. It was you guys who went full *******, I dare say.

FostersTop said:

Communist Dolphin Squad, remember?

Ok, so I admit I ****ed up at start when making a clan. Didn't read the *clan rules*, my bad.
Listened to the people, did what they told me.
-Changed the name of the clan to *Mortain*
-Using Viking name

Going to change the ranks or take them off, because Normans had houses not Tribes, atleast that's what one of my friends said. And Baron, Lord... Wouldn't really sound very good imo.

I think we should quit this fighting, because all I ever wanted to do is to make a clan in Vikingr and play it more often... And I'm thankful for those people that tried to help me. :smile:

hrotha said:
Anyway, do you want help to make things more immersive and authentic? If so, just ask. Your new clan name* and some of the personal names seem to suggest you're going for a Norman clan, but in that case the Norse ranks wouldn't be suitable. Although I'd just recommend ditching the ranks altogether, other than the leader rank, because they don't work too well in this setting. This isn't the Roman army, with a detailed system of ranks and offices, after all.

*Assuming 'Mortain' here is the name of the French commune in Normandy.

We're not done with you yet, silly!  :razz:

Right!

So, Mortain. My advice would be not to play as the count of Mortain and his retinue (because playing as, say, Count Robert de Mortain wouldn't be different from playing as the Ynglingr king), but maybe as a captain of the count's household troops. You could be known as the Gent de Moretoin ("Men of Mortain"), Gent del ****e de Moretoin ("Men of the Count of Mortain") or something like that, led by a cataignes or "captain".

hrotha said:
Right!

So, Mortain. My advice would be not to play as the count of Mortain and his retinue (because playing as, say, Count Robert de Mortain wouldn't be different from playing as the Ynglingr king), but maybe as a captain of the count's household troops. You could be known as the Gent de Moretoin ("Men of Mortain"), Gent del ****e de Moretoin ("Men of the Count of Mortain") or something like that, led by a cataignes or "captain".

I know, we won't use ranks like Duke or some leader position. We will be the garrisons men or something like that.

IL_Scippio said:
I know, we won't use ranks like Duke or some leader position. We will be the garrisons men or something like that.
I know, just throwing some Old Norman French suggestions out there, because I thought "The [Name of a town]" was an odd name for a group of people.

hrotha said:
IL_Scippio said:
I know, just throwing some Old Norman French suggestions out there, because I thought "The [Name of a town]" was an odd name for a group of people.

Warriors Of Mortain would be better? Garrison of Mortain?
Give me some suggestions if you have any..

hrotha said:
Right!

A couple there...

Some others:

Hom de Moretoin ("Men of Mortain")
Werreier/Guerreier de Moretoin ("Warriors of Mortain")
Warde/Garde de Moretoin ("Guards of Mortain")
Sergant de Moretoin ("Servants of Mortain")
Maisnee de Moretoin ("Troop of Mortain")
Hostes de Moretoin ("Host of Mortain")

There's also Warisun/Garisun de Moretoin, but I don't think that would mean "garrison" by the 11th century.

hrotha said:
Some others:

Hom de Moretoin ("Men of Mortain")
Werreier/Guerreier de Moretoin ("Warriors of Mortain")
Warde/Garde de Moretoin ("Guards of Mortain")
Sergant de Moretoin ("Servants of Mortain")
Maisnee de Moretoin ("Troop of Mortain")
Hostes de Moretoin ("Host of Mortain")

There's also Warisun/Garisun de Moretoin, but I don't think that would mean "garrison" by the 11th century.

I think we'll go with Werreier/Guerreier de Moretoin ("Warriors of Mortain")

Could the ingame name still be Moretoin_(Name)?

It would be better to go for (Name)_de_Moretoin.

As for choosing between werreier and guerreier, since Mortain lies south of the Joret line I figure you should go with guerreier, but that would mean the personal name you chose should be changed to reflect the phonology of southern Norman dialects: it should be Galdin (see the modern descendant "Gaudin"). So, the full name of your clan would be Li guerreier de Moretoin, "Warriors of Mortain", and you would be Galdin de Moretoin.

Which means I need to edit my thread about Norman names because I completely overlooked this. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom