Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austupaio said:
Pretty sure I haven't seen reports of Canadians repeatedly shooting people in the eye sockets with rubber bullets. Some people got hit in the head and were hurt, but there was not a string of reports of people being shot in the eye.

Also, dismantling your military is not a tactic found in most western countries, I've said this before.
Police can be dicks, see 'murica.

And Turkey has had several military coups in the last several decades.

Austupaio said:
Pretty sure I haven't seen reports of Canadians repeatedly shooting people in the eye sockets with rubber bullets. Some people got hit in the head and were hurt, but there was not a string of reports of people being shot in the eye.

Also, dismantling your military is not a tactic found in most western countries, I've said this before.
a) The military hasn't been dismantled and b) most western countries haven't had 4 successful military coups in the last 50ish years.

Yes, I know that the police situation in the U.S. is ****ty as well, but the situation is hard to place side by side and compare, so I didn't bother trying.

As for the military coups... well... gee, I wonder why.

Kobrag said:
Woah, blanket generalisation from a 'murican, such a rarity. :eek:
Whoa, blanket generalisation from a Brit', such a rarity. :lol:

pentagathus said:
There's no need to be wondering, you could actually look them up and find out.
Looks the attempt in 2010 was mainly instigated by... the secular military being opposed to highly religious government. Huh.

Almost seems related.

And then a year later the same government was re-elected with a whole lot of public support. So that alleged attempted coup was entirely un-democratic. You seem to think that democracy and secular are interchangeable words.

Mostly I think that religion has no place in the government of a nation people would refer to as forward.

It hadn't actually occurred to me that some of the argument or miscommunication could be based on it being 'okay' that the government is fundamentalist.

Yeah, this is getting religious. I don't have the patience to argue religion so I'll refer you to the religion thread where people more intelligent than me discuss it.

@Aust: You should really stop now, you have hijacked a thread on a topic you know nothing about. This is not about your personal online education on Turkey, we'd rather learn more from our Turkish friends what's going on there.

Austupaio said:
Yeah, this is getting religious. I don't have the patience to argue religion so I'll refer you to the religion thread where people more intelligent than me discuss it.
We are not arguing religion, just the peoples right to vote for parties with either religious influence or standing if they so wish. =/.

MadVader said:
@Aust: You should really stop now, you have hijacked a thread on a topic you know nothing about. This is not about your personal online education on Turkey, we'd rather learn more from our Turkish friends what's going on there.
You may notice that I did stop because Pentagathus enlightened me as to the fact that the democratic issues I was considering come down to religion.

Furthermore, I can post or ask what I like as I'm not spamming, purposefully being offensive (aside from the sky wizard comment) nor talking about software piracy.

It does at least partially, because the alcohol and public affection laws could be considered a positive thing by a largely religious community. I have nothing to say about that, so I opt out.

Duh gets points for best explanation of his thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom