Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goker said:
What's stupid about that claim is this.

Recognised only by Turkey...
Does recognise makes lands to your land ? Definitely Turkey has a big power in North Cyprus, but still we cant say North Cyprus is Turkey's land officially. But Süleyman Shah tomb was officially Turkey's land, so not the same thing.

Cyborg Eastern European said:
Yeah, I'll go on a limb and say it's not Turkish as much as Crimea ain't Russian.
We can't say North Cyprus is not Turkish but we can say North Cyprus is not Turkey's land.

North Cyprus Turkish Republic is not Turkey's land formally, however it doesn't mean that it is not a Turkish land. I don't know, there many historic and politic things that we can't argue here because of lack of knowledge.

ancalimon said:
Turkey lost its final territory outside the borders of Turkey remaining from the days of Ottoman Empire today.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31572257

I don't know why but BBC behaves like an enemy of the Turkish government in the recent days (and Erdogan also speaks out against them). There is no more objectivity in their news. Therefore, I always doubt their news about Turkey. Trust me, I took many perception management, textual analysis and critical reading/writing lectures :grin:

dragos said:
North Cyprus Turkish Republic is not Turkey's land formally, however it doesn't mean that it is not a Turkish land. I don't know, there many historic and politic things that we can't argue here because of lack of knowledge.

ancalimon said:
Turkey lost its final territory outside the borders of Turkey remaining from the days of Ottoman Empire today.

I don't know why but BBC behaves like an enemy of the Turkish government in the recent days (and Erdogan also speaks out against them). There is no more objectivity in their news. Therefore, I always doubt their news about Turkey. Trust me, I took many perception management, textual analysis and critical reading/writing lectures :grin:

I don't know why you think the BBC are behaving like an enemy of the Turkish government based on that article. It doesn't even sound critical of Turkey's actions to me, I get a favourable impression of Turkey from reading it. Is it because of this section?:

The government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, which has lost control over much of northern Syria as a result of the country's civil war, condemned the incursion as "flagrant aggression".

It said that Turkey had informed its Istanbul consulate about the operation but had not waited for Syria's consent.

Because that is just journalism- if the Syrian government did indeed say that, then the BBC was right to report it. It is clearly relevant to the story; having reported that Turkey has sent forces into Syrian territory begs the question of what the Syrian government thought.

DanAngleland said:
dragos said:

ancalimon said:

I don't know why you think the BBC are behaving like an enemy of the Turkish government based on that article. It doesn't even sound critical of Turkey's actions to me, I get a favourable impression of Turkey from reading it.

I am not talking about only the article :roll: All I try to say is the last events show us that there is a conflict between the government and BBC and it may affect the objectivity of the news in my opinion.

A 'conflict' because Erdogan doesn't like what the BBC (and other media) have reported about him in recent years? Are you saying you don't believe the article? If you don't have any suspicions of that particular article, why quote it?

DanAngleland said:
A 'conflict' because Erdogan doesn't like what the BBC (and other media) have reported about him in recent years? Are you saying you don't believe the article? If you don't have any suspicions of that particular article, why quote it?

As I said, I'm not talking about the article right now. There is nothing about it in my posts. I've just expressed my opinion in general terms and it is just a "doubt" about objectivity. I also doubt what Erdogan says about the media.

Back in the day Turkey intervened, the Turks on the island were in danger of genocide and Turkey had to do it. If it did not, the Turks on the island would have been wiped out. Northern Cyprus is like Turkish soil today but not all of the Cyprus Turks are happy about all those Turks going there to work since the ones that migrated there are mostly conservative Turks from Anatolia who do not respect their way of life. I guess the Greeks on the island no longer have the intention to wipe out the Turks.

ancalimon said:
Back in the day Turkey intervened, the Turks on the island were in danger of genocide and Turkey had to do it. If it did not, the Turks on the island would have been wiped out. Northern Cyprus is like Turkish soil today but not all of the Cyprus Turks are happy about all those Turks going there to work since the ones that migrated there are mostly conservative Turks from Anatolia who do not respect their way of life. I guess the Greeks on the island no longer have the intention to wipe out the Turks.

So, the Greeks on the island only intended to wipe out all the Turks on the island just long enough for Turkey to do something about it?
Because that's what that post sounds like at a glance, and I do hope you can hear where that takes a turn for the hilarious yourself, Anca.

Cyborg Eastern European said:
ancalimon said:

So, the Greeks on the island only intended to wipe out all the Turks on the island just long enough for Turkey to do something about it?
Because that's what that post sounds like at a glance, and I do hope you can hear where that takes a turn for the hilarious yourself, Anca.

The Greeks on the island were mostly fanatic Christians while the Turks on the island were mostly oblivious of Islam and very secular. The Greeks were rallied by Anti Turkic clergy and they thought Turkey afraid of Europe and America would not intervene. On the contrary Turkey intervened and faced an embargo.

Ancalimon you are talking bull****. There had been 2 intervention against Cyprus, the first was in July and made against fanatic nationalist Greek Cypriot Junta that wants to evaporate Turkish Cypriots and than get in an union with Greece (enosis).
Turks did occupy %3 of the cyprus, than junta did collapsed, constitution did come back and a ceasefire did established. Except Soviets, UK, US and UN approved this operation. After negotiations did turn to a dead end Turkish foreign minister called prime minister and said the code word for second operation.
With the second operation Turks did occupy %40 of the country. Than starts pumping its Kurdish population to the ısland. Now those are the 2 things, called illegal by international community.
For the embargo, it has been made because of Turkish marijuana imports to Europe and US. Hippies were smoking Turkish pot and the American government didn't like that lol.
OH and btw Turkish cypriot community includes the ones who did fought in the war too does not like the immigrants.

Any explanations about the increase in violence against women in Turkey ? Has a law made reporting these things easier ? The influence of erdogan's islamic visions are taking prevalence over kemal's laïc visions ?

Cernunos said:
Any explanations about the increase in violence against women in Turkey ? Has a law made reporting these things easier ? The influence of erdogan's islamic visions are taking prevalence over kemal's laïc visions ?

There are millions of people who try to prevent any violence by educating and running campaigns as what people in other countries do. There are also many laws and parliamentary committees supporting them. And you know what, Erdogan is also one of the people who support these things a lot. He even made an informational video with many celebrities, football players etc. So I don't know why you're trying to generate a discussion on secularism by comparing Erdogan and Ataturk.

Apologies. I should have written Mustapha Kemal, to show proper due respect.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/turkish-prime-minister-erdogan-targets-women-s-rights-a-839568.html

So, from this article alone it seems that it was easier to report such crimes. Fine, I am glad to see that islam/erdogan has nothing to do with this increase.

Cernunos said:
Apologies. I should have written Mustapha Kemal, to show proper due respect.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/turkish-prime-minister-erdogan-targets-women-s-rights-a-839568.html

So, from this article alone it seems that it was easier to report such crimes. Fine, I am glad to see that islam/erdogan has nothing to do with this increase.

All you know is what your media says. I also don't believe the equality between men and women. It doesn't mean that one of them is betterness. There must be justice, not equality...

LpNPvJ.png

dragos said:
Cernunos said:
And you know what, Erdogan is also one of the people who support these things a lot. He even made an informational video with many celebrities, football players etc.
This is just nonsense. Do you really think that, a man who doesn't give a crap about human rights, will care women's right? He only does that because of political profit. He only defends conservative-religious women's rights, he still dictates his bigoted statements like "Women must have at least 3 children." or "Women must prefer being a mother instead of getting a career." Even an idiot guy from AKP said that "Women who malested can give birth to their children, government will take care of the rest." and he was former secretary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom