Goodbye

Users who are viewing this thread

Cirdan said:
Desert and seek political asylum in Canada. If you go as a US soldier to Iraq, don't expect a good luck kiss from me.

Don't worry, I'm sure he'd still save your ass if you were drowning.

Good luck bud, and if land mine starts giving you ****, just walk away, theres no winning a fight with a land mine.

Good luck, don't get yourself killed.

Protip: Don't copy anything from the Rambo movies.

don't fight in a war you don't believe in
whats the punishment fore Deserters!
and how old are you?

and WY the hell are you leaving your family?

What makes you think he doesn't believe in it?  What makes you think he's a man with a family?  And what in god's name makes you think he'd desert?  Once you're signed up, deserting's kind of a *****.  Remember, the US doesn't have conscript armies, nor does it have mandatory terms of service.

Stop being so pessimistic. There is only a tiny chance of that you might even get wounded, and trust me, you will be in a much better situation than the damn Irani Republican Guard who will be swarming you.

At least they get killed quickly if they are defeated instead of being tortured for weeks on interrogation for info they don't know anything about.

[JaGeR] said:
and how old are you?

I do believe in the War for one. Two the punishment for desertion in a time of war is death and I'm 19.
And I'm leaving my family so that when the times comes they can make what ever choices they want.
I joined the army because all through my life and all though out history people just say "someone should do something" then look the other way. I WILL NOT LOOK THE OTHER WAY. I WILL BE THE PERSON TO DO SOMETHING. If you don't like the fact that I have to go then you do something because if enough good people do nothing then evil will always win. I would rather act and be wrong then fail to act and be right.

It's death?  Huh, I didn't know that.
By the way:  I wish I had the means to do what you're able to.  I like to call myself a good, courageous man, but I've never been tested.  In a way, I envy you.

StickFig:
import java.awt.*;

public class StickFig extends PFig
{
  public StickFig(Panel p)
  {
      super(200,  100,  80,  80,  p);
  }

public void move ( int deltaX, int deltaY )
  {
      super.move(deltaX, deltaY);
      if ( x < -width / 2 )
        x = panel.getSize().width - width / 2;
      else if ( (x + width / 2) > panel.getSize().width )
        x = -width / 2;
      if ( y < -height / 2 )
        y = panel.getSize().height - height / 2;
      else if ( (y + height / 2) > panel.getSize().height )
        y = -height / 2;
  }

public void draw()
  {
      Graphics g = panel.getGraphics();
      g.setColor(Color.blue);
      g.drawOval(x + width / 4 , y + 1, width / 2, height / 2);
      g.setColor(Color.red);
      g.drawLine( x + width / 2, y + height / 2 + 1, x + width / 2, y + 3 * height / 4 );
      g.setColor(Color.green);
      g.drawLine( x + width / 4, y + 5 * height / 8 + 1, x + 3 * width / 4, y + 5 * height / 8 + 1);
      g.setColor(Color.blue);
      g.drawLine( x + width / 2, y + 3 * height / 4, x + width / 4, y + 7 * height / 8 );
      g.drawLine( x + width / 2, y + 3 * height / 4, x + 3 * width / 4, y + 7 * height / 8 );
  }

}

PFig:

import java.awt.*;

public abstract class PFig
{
  protected int x, y;          // Current position of the figure
  protected int width, height;  // Drawn or displayed this size
  protected Panel panel;        // Panel the figure lives on

public PFig ( int startX, int startY, int _width, int _height, Panel p )
  {
      x = startX;
      y = startY;
      width = _width;
      height = _height;
      panel = p;
  }

public boolean collidedWith ( PFig p )
  {
      if (  p == null )
        return false;

return ( x + width ) >= p.x && ( p.x + p.width ) >= x &&
            ( y + height ) >= p.y && ( p.y + p.height ) >= y;
  }

public void move ( int deltaX, int deltaY )
  {
      x = x + deltaX;
      y = y + deltaY;
  }

public void move()
  {
  }

// Draw the figure.
  abstract public void draw();

public void hide()
  {
      Color oldColor = g.getColor();
      g.setColor(panel.getBackground() );
      g.fillRect(x, y, width, height);
      g.setColor(oldColor);
  }

}

import java.awt.*;
import javax.imageio.*;
import java.io.*;

public class PicFig extends PFig
{
  private int xVel = 20;
  private int yVel = 20;
  private Image img;

public PicFig(Panel p)
  {
      super(50,  50,  110,  78,  p );
      try
      {
          File file = new File("gof.jpg");
          img = ImageIO.read(file);
      }
      catch ( Exception e )
      {
          System.out.println("Crashing: " + e);
            // Whatever???
      }
  }

public void move()
  {
      if ( xVel < 0 && x <= 0 ||
          xVel > 0 && x + width >= panel.getSize().width )
        xVel = - xVel;
      if ( yVel < 0 && y <= 0 ||
          yVel > 0 && y + height >= panel.getSize().height )
        yVel = - yVel;
      x = x + xVel;
      y = y + yVel;
  }

public void draw()
  {
      if( img != null )
      {
        g.drawImage( img, x, y, width, height, null );
      }
  }

}

0cool said:
[JaGeR] said:
and how old are you?

I do believe in the War for one. Two the punishment for desertion in a time of war is death and I'm 19.
And I'm leaving my family so that when the times comes they can make what ever choices they want.
I joined the army because all through my life and all though out history people just say "someone should do something" then look the other way. I WILL NOT LOOK THE OTHER WAY. I WILL BE THE PERSON TO DO SOMETHING. If you don't like the fact that I have to go then you do something because if enough good people do nothing then evil will always win. I would rather act and be wrong then fail to act and be right.

that's like what most of the "terrorists" you will be fighting would say--"If I blow myself up in that roadblock, and other do the same in other roadblocks, maybe we'll kill enough soldiers and they'll leave my family alone".

EDIT: I forgot that, in all logic, you'll be "arresting" their family shortly thereafter to have them detained and probably tortured.

0cool said:

GO YOU DEFENDER OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE, GO! THE WORLD NEEDS YOU!
But seriously, the army isn't the best place to change the wrold for the better.
Also, why would you rather do something and be wrong rather than be right? Doing something for doing somethings sake is... wrong. Also, being wrong in the army doesn't just have consquences for you, but for the civilians and your fellow soldiers.

that's like what most of the "terrorists" you will be fighting would say--"If I blow myself up in that roadblock, and other do the same in other roadblocks, maybe we'll kill enough soldiers and they'll leave my family alone".

So, how many terrorists have you told you this is their line of thought?

0cool said:

Sadly, I could have predicted that it would come to a conflict of ideals like this. I'd feel bad slagging off a soldier about to leave for war though, so I guess, much to the relief of the forums, Ill keep my opinions to myself this time.

Still, what you were saying is basically regurgitated from a US Marines type recruitment advert. (anyone seen the one with the black dude crying, then he's all proud cos he's a soldier and he's found his "inner strength". It made me wonder why the huge US military budget couldn't spare a little extra cash for a better propaganda campaign.)

Tarrantmw said:

It's pretty much the typical suicide bomber goodbye message (minus the religious wrapping some of them add--but don't get the wrong impression, belief in God is far from being a prerequisite for suicide bombers).

Tarrantmw said:

How many terrorists would commit suicide because they feel a little chilly, and that bomb blast will warm them up just nicely? It's the obvious reason for the kind of terrorism that Cirdan was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom