The Sons of Ragnarr (VÍKINGAR/NA) "A Casual Clan for Casual Players"

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hrotha said:
Are you sure of that? As far as I know it's originally a nickname derived from Old English broc, "badger", which is of Celtic origin (cf. Old Irish brocc, Welsh broch). This word was also borrowed into Old Norse as brokkr. Incidentally, Brokkr is also the name of a dwarf in the Prose Edda, but this latter use is unrelated to broc and Brock. In any case, it's not really a suitable name, although I suppose if he really wants to keep it, Brokkr as a nickname meaning "badger" wouldn't be impossible.

Hmmm, let me see if he'll use that... Thanks for the history lesson, I guess. Lol. Looks like he'll be using Brokkr. Thanks.

Also, I'll be setting up a Steam group tomorrow. So, if you guys could please send me your Steam profile links via PM, I'll appreciate it. Or, you can add me!

DarthTaco said:
I really don't know how any of us could stop poking fun at him for having the nickname Badger.

Damn it, now I feel bad for him... Oh, wait. No I don't! Silly Badger. It begins Brokkr, Lol. It begins... Get the tissues.

DarthTaco said:
Anyways, added you on steam.

Received, accepted, invited to the Steam group!

First post edited with the banner, please use it. Thanks!!!

vikingrbanner.png

Just finished playing for over an hour with Loftr (lokoout). We chatted it up, and had brutally awesome melees! Was very fun. I can't wait for us to truly take off! This is very exciting.

Also, Loftr brought up a point... Our banner, as of now is bland. It's going to be like that for awhile. Most of the new banners are clan banners, we are technically not allowed to use them. However, if you want to suggest a banner we use, go ahead. We'll put it to a vote, and I may even add a poll for it.

Remember guys, no one is the leader here. We're a clan of players, no politics. We all do this together. Everyone will get to lead, everyone will get to die (in a glorious sense). For Ragnar!!!

hrotha said:
Are you sure of that? As far as I know it's originally a nickname derived from Old English broc, "badger", which is of Celtic origin (cf. Old Irish brocc, Welsh broch). This word was also borrowed into Old Norse as brokkr. Incidentally, Brokkr is also the name of a dwarf in the Prose Edda, but this latter use is unrelated to broc and Brock. In any case, it's not really a suitable name, although I suppose if he really wants to keep it, Brokkr as a nickname meaning "badger" wouldn't be impossible.

Damn, boy, you got schooled. :mrgreen:

Hey, I'm a frequent NA vikingr player, and I'd love to join this clan.

My names Finnr Grimoson, but I'll change it to Finnr Ragnarson

I don't know if you're aware of it, but the correct spelling of the name of your father is "Ragnarr".
Oh! And welcome!

PS. If you want me to correct the names, titles etc. don't hesitate to ask!

But maybe he doesnt want to be corrected. Not everyone is keen to be historically accurate in a computer game :grin:

Personally I don't see any reason to prefer wrong names and phrases when someone's offering to correct them for you free of charge, but whatever.

Technically, 'Ragnar' would be fine in English (or basically non-Norse) contexts. The -r of the nominative is quite inconvenient when you're using the genitive in English, for example, but on the other hand no one feels that's a problem with Latin names. Nevertheless, I prefer not to use anglicized forms, unless a particular context makes it preferable.

lokoout said:
I'm still not part of the steam group, could you add me:http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198057501939/

I added you on Steam, and also invited you to the Steam group. However, I did not have my friend request accepted by you, nor do I see you in the Steam group.

Dansk viking said:
I don't know if you're aware of it, but the correct spelling of the name of your father is "Ragnarr".
Baleigr said:
But maybe he doesnt want to be corrected. Not everyone is keen to be historically accurate in a computer game :grin:
Dansk viking said:
I know, that's why I didn't go all language-teacher on him, with red lines and exclamation-marks  :mrgreen:
hrotha said:
Personally I don't see any reason to prefer wrong names and phrases when someone's offering to correct them for you free of charge, but whatever.

Look, I have no problem correcting wrong names, info, etc. I actually welcome it. Is the first name Ragnar to be changed to Ragnarr, as well as the last name from Ragnarsson to Ragnarrsson?

nurgle01099 said:
Hey, I'm a frequent NA vikingr player, and I'd love to join this clan.

My names Finnr Grimoson, but I'll change it to Finnr Ragnarson

Welcome Brother Finnr. According to the name corrections the above quotes suggest, I think our last name is going to be correct Ragnarrsson.

Heh, don't worry, my post was directed to Baleigr (by now we have a long history of disagreeing over this matter :mrgreen:).

Ragnarr is the correct form of the name when used on its own, but the patronymic would be Ragnarsson. Old Norse is an inflected language, which means a word takes different endings depending on the grammatical context. Ragnarr is the base form Ragnar- plus the ending -r, while Ragnarsson is the base form plus the ending -s (think Ragnar's) plus the word son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom