SP Medieval Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A World of Ice and Fire (v8.1 released 7/3/22)

Users who are viewing this thread

produno said:
Later i will enable being able to kill all NPC's in the game, but this will take time to implement and no doubt alot of testing.
You sure that is a good longterm gameplay move?
Will NPC lords be allowed to permanently kill other NPCs too?
This could ultimately result in a very boring game - or, is there "lord regeneration" ie: do new lords spawn to take that spot? Or is that NPC slot permanently "disabled" for that game?

If only the player is able to perma-kill NPC lords that could work, but should be costly in some way - maybe other than just stats. Like, loosing some of your overall troops, eg: 15% of all your troops abandon service.
Thats just an idea, but an unknowing player could really ruin his gameplay quickly if free-kill was in there...just a thought.

For instance go see a Drowned man with some prisoners and you may have the chance to drown a couple for some relations bonus.
Now THATS cool!
More religion interaction, making it play a real role other than relations with other religions.
In AWOIAF religion is a powerful "magical" force, not just one superstition vs another.
(Being able to perma-kill a lord under siege when playing as red priest, which also auto-wins the siege? Yes plz!)

@effemb

The factions in Westeros are pretty much done. They follow a rock, paper, scissors type rule. Some will have crossbows, others will have longbows. Some may predominantly wield polearms whereas others may predominantly wield axes. Ive taken alot of time trying to get this right so hopefully it works as intended.
The Free cities will be the same, if not more varied between the faction troop trees, though i havnt gotten round to doing these yet. ATM most of them use mercs.

So - the 7 kingdoms are basically all the same troop trees?
That doesnt sound very exciting.
Doesnt sound like AWOIAF either.

And in Essos, the troops should be DRASTICALLY different. EG: Dothraki should only have maybe tier1 and 2 "peasant/slaves" as foot troops, and ONLY horse troops beyond that (eg: "once they earn their horse").
Unsullied should be glaive/shield wielders with strong shields, fast/long glaives, and be fast-moving foot troops, but with little chest armor. Solo? they can get mobbed down easy. In formations like they are trained? Unstoppable on the ground without a good mix of tactics and other troop types.

The reason my troop tree is the most popular is not because troops are similar. its because (especially at R6 and R7) they are incredibly powerful. But there is always a way to counter them.
Going to war with Vaeghir? You better bring good pikes to counter their heavy charge cavalry and tanky foot troops from swadia or pike wall formations from rhodok to combat their shock troops which are heavily armored 2H maul bashers.

R6 and R7 are equipped with beautiful sets of armor and really look (and are) elite.

You are proud of the troops youve trained up.

So many M&B mods really dont bring that enjoying gameplay and waste what imo is the biggest enjoyment of M&B - really big diversity in playstyle based on the diversity of the troops.
For example Brytenwalda - while an amazing mod, the troops at top tier are still ugly, mediocre, and canon fodder.

AWOIAF is all about grand armies and epic battles between all these diverse tribes/factions/kingdoms wearing beautiful and culturally diverse armors, wielding exotic weapons and fighting in so many different styles.
If done right, a troop tree that actually matches that would make the mod succeed on its own.

Quick example:
The North: 3 lines - archers, heavy foot troops, medium cavalry.
Heavy foot troops are defined by big 2h swords and medium armor.
-Medium movability, medium armor, high HP, high damage (shock troops).
Archers in the north were said to be some of the best hunters, although not professional military archers.
-High movability, light armor, medium HP, medium damage, long range.
Cavalry in the north was all about adaptability. They werent lance-wielding knights, or heavily armored.
-High movability, 2h and 1h+shield, high HP, medium damage (flankers, chasers, hit-and-run).

Then you have something like Lannister: 3 lines - crossbow/pavise rankwalls, heavily armored sword+shield foottroops, and heavily armored knights.
Crossbows were their mainstay as a professionally trained army.
-Pavise, medium/short range xbows, medium armor, medium HP.
"Foot Knights"
-Heavy armor, medium HP, medium damage, strong shields.
Knights
-Low movability, high charge damage, lances and short 1h+shields, heavy armor, medium HP

And to give a balanced perspective - lets look at Dorne: 3 lines - "dervish" infantry, javelin skirmishers, light cavalry. No archers/xbows.
Dervish infantry are fast moving, shield + glaive + scimitar that can work in rankwall or solo as quick moving nimble fighters.
-High movability, medium HP, medium armor, high damage.
Javelin skirmishers should be strongest throwing troops, there's also a big issue here that javelins and throwing weapons in the native game are retarded because they typically only come with 3-5 ammo.
That makes throwing more or less useless. 25 ammo base for all throwing, +5 for javelins (light throwing spears), +15 for things like darts and stones.
-High movability, medium HP, light armor, should have high damage javelins and then throwing spears (higher dmg/longer range) at top tier, and also have backup throwing darts, has backup desert bucklers + short scimitar for melee and is 75% as good at melee as with thrown.
Cavalry in the deserts was mostly hit-n-run, wearing the enemy out, flanking, chasing down retreaters/archers, harassment.
-High movability, medium armor, medium HP, short spears/shields + backup scimitar, + thrown darts.

If you can picture this - you can imagine how massively different gameplay is between factions. If balanced right, fighting different faction lords becomes an issue of learning how to best use your troops strengths and avoid the weaknesses that your opponent exposes.

Brilliant gameplay.

...and for example: iron islands troops should not have any cavalry. Very good melee skirmishers, and throwing axe troops etc.
The way M&B troops were made in native, dont really give much of a chance to someone that doesnt have a horse. Which of course is why its called "MOUNT and blade", but that also kills the best potential of this game's combat system.

In my troop tree, nords have no cavalry. Rhodok's dont either except for a measly tier5 light-cav (only good for chasing down stragglers - tier7 is top in my tree). But both of them are incredibly strong, and rhodok actually is the best faction at taking out cavalry-based armies. (Rhodok is almost purely heavy pikes + crossbow/pavise troops === a slow moving turtle tank, it plays very defensive)

Then there's khergit, which in my tree only has one foot troop that goes up to tier6 which is a 2h glaive + short-range archer "skirmisher", the rest are all cavalry (both t7 "elite" troop lines).

All in all i had usually 4 lines of troops in each tree.
Sarranids had 5 lines and the most diverse tree of all, with the best spear throwers, and you really had to use all 5 (or at least 4) of those troop lines to do well in battle. To make up for one types weakness and so on.

Troop trees make or break this game IMO.
It all comes down to immersion, and the enjoyment of the combat.
A good troop tree does that more than anything else.
All your other features, quests, religions, etc wont mean anything if this isnt done right.
This is where most mods fail.

(I think ive made my point now) :smile:

Good luck I hope its awesome!

Wow, thats a lot of text :smile:. Ill answer both your questions.

NPC's will not be able to kill other NPC's. Only the player can do this and you will loose enough relations etc to not want to do it too many times. Not all factions will goto war with you like in Brytenwalda, but all Lords will be very weary of you and it will make the game very difficult.
Other npc's also make up the armies of Lords, for instance The Hound and Geoffrey. These npc's i will also make either killable or recruitable.

Troop trees are very different, thats what i meant about a paper rock scissors rule. An example would be the westerlands are the only faction to use crossbows, their wealth also shows throughout their army. The North on the other hand are more likely to use hunting bows and be lighter armoured and less equipped. I wont go too much into detail because its upto the players to find out.

produno said:
Wow, thats a lot of text :smile:. Ill answer both your questions.

NPC's will not be able to kill other NPC's. Only the player can do this and you will loose enough relations etc to not want to do it too many times. Not all factions will goto war with you like in Brytenwalda, but all Lords will be very weary of you and it will make the game very difficult.
Other npc's also make up the armies of Lords, for instance The Hound and Geoffrey. These npc's i will also make either killable or recruitable.

Cool :smile:

Troop trees are very different, thats what i meant about a paper rock scissors rule. An example would be the westerlands are the only faction to use crossbows, their wealth also shows throughout their army. The North on the other hand are more likely to use hunting bows and be lighter armoured and less equipped. I wont go too much into detail because its upto the players to find out.

OK.
Well its still vague enough not to really know what the trees will be like, but I understand you want it that way right now.

My main concern is this:
You said in your previous post "troops work like rock, paper, scissors" - but that is a game design flaw in the troop system.
The traditional way M&B did troops - and the way most mods do troops - is "rock paper scissors", defined by something like: CAV > INFANTRY > SKIRMISHERS/ARCHERS > CAV

This creates a relatively boring gameplay and combat system in M&B. it also fails to realize what M&B is capable of as a game engine.

The diversity of attributes, item stats, and item types lets you make a troop system in M&B that is NOT "rock paper scissors" (R-P-S).
I've been a game dev and also did my masters in compsci on game theory so this is most likely something I know a good deal more about than most. Even most game devs.

So that is my worry.

The goal of a troop tree, to really make it awesome and create an amazing mod, should be one that makes each faction entirely unique; yet each faction should be able to stand up to any other faction in a straight-up battle, when using appropriate formations, tactics, and utilizing their troops strengths.

Quick example: you would typically think that Khergit who have the best horse archers, fastest horses, and very good hit-and-run medium cavalry/chargers, would be basically unstoppable by a foot-bound army.
Yet it is completely possible in M&B engine to make it balanced, where a foot-army like rhodok without any cavalry, or nords without any cavalry, will have a strength that is able to overcome them.

That doesnt mean trees need to be complex.
Quite the opposite. Its good to have variety in troops, but they dont need to have 5 troop lines etc.
In my tree for example nords have only 3 tree lines are only equipped with 2 types of weapons in the entire tree: axes and spears. Which includes throwing axes and throwing spears.
If you cant reach the cavalry, because they are too fast, you utilize your one troop line that is defensive and has shield: the spear/shield infantry who also have low/medium damage throwing spears - and then you make use of your throwing axe troops - protected by your spear/shield wall - to pelt down the cavalry.
Sure - you cant chase straggler cavalry or fleeing cavalry, but you can win battles.
Throwing is not a useless skill in my tree either.
Axes come standard I think with 20 ammo, +5 for lighter axes. Javelins with 25, throwing spears with 20, (+5 to light versions of each respectively). Throwing axes break shields as well, so you are also capable of dealing with horse/shield mounted units like swadian knights (who effectively need to charge you to really do anything, and you have shield/spear troops to take the charge).

At the same time - fighting against nords is an issue of staying the hell out of long melee fights, because they are all strong in melee, and have the toughest melee shock troop heavy infantry in the game: the 2h beserker axe line. Using archers/xbows at range, using shield walls/pikewalls to protect your range units, and using hit-and-run cavalry to flank around their shield/spears will ultimately win you any fight against nords if you are able to do it right.

The concept that there are only 3 types of units in M&B is wrong. There is much more than just infantry, cavalry, and archers.
But not if the troop tree doesnt create them of course.
Which native doesnt, nor do most of the mods.
...and when i say troop tree I of course also mean an entire overhaul of the items - armors, horses, and weapons. I redid every single item and troop in my tree.

I also ran simulation battles hundreds of times to see that it was balanced, and in Floris the AI uses troops appropriately enough to make it happen if they are sorted into correct categories.

Anyway I am super happy to see you working on this - I DL'd and checked it out, its obviously still in early stages, much of the map still fairly empty - and in the end if you make a great mod for AWOIAF then there is always the option for us to make submod troop trees.

I just prefer not to do the work if not necessary :grin:

Well - I will stop wasting your time with long replies, and wish you best of luck. Am looking forward to this.

Religion

Currently in the mod we have four religions.

The Old Gods
The Seven Faced God (The New Gods)
Rh'llor (The Lord of Light)
The Drowned God.

Every Village and Town will be part of a religion, this is determined by the 'majority' in that village or town. The majority is influenced by the Faction that owns that center, which means of course each Faction also belongs to a religion.

Upon game start you will get the chance to choose your religion, though choose carefully as this will directly influence your popularity within the towns and villages which in turn will effect who will be willing to fight for you. What this also means is you can 'convert' towns and villages to your own religion through different means.

Each religion has special characters that you can either find in certain places or travelling around to different locations.  These guys currently provide a way for you to gain reputation and relations bonuses through sacrificial means. If you see a drowned man and have some prisoners you can sacrifice them to the Drowned God for some relations bonus with the Drowned God religion and any factions that currently follow that religion. These NPC's also offer you the chance to convert to a different religion plus many other things. You can also find several parties roaming the map that you can also interact with, or maybe just slay on the battlefield if your that way inclined.

Theirs much more to the religious system in A World of Ice and Fire Modification that i havnt mentioned yet or indeed added (which it will be forever added on). So you can see it plays a very important part within the mod and whatever religion you choose will directly impact your gameplay tactics, decisions and how the world will react to you and of course who will fight with or against you.

This is just one of the many features in the mod that will fully immerse you within the world of ASOIAF. To download the mod please check out our moddb page (look for A World of Ice and Fire).

Please note this writeup is only applicable to version 0.5.0+

I've got some Map Icons to show, *****es love map icons:

Pentos
Z0GAG27.png
Lys
Gv5cZIl.png

I have to say this mod looks awesome already it is hard to keep your party motivated no idea how you guys are doing that and the economy is pretty rough to, but you guys are doing a great job

produno said:
New poll.

If i get enough votes i will take the time to post screenshots of all assets currently in the mod.

Rule of thumb: if you dont have something to show in gameplay, dont waste time with it.

I prefer not seeing anything and hoping that your time is better spent on PRODUCT and not HYPE.

We all know what happens when teams focus on HYPE :smile:

Keep chugging along!

The night watch a faction?
Imho they should defend the wall and nothing else.
A group of citadels with defensive purpose only.
Once defeated their main NPCs should join the North.

Drakken said:
The night watch a faction?
Imho they should defend the wall and nothing else.
A group of citadels with defensive purpose only.
Once defeated their main NPCs should join the North.

Yea I like the sound of that.
If its a minor faction, it wont attack other properties though. So that works.

Shouldnt they join whoever holds the iron throne though if they lose all citadels? Night Watch "works for" the iron throne, not the north.
if that happens they would be a minimal effect anyway, maybe a few armies left, and no property.

you can look at Prophesy of Pendor how it did its knighthood orders - separate mini-factions who are bound to their major-faction, and you can even build your own customized one too.

The nightwatch doesn't work for anyone. They protect the realm and don't care who sits the Iron Throne.

Tybalt_ said:
The nightwatch doesn't work for anyone. They protect the realm and don't care who sits the Iron Throne.

isnt the nights watch supported financially by the iron throne?
"it is the duty of all under the seven kingdoms to pay tithes to those who protect us from beyond the wall".

which are collected by iron throne and sent to the wall.

even if this is as I understand it, you are still right - technically the nights watch works for nobody. ie: takes orders from nobody. they are independant.
so yea - having them join any faction once their citadels are destroyed makes little sense.
the only thing to sort out then is what happens with their lords. if their lords cannot change faction (due to taking the nights oath), they have to be deleted from the game once the faction is destroyed.
plus they must be "disabled" from being able to change factions somehow.

effemb said:
produno said:
New poll.

If i get enough votes i will take the time to post screenshots of all assets currently in the mod.

Rule of thumb: if you dont have something to show in gameplay, dont waste time with it.

I prefer not seeing anything and hoping that your time is better spent on PRODUCT and not HYPE.

We all know what happens when teams focus on HYPE :smile:

Keep chugging along!

Not showing anything = "Is this mod dead?" or "Can you show us what you're doing?" questions which can be quite annoying in time. As a moderator, I take time to showcase things that I know will keep the HYPE going so people stay interested. What good is doing a mod if there is no hype and people aren't interested?: No good.

MitchyMatt said:
Not showing anything = "Is this mod dead?" or "Can you show us what you're doing?" questions which can be quite annoying in time. As a moderator, I take time to showcase things that I know will keep the HYPE going so people stay interested. What good is doing a mod if there is no hype and people aren't interested?: No good.

I hear ya! I think the poll speaks for itself, it seems people like looking at pictures to gauge how much is complete, or if its worth downloading said mod.

After the next update (hopefully next week end) i shall post some screenshots up of items etc ingame.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom