DOWNLOADS: Various tweaks, fixes, and scene updates (Update May 8th, 2013)

Users who are viewing this thread

vidamir

Sergeant at Arms
Brytenwalda is one of my favorite mods, and over time I've made some various fixes, tweaks, and scene changes for my own use that other people might wish to try. If you want to use any of these files, just unrar the package into your Modules/Brytenwalda folder. PLEASE remember to backup your files first, in case you want to remove these changes for whatever reason. Let me know if there are any issues.

EDIT May 8th 2013: Added new tree fixes. Added 2 versions of spear buffs file.
EDIT April 28th 2013: Minimal UI file added
EDIT April 27th 2013: I updated the scene updates file to include some more fixes that were suggested to me. Please redownload if you tried it out earlier.

Tree Updates
This file fixes several problems with Polished Landscapes in the Brytenwalda Graphical Submod. It fixes one tree with textures that have problems in the alpha channel, removes the snowy bushes from the all non-snowy landscapes, and replaces the trees that look like pipe cleaners with proper looking trees. This file includes the tree fix posted further down. If you only want the alpha channel issue fixed and do not want snowy bushes swapped out or the pipe cleaner trees replaced, skip this file and download the one below. This update requires the graphical submod! If you are not using the graphic submod, you don't need this.

Before downloading and installing this, you need to install Hunterwolf's excellent fix here. This corrects other tree problems. Once you have that installed, download this file and let it overwrite his.

Here's what is changed:
These trees which look like pipe cleaners:
EbxZ9qs.jpg

... have been replaced with this tree model (in 3 randomized variations).
UMhrvvJ.jpg

These snowy bushes that appear all over non-snowy landscapes and all random battlegrounds:
jVI2suk.jpg

...have been replaced with dry branches on the ground.
ljYVEV9.jpg

And this tree model:
VepjyfT.jpg

...is fixed.

Download: http://snk.to/f-ctmarf8p

Minimal UI
There was a great minimal UI mod for original warband that I wanted to use, but it did not work with Brytenwalda. So I made my own. If you would prefer to play with a smaller, less decorative UI, this file removes the shield health icon and replaces your health and horse health bars with thin, partially transparent, dark red bars. Before and after pictures:
Before:
n9SwQXF.jpg

After:
prRcV01.jpg

cnetgzY.jpg

Download: http://snk.to/f-ct3ao5ic

Polished landscapes weird tree fix
You do not need this file if you are using the tree update file above! Only use this if you just want the one tree with alpha problems fixed. First, apply Hunterwolf's excellent fix here. This should correct the vast majority of issues with the trees. You may still have one specific tree that looks like this:
VepjyfT.jpg

This will fix that one tree.

Download: http://snk.to/f-cdzjahto

Child face texture update
I love that Brytenwalda has children. Whenever I play other mods, I always look around villages and it feels lacking that everyone is the same age. But the children in this mod are using a man's face texture, and it does look a little odd seeing a kid with a five o'clock shadow. I changed the texture to make them look younger (or at least to make it look like they bothered to shave).

Before and after:
Before:
Yf2oZXF.jpg

After:
0YQOvuU.jpg

Download: http://snk.to/f-chil6m9t

Shield normal map fixes
If you play this game with a shield, you've probably noticed a pattern etched on the surface of your round shields when you look at them in a certain light. This is a problem with the normal maps of all the round shields in the mod — they use the normal from a single shield with that pattern stamped on it, so all the shields end up with that design carved into them. I've updated the normals of all the round shields and some of the pict shields to remove the patterns in them.

Before and after:
Before:
QetR4y9.jpg

After:
9gn4QzL.jpg

Download: http://snk.to/f-ch5sg3mh

Spear buffs
Spears are one of the dominant weapons of this time, but they are sort of unwieldy in Mount and Blade and harder to use than, say, axes or swords. I thought this was unfortunate, because I love to play spear/shield in Brytenwalda, but I feel less effective than when I use other weapons. Oddly, one of the easier ways to use a spear is to put your shield away and swing it 2-handed like a staff, which is silly. To compensate and make spears more of a threat, I've greatly increased their thrust damage and increased their thrusting speed. The differences between light, medium, and heavy spears are more obvious now — light spears are faster and do less damage, heavy spears are slower and do more damage, and medium spears are somewhere in the middle. Named spears now do more damage than spears available in shops. This only affects 1-handed spears — 2-handed spears did not have this issue and were therefor not touched.

I have also created another submod that overhauls spears that includes these updates and also allows for both overhand and underhand attack animations. It is available for download here.

If you use the TML submod, download this file: http://snk.to/f-cd1nekcd
If you do NOT use the TML submod, download this file: http://snk.to/f-ct3wxq03

Scene updates
Brytenwalda is absolutely gorgeous with the graphic submod. There are very few games set in this time period (which happens to be my favorite) and to have the ability to play this mod and run around exploring all the beautiful and authentic-looking scenes is a joy. The towns, villages, and castles — man, those castles are amazing! — are all so beautiful that I never find myself teleporting to the mead hall or the armor seller. Instead, I run through the scene on foot to get where I'm going and it just never gets old.

I've made some changes to about 35 of these scenes over time. With the graphic submod, in some of the scenes there were trees growing out of houses or sprouting right in the middle of the road at the entry point, and some issues with rocks or plants floating above the ground. Most of the scene updates are just simple fixes to correct these issues, although there are a few scenes where I added a lot more vegetation, changed the terrain, or added things to explore.

Many of these scenes are used multiple times and I did not apply the changes to all the identical towns/villages. This way there's a little more variety in the different scenes. In the post below this, I will include before and after shots and descriptions of all the changes I've made so you can decide if you would like to play with my updated scenes.

Quite a few plants were added in some cases, so I would not recommend using these updates if you are already struggling to run any of these scenes. And remember, these scene changes are only for people who play with the graphic submod!

Download the scenes: http://snk.to/f-c7p3ypk7

Scene update screenshots/descriptions
Before and after screens.
In all these examples, the before shot is the one above and the after is the one below.

Dofras
Moved entry point, large increase in vegetation, moving rocks from the road, mountainside redone, floating plants removed, path smoothed.
sHgKA3I.jpg

FbfX0FQ.jpg

LaNlN7y.jpg

IsjKhzU.jpg

33sAPR7.jpg

JgunQ2V.jpg

After pic... no before:
wHzyPij.jpg

Llan/Westerham
Same scene as Dofras, but only the rocks from the road were removed, none of the other changes.

Ciorrincg
Moved entry point, terrain code updated to turn the grass on, terrain changed, ritual mound added, floating plants fixed, large increase in vegetation, rock formations added.
psr6wDK.jpg

Ib4nKLa.jpg

g0H1Tiu.jpg

pZmBvzF.jpg

B2r4OjH.jpg

xIq24pZ.jpg

Mound:
PraMjPs.jpg

Portesmuda
Moved entry point, floating plants fixed, rocks moved from road, trees changed/added.
12JALMl.jpg

CI9Y9hR.jpg

TuP55PL.jpg

q7dKHCE.jpg

9yYssyS.jpg

f612xpm.jpg

Winteringasham/Banesbyrig
Same scene as Portesmuda. Only the rock from the road was removed in these two, none of the other changes were made.

Aewiue
Moved entry point, fixing floating plants and trees growing through houses, adding trees, smoothing road, moving rocks from road. No before pictures, sorry.
n9YsLQD.jpg

PqLihuY.jpg

Bangor is Coed
Moved entry point, added trees and extended path, fixed floating rocks and floating grass.
Floating rocks... these were all fixed. No after pic.
FPwKhOw.jpg

Mai Dun/Inderawuda/Aber Lleu
Same scene as Bangor. In these towns, many of the floating rocks were removed instead of fixed and none of the other changes were made.

Lyme/Niwantun/Tref Ilic/Llan Heledd/Genouhalh
Fixed floating rock in front of entry point. Lyme had its entry point moved slightly.
kJVURsw.jpg

U2qOkot.jpg

Dwfr
Moved entry point, moved trees from road, fixed floating rocks, large increase in vegetation.
jBT59rO.jpg

x0MfSBU.jpg

Bucgan Ora/Eldratune
Moved entry point, moved trees from road.
poRfFn2.jpg

hub7C8V.jpg

uX0RxF2.jpg

54YF7z2.jpg

Essovre/Banhedos
Same scene as Bucgan Ora and Eldratune, but only moved trees from road. Did not move entry point.

Danetun
Moved entry point. Changed terrain code, added grass. Vastly expanded forest.
n6uYxts.jpg

YKJGNLo.jpg

mXW6nae.jpg

uhKdp6V.jpg

Monid Crobh
Forgot to save a before picture. Minor changes... fixed the floating rocks, added a few more plants.
slYfMUo.jpg

Magh Gals
Added rock formations, added grass, large increase in vegetation, cleaned up graves, removed floating plants and rocks, removed snowy bushes.
dGfDdXy.jpg

OZTQPyL.jpg

yyImVX7.jpg

721SKLr.jpg

W0X5Qp7.jpg

Of4O4tw.jpg

al1hKFP.jpg

C66uCaw.jpg

Rock formation:
jsu1IMo.jpg

Cantwaraburh
Minor changes, added vegetation, removed trees from road, added rocks, removed snowy bushes.
After pictures. No before images, sorry.
2kjWsdG.jpg

UGrK4EV.jpg

Wellatun
Changed terrain code, added grass, added water to dried stream.
n6uYxts.jpg

V59RHvv.jpg

Scythles
Moved entry point, vastly increased vegetation, removed trees from road, fixed trees growing through buildings, removed snowy bushes.
oPZdiYQ.jpg

pk0tMt3.jpg

yVIL0Co.jpg

uiyZSYr.jpg

IFGJNay.jpg

XcyZqdn.jpg

OkkHGsZ.jpg

nJhBVKU.jpg

Halh/Beormaingasham/Wlencing
Same scene as Scythles, but only removed trees from road. None of the other changes were made.

Alrwic/Halhfeax
Snowy bushes removed.
I6SdKiF.jpg

czLvKIG.jpg

Beolatun/Tappingtun
Fixed floating rocks, fixed sideways tree.
HZr58xu.jpg

38VisgE.jpg

Dommoc Monastery
Moved trees from road, fixed floating rocks.
Khl0QMS.jpg

3C0UA7g.jpg

Maes Cogwy
Moved entry point, moved trees from road.
5NUawLq.jpg

dQBV9Lk.jpg

Ricestun
Moved entry point, changed type of vegetation, large increase in vegetation, smoothed roads, removed floating plants and rocks, added paths.
VBYdZG6.jpg

lOdlRwz.jpg

4oi7Wi5.jpg

8HKEKxi.jpg

V0lBBg0.jpg

8XcSa2y.jpg

sCl8hhY.jpg

jOocqf4.jpg

Fz4wz0M.jpg

a781suz.jpg

Wow this is great Vidamir!  I am also working on a "submod" of various tweaks and updates.  I am too busy with school at the moment to finish it but I expect to be done sometime in late June.  I hope to add around 50 new weapons and armors and totally overhaul the weapons/armor stats.  I will also include my Companion Expansion pack that has been a work in progress for some time now.  I think I'll add ~30 new companions with detailed backstories and customized starting gear.  Every change I make is geared for total historical realism.  I also increased the 1H spear speeds and damages to good effect.  Now spears occupy their rightful place on the battlefield... 

Thanks for the hard work the updated scenes look great!

DerHerbst said:
Wow this is great Vidamir!  I am also working on a "submod" of various tweaks and updates.  I am too busy with school at the moment to finish it but I expect to be done sometime in late June.  I hope to add around 50 new weapons and armors and totally overhaul the weapons/armor stats.  I will also include my Companion Expansion pack that has been a work in progress for some time now.  I think I'll add ~30 new companions with detailed backstories and customized starting gear.  Every change I make is geared for total historical realism.  I also increased the 1H spear speeds and damages to good effect.  Now spears occupy their rightful place on the battlefield... 

Thanks for the hard work the updated scenes look great!
That sounds awesome! I would love to play with new items and companions with stories — it would give me a reason to start another new character. I am looking forward to this.

krisvk said:
Im definitely using some of this when I next play Brytenwalda, thanks for sharing it.
Happy to hear it!

I've updated the first post with a non TML submod version of the spear buffs and a new file that replaces several tree models in the graphical submod.

Here's what is changed:
These trees which look like pipe cleaners:
EbxZ9qs.jpg

... have been replaced with this tree model (in 3 randomized variations).
UMhrvvJ.jpg

These snowy bushes that appear all over non-snowy landscapes and all random battlegrounds:
jVI2suk.jpg

...have been replaced with dry branches on the ground.
ljYVEV9.jpg

And this tree model:
VepjyfT.jpg

...is fixed.

Thanks for all this, i just saw it and I'm definitely using all them in the new game I will start :grin:

I really appreciate the time you took while doing this and explaining all with detail, it's hard work

@NacroxNicke, Hidole555, MrExpendable

You're welcome! Glad they are of use. And hopefully you will get to play with the graphic submod at some point, MrExpendable. Adorno's scenes are even more outstanding with the updated graphics.

Hi Vidamir,

added your mod to my ongoing LP and also credited you - please keep up your good work

http://www.youtube.com/user/Steelwarrior77

Back
Top Bottom