Moderately Interesting Ethical Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Swadius 2.0 said:
Nature simply says what is there, or what is happening. It does not tell you what one ought to or ought not to do.

Appealing to nature when you are searching for shoulds and shouldn'ts is appealing to nature, and is a fallacy.
That is not what I said.
Our nature does guide our decisions, imo. Searching for shoulds and shouldn'ts is our way to rationalize them.

Swadius 2.0 said:
Of course you need them, even in family groups, there is a set of implicit rules that people have to live by.

On top of this, why don't you think civilization is natural? Aren't you just arbitrarily cutting off nature where man begins?
Again putting words in my mouth. I don't even understand where you got that from.
As to implicit rules and laws - those are different. Laws appeared where implicit rules failed.

Weaver said:
Our nature does guide our decisions, imo.

Aren't all you just saying that we decide how we decide? How can someone do something beyond their nature anyway? You're just spouting tautologies.

Searching for shoulds and shouldn'ts is our way to rationalize them.

Why does our nature guide some of us to genocide? And how would you justify toleration and understanding of other people over it? Surely, our nature would not make it an equal good compared to just letting people live.

Swadius 2.0 said:
Aren't all you just saying that we decide how we decide? How can someone do something beyond their nature anyway? You're just spouting tautologies.
I'm not. Because that's not what i said. For some reason you prefer to ignore the points that people try to make, draw conclusions from their words completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand and pretend it was actually what they meant to say.
Are we having a discussion here or are you trying to "win"?
Swadius 2.0 said:
Why does our nature guide some of us to genocide? And how would you justify toleration and understanding of other people over it? Surely, our nature would not make it an equal good compared to just letting people live.
I was tempted to start answering that question, but then realized that it was a trap.
Let me then bounce it back at you first, why do you think people commit genocide?

Weaver said:
Swadius 2.0 said:
I'm not. Because that's not what i said. For some reason you prefer to ignore the points that people try to make, draw conclusions from their words completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand and pretend it was actually what they meant to say.

You have to understand that when someone is challenging your positions that they will extend them sometimes in an effort to either produce a contradiction, or to carry the argument, with its premises and conclusions to a point where the holder would not be comfortable in holding it. On top of this, while it may be on large part the fault of the reader in misunderstanding a piece of writing, the relationship is reciprocal. When someone doesn't understand of misunderstands what is being said, the onus is also on the communicator as well. I am genuinely trying to understand what you're writing and its implications, and I am trying to employ the principle of charity while I do so.

In any case, the following statement is a tautology.

"Our nature does guide our decisions, imo."

"Our nature" is synonymous with whatever we're doing at all times. It is impossible for someone to act outside the boundaries of one's nature unless they're possessed by ghosts. You might as well say "our nature is the stuff we do, and we're guided by the stuff we do." The third party of nature or our natural beginnings seems to be completely irrelevant.

Aside from this, how are you so sure that just because we came from natural beginnings, that our motives are subservient to nature? Why not for example, have an argument that's the other way around if there is a causal relationship between nature and our motives? Why not let it be the case, that due to nature and human motivation being the same thing, that nature be the ***** here?

Are we having a discussion here or are you trying to "win"?[/quote]

I am trying to have a discussion, but you seem more interested on commenting on my behaviour than making yourself more clear.

Swadius 2.0 said:
I was tempted to start answering that question, but then realized that it was a trap.
Let me then bounce it back at you first, why do you think people commit genocide?
[/quote]

Quite simply erroneous reasoning- "All gypsies are thieves and murderers, therefore it is entirely justified that we kill them all before they get the chance to steal and murder."

If our actions in altruism are based on herd behaviour, so too must our predilection towards cruelty and absentminded barbarity. With the premise that our actions are simply instinctual, how would you differentiate between the two? Does one have more value than another? Since nature is involved in both shouldn't they both be given equal standing, especially in light of the "revelation" that all our morals are simply instinctual?

Swadius 2.0 said:
When someone doesn't understand of misunderstands what is being said, the onus is also on the communicator as well.
Fair enough. You have to bear with my english, I realize my phrasing is at times awkward and I can confuse terms.
Swadius 2.0 said:
In any case, the following statement is a tautology.

"Our nature does guide our decisions, imo."
Well, yes. If you tear it out of context, it is just a redundant sentence.
What I actually wanted to tell you in that passage is that maybe our motivational base is still the same as it were before our brain evolved and we started to look for reasons to our thoughts and actions.
Because we can see similar behavioristic patterns (both cooperative and competitive) in other mammals, who are yet incapable of abstract thinking and know nothing about morals.
Swadius 2.0 said:
Aside from this, how are you so sure that just because we came from natural beginnings, that our motives are subservient to nature? Why not for example, have an argument that's the other way around if there is a causal relationship between nature and our motives? Why not let it be the case, that due to nature and human motivation being the same thing, that nature be the ***** here?
As mentioned earlier, if we were to look at other animals, we'd see that many act in similar patterns. Which brings me to a conclusion that morals were not something that shaped our mentality, but were rather derived from it.
Swadius 2.0 said:
Quite simply erroneous reasoning- "All gypsies are thieves and murderers, therefore it is entirely justified that we kill them all before they get the chance to steal and murder."
Well, that's a valid theory i guess.
Although I myself believe that racism is a completely irrational thing. There is no real logical explanation of purely skin colour based enmity. Which might mean that it is an atavism from earlier times, before people mastered abstract thinking and realized that we are the same species. Might explain why most racists are either quite dim or insane.
Swadius 2.0 said:
If our actions in altruism are based on herd behaviour, so too must our predilection towards cruelty and absentminded barbarity. With the premise that our actions are simply instinctual, how would you differentiate between the two?
What do you mean?
Swadius 2.0 said:
Does one have more value than another? Since nature is involved in both shouldn't they both be given equal standing, especially in light of the "revelation" that all our morals are simply instinctual?
First of all, I don't think that being cruel is the opposite of being altruistic here.
Level of altruism means how willing a creature is to make personal sacrifices for the benefit of his species. And it is not really based on morals, rather on purely biological factors. For example, males are more disposable than females so they are more altruistic. A pregnant woman is probably the less altruistic creature in the world, but it doesn't mean she is immoral.
As for cruelty, it is an unrelated thing. Cruelty is absolutely pointless and probably even harmful for our species' wellbeing. That is probably why it is deemed "immoral" too.

Human behavior is shaped by environmental (i.e. social environment) as well as genetic factors. Pointing at biological factors alone is an insufficient explanation.

You are right, Mage. I thought "biologic factors" would encompass genetics, habitat and other "material" factors unlike morals, conscience, etc. But I guess i fumbled with terms again.
Still i hope i managed to be clearer this time.

Morals and conscience, at least in terms of particular moral beliefs, are largely created by socialization, which is itself a complex structure that involves things that are purely man-made and are not the direct result of biologic factors - nor even habitat or material factors.

Weaver said:
Well, yes. If you tear it out of context, it is just a redundant sentence.
What I actually wanted to tell you in that passage is that maybe our motivational base is still the same as it were before our brain evolved and we started to look for reasons to our thoughts and actions.
Because we can see similar behavioristic patterns (both cooperative and competitive) in other mammals, who are yet incapable of abstract thinking and know nothing about morals.

I think this is inadequate in explaining most of the reasoning and decision making we humans do. A lot of the stuff we discuss in politics and in ethics with one another usually doesn't reference any of the behaviouristic patterns associated with some animals.

Some groups in the US want to ride matinees for instance and is appealing to their constitutional rights as allowing them to do so for example. This is clearly not in the realm of, well, anything but humans.

Swadius 2.0 said:
As mentioned earlier, if we were to look at other animals, we'd see that many act in similar patterns. Which brings me to a conclusion that morals were not something that shaped our mentality, but were rather derived from it.

I don't think you can conclude that from your argument. All you can conclude from that is that while we are biological agents and mammals and can be traced back to other types of mammals who sometimes exhibit the same behaviour, there is likely a continuity between our thinking processes and those behaviours from our pre-homosapien era.
Whether this actually has anything to do with ethics or morals requires a lot more steps in between the continuity of our biology from the past, to our ethics and morals. Picking just this one area of our civilization and linking it to the behaviours given to some mammals would be a leap of logic without the steps between the two demonstrating it.

Swadius 2.0 said:
Well, that's a valid theory i guess.
Although I myself believe that racism is a completely irrational thing. There is no real logical explanation of purely skin colour based enmity. Which might mean that it is an atavism from earlier times, before people mastered abstract thinking and realized that we are the same species. Might explain why most racists are either quite dim or insane.

It is a valid argument, though not a sound one. Because it is valid, its logical structure is valid. It's just that it's a hasty generalization that does not take into account the real life examples where there are (many) exceptions to this argument. In short, its logical foundations fail to take that into account, it is not sound.
One of the dangers of vilifying people who think these things, or commit horrible acts, and of thinking that humans can only do so if they are insane or irrational is to shut the door on the possibility that we too might be capable of such a thing, or might be doing it right now. We might overlook the possibility that in our absentmindedness brutality ensues, or that our reasoning on any given subject would not falter like theirs because we do not think we are irrational.

People who can plan and carry out government backed plans of unjustified discrimination are not irrational people. They are perhaps not thinking all that critically, or are genuinely considering the criticisms poised against their views. It must be said that realizing and accepting that one is holding an erroneous view is not a zero-sum emotional event.
On the other hand, these people might not have any sort of ill will against these people, but are just on autopilot. It's like some soldiers being told to go into a village and are then given ambiguous orders on who to arrest and who are enemy combatants. Someone of them might opt not to think about what they are doing and just follow their orders and lead to a tragedy.

If we work on the premise that nature is the backdrop of our moral motives, we have to take into account that aside from all these seemingly nice things that some animals do, there is a lot of grief that they commit unto each other. The sick and the dying for example, are often killed or cannibalized even if letting them live wouldn't cost any of the members very much. Many species hate each other based solely on these racial lines.

Swadius 2.0 said:
If our actions in altruism are based on herd behaviour, so too must our predilection towards cruelty and absentminded barbarity. With the premise that our actions are simply instinctual, how would you differentiate between the two?
What do you mean?
Swadius 2.0 said:
Does one have more value than another? Since nature is involved in both shouldn't they both be given equal standing, especially in light of the "revelation" that all our morals are simply instinctual?
First of all, I don't think that being cruel is the opposite of being altruistic here.
Level of altruism means how willing a creature is to make personal sacrifices for the benefit of his species. And it is not really based on morals, rather on purely biological factors. For example, males are more disposable than females so they are more altruistic. A pregnant woman is probably the less altruistic creature in the world, but it doesn't mean she is immoral.
As for cruelty, it is an unrelated thing. Cruelty is absolutely pointless and probably even harmful for our species' wellbeing. That is probably why it is deemed "immoral" too.

Well yes, there can be a biological basis for altruism, but there is also a biological basis for boundless cruelty. Why do we give one precedent over another: To be kind, and be forgiving, when we could be cruel and nasty? We can feel good about being kind and altruistic, and being downright nasty human beings. I'm in a bad mood, making other people feel bad would make me feel better, and the after effects are such that I don't really feel bad about them either. I must not be the only one, being cruel to other people is something I see in a lot of people, most often times they do so without thinking.
If people being altruistic can be based in our biological thinking patterns, and be given value because of this, why not for the cruelty instilled parts that are also based in our biological patterns? Why does reason only pick one of them as being anywhere near defensible?

Swadius 2.0 said:
Some groups in the US want to ride matinees for instance and is appealing to their constitutional rights as allowing them to do so for example. This is clearly not in the realm of, well, anything but humans.
What about the baby monkey riding on a pig? He'd quite possibly have a manatee ride if he got the chance... oh matinees.

Swadius 2.0 said:
I think this is inadequate in explaining most of the reasoning and decision making we humans do. A lot of the stuff we discuss in politics and in ethics with one another usually doesn't reference any of the behaviouristic patterns associated with some animals.
Well, other animals don't do politics. It's difficult to draw parallels here.
But we're talking about motifs, not activities. I never considered myself an apologist of behaviouralism, but I guess it fits into the premise of the argument. :smile:
Swadius 2.0 said:
I don't think you can conclude that from your argument. All you can conclude from that is that while we are biological agents and mammals and can be traced back to other types of mammals who sometimes exhibit the same behaviour, there is likely a continuity between our thinking processes and those behaviours from our pre-homosapien era.
Whether this actually has anything to do with ethics or morals requires a lot more steps in between the continuity of our biology from the past, to our ethics and morals. Picking just this one area of our civilization and linking it to the behaviours given to some mammals would be a leap of logic without the steps between the two demonstrating it.
I actually didn't notice any more steps there.
Dictionary definition of being moral goes as following: "Conforming to a standard of right behavior."
One could argue that right behaviour is not just an abstract convention, but a kind of behaviouristic model that comes from hundreds of thousands years of biological and social evolution.
Swadius 2.0 said:
It is a valid argument, though not a sound one. Because it is valid, its logical structure is valid. It's just that it's a hasty generalization that does not take into account the real life examples where there are (many) exceptions to this argument. In short, its logical foundations fail to take that into account, it is not sound.
One of the dangers of vilifying people who think these things, or commit horrible acts, and of thinking that humans can only do so if they are insane or irrational is to shut the door on the possibility that we too might be capable of such a thing, or might be doing it right now. We might overlook the possibility that in our absentmindedness brutality ensues, or that our reasoning on any given subject would not falter like theirs because we do not think we are irrational.

People who can plan and carry out government backed plans of unjustified discrimination are not irrational people.
I never meant to say people themselves were irrational.
Racism is.
And I believe that most of us in fact have certain illogical idiosyncrasies. But only dim or malicious people try to resolve their psychological problems by deliberately harming other people, don't you agree?
Swadius 2.0 said:
If we work on the premise that nature is the backdrop of our moral motives, we have to take into account that aside from all these seemingly nice things that some animals do, there is a lot of grief that they commit unto each other. The sick and the dying for example, are often killed or cannibalized even if letting them live wouldn't cost any of the members very much. Many species hate each other based solely on these racial lines.
Animals are not so individualistic as humans. Weaker die not because of mindless cruelty, but because evolution demands only the best genes to carry over to the next generation. Species compete, but I wouldn't call this hatred either.
Humans possess free will, which means they are capable of deliberately making mistakes (and here I mean deliberately going against the natural evolutionary flow).
Otherwise I agree with your statement and don't see how it is a counter-argument
Swadius 2.0 said:
Well yes, there can be a biological basis for altruism, but there is also a biological basis for boundless cruelty. Why do we give one precedent over another: To be kind, and be forgiving, when we could be cruel and nasty?
I think that's easy and I already mentioned the answer.
Cooperation, compassion and agreeableness are indispensable in building an effective society. These are traits that help us evolve as the species.
Justified violence, competition - those are also needed.
But cruelty is useless or even detrimental from evolutionary point of view.

pentagathus said:
Swadius 2.0 said:
What about the baby monkey riding on a pig? He'd quite possibly have a manatee ride if he got the chance... oh matinees.

Well ok, bad example.

How about this one?

"You know, human beings are the only animal in all of nature that sometimes shoves other animals up their ass." Kurt Metzger
Animal rights activists will claim animal cruelty, and perhaps not unreasonably so, but there will always be those that will then try to justify it through very abstract, and not uncommonly insane codes of their country.

Weaver said:
Well, other animals don't do politics. It's difficult to draw parallels here.
But we're talking about motifs, not activities. I never considered myself an apologist of behaviouralism, but I guess it fits into the premise of the argument. :smile:

What would you consider a motif?

Swadius 2.0 said:
I actually didn't notice any more steps there.
Dictionary definition of being moral goes as following: "Conforming to a standard of right behavior."
One could argue that right behaviour is not just an abstract convention, but a kind of behaviouristic model that comes from hundreds of thousands years of biological and social evolution.

The behaviour the dictionary term uses and the behaviour you are using are not one in the same. Moral behaviour need not be the same behaviour you are talking about that is the left over of our genetic and species heritage. To equate them both would be commit the fallacy of equivocation.

You need an argument that progressively goes step by step from species heritage to ethics. You have not brought up a very convincing case other than to simply say that some behaviour is seen in other species, and therefore similar behaviour seen in human species must be done under those same mechanism in those species, never mind that motivations for doing stuff between species isn't exactly homogeneous either.

I never meant to say people themselves were irrational.
Racism is.
And I believe that most of us in fact have certain illogical idiosyncrasies. But only dim or malicious people try to resolve their psychological problems by deliberately harming other people, don't you agree?

Well look, if someone believes in something you think is irrational, I find it a bit hard how you can justify to yourself that these people are not irrational. To be irrational is to believe in irrational beliefs.

And yes, if you term moral issues as psychological problems, you are going to find yourself having to use force and coercion as a conflict mechanism. Not only dim or malicious people, but all people. Feeling bad and uncomfortable when having held positions challenged is ubiquitous, a person's intelligence or apparent moral standing makes no comment on how they would deal with this feeling.

Animals are not so individualistic as humans.

Are you making stuff up here? I didn't call you out on the claim that humans aren't meant to survive by themselves, and that all humans are meant to be social animals. But this is getting a little ridiculous. There ARE animals that are that individualistic, MANY animals are, and then there are humans that are not very individualistic. On top of this how you measure this empirically and not just by gut feeling is beyond me. It's no secret that some animals frequently live by themselves, and depend only on themselves for vast periods of time except when it's time to mate. It's also no secret that for some humans, they would likely suffer a great deal when put in that isolated position, either from their dependency on others physically or mentally.

Weaker die not because of mindless cruelty, but because evolution demands only the best genes to carry over to the next generation. Species compete, but I wouldn't call this hatred either.
Humans possess free will, which means they are capable of deliberately making mistakes (and here I mean deliberately going against the natural evolutionary flow).
Otherwise I agree with your statement and don't see how it is a counter-argument

On one hand you say that altruism and our present moral issues are the left overs of evolution and species heritage, and then you turn around and say that the cruelty and barbarity that animals sometimes do to each other is entirely outside of this mechanism which you have set up for all animals?
Evolutionary mechanics and cruelty for cruelty's sake are not mutually exclusive. Especially when you bring up evolutionary processes have brought about our civilization and the moral issues in it.
If you are willing to say that when animals kill and torture each other along with the same members of their own species, why not say this too for humans? Government programs of killing of the weak, the stupid, the congenitally disabled, and mentally retarded are just processes of furthering evolution. It would be essentially weeding out the weak and simply "competition" as you put it.

Also, on more questionable claims that you've made. Have you not ever seen animals make mistakes, or when presented with two options, take a while to consider which ones they want to take? It's not very hard, dogs do this all the time, some are incredibly indecisive. You cannot say that they have no free will on any basis of evidence since you can't peer into the minds of people and look in there either.

Swadius 2.0 said:
Well yes, there can be a biological basis for altruism, but there is also a biological basis for boundless cruelty. Why do we give one precedent over another: To be kind, and be forgiving, when we could be cruel and nasty?
I think that's easy and I already mentioned the answer.
Cooperation, compassion and agreeableness are indispensable in building an effective society. These are traits that help us evolve as the species.
Justified violence, competition - those are also needed.
But cruelty is useless or even detrimental from evolutionary point of view.

Keep in mind, we are talking about altruism, and morality. Cooperation, agreeableness while nice is neutral. Someone can very cooperative, and very agreeable, but does all the paper work necessarily and is logistically indispensable when it comes to the country's eugenics, or genocide program.

More on that, before I begin I need to note that you are changing the subject a bit. My first reply to you was against your claim that as with other altruistic forces in nature, so too do these altruistic forces have an impact on humans. I counter then that there are also cruel forces in nature, ones that lack compassion, or altruism so these too must be attributed to us.

You can reply back to me by bringing up evolutionary advantage, but you have to understand this would be another line of argument.

It's like this, the first argument has in its premises that because there is x in other species, this x is also in humanity as well, as per a mechanism where x is a common trait to all species, therefore it is common in this species. On this I bring up the challenge that there are also these other sorts of "x"es in nature, IE, cruelty lack of compassion etc. and so it should be too in humanity as well. Using only half the puzzle and attributing morality entirely to that half part would be an error of induction.

Back on topic as per the usefulness of traits like cruelty and general badness, there are many effective societies and civilizations that don't practice altruism, or compassion, or does a lot of bad and still flourish.
On the smaller scales, the mafia, triads, and mobs are generally very well off as are their offspring. Sometimes some members get sent to prison, but a mob that does what a mob does best will do very well for themselves. Deceitfulness, ruthlessness, and absolving all compassion except for their families sometimes- due to all the horrible stuff they do to the people around them- are their trademarks of success.
On the larger scale, civilizations like Rome, the Mongols, present day China, Imperialist and absolutist 16-19th century European powers, vikings, the Zulu. The lack of compassion, unabashed declaration of self-interest and self-interest only, or lack of altruism did not affect their everyday functioning, in fact it is these specific traits that let them attain the great breadth of power that they had in human history. Conquering your neighbors, taking them as slaves, stealing everything of value, and then annexing their territory and everyelse you can't carry away is not only a very profitable enterprise, it is also one that will increase the likelihood that a group or civilization survives in the future due to it subduing its potential enemies and increasing its own power.

Gah. Man, I really don't want to write up another explanation post because all it seems to do is generate another wall of text in response.
Clearly this discussion is not going anywhere. I made my point as well as I could, now I'm pulling out.
Peace.

PoisonCourtesan said:
rebelsquirrell said:
Who's a moral nihilist?

This_guy.jpg
You are not a moral nihilist. For you to lack morals you would have never stated gang rape is wrong.
You probably are somewhat along the beliefs of Nietzsche, that every man should develop his own moral code and not adopt another's.

From the Pissed thread.
Well that's not exactly right, moral as I'm using it referrers to a belief that one factually ought to do good.

Moral as you are using it refers to preferences.

Basically I maintain moral language is truth apt, meaning it is either true or false that I ought do x.

I also maintain that desires are the only reasons for action, meaning all acts are motivated by desires

Please don't confuse that for me saying that one must desire to perform any particular act in order to did it. Rather I mean to say that one can do things that they do not desire to do as long as they do it to satisfy another desire. 

For example I may have a desire not to steal bread but I will do so anyway to fulfill my desire not to have starving children in my house.

Another critical belief I hold is that ought implies can.

You would not say it is wrong of me not to go back in time and kill Hitler for I have no ability to do so.

Since desires are the only reasons for action this means that I can only act in a way that attempts to fulfill my present desires. 

Since ought implies can and the only thing I can do is attempt to satisfy my own desires that means I ought to satisfy my own desires.

Lastly I maintain that satisfied preferences are the only good in the world ( not happiness, as one can sacrifce there happiness for other desires.)

Morality claims that it is factual that I ought do good in the same way that 2+2=4 is factual.
Since satisfied desires are the only good  that means that I ought satisfy the most desires for the most people.

However it cannot be said universally and unequivocally and unconditionally that people ought to satisfy the most desires for they can only satisfy desires that they have.

Thus it is a false to claim that one ought to do good/most good.

If I ought to do good it is because there is a desire that I have that will be fulfilled by it. 

Thus I am a moral nihilist for I maintain that moral claims are not universally and unequivocally and unconditionally true at all times and thus not moral claims at all.

I haven't read the entire thread, but your question is addressed in this video, which I'm sure you've seen me post before.

"Actualizing circumstances we desire" is not all about perception from others or personal gain. To pull from the discussion Lueii and I had way back when, an unquestioningly selfless act like jumping on a grenade to save your friends is still informed by this.

Edit: Oh my word, this was last year. I've already participated in this thread. :lol:

Luckily there is no need to read the entire thread, this discussion is largely separate. :razz:

Edit: I don't understand your objection, is it metaethical?

I thought that I would move this interesting and productive discussion to a more appropriate thread.

Ambalon said:
What I was saying is that you made a **** analogy and should feel bad for thinking that considering evolution a matter of opinion is the same as believing morality is a matter of opinion. That's what I meant. Unless, of course, you argue that there is something that determines some things are good and some things are evil, and if you deviate from that you are objectively wrong.

I'd like to think that my position is more nuanced - as I've said, I think the morality of an action is a matter of degree, such that we can compare and contrast the moral weight of different actions in relation to one another. To say that actions are either right or wrong suggests a fallacy of false dichotomy, but to say that some actions are more right than others does not.

Regardless, yes, I think that humans are capable of determining whether actions are right or wrong to the extent that they are capable of practicing rational decision making through the processes of induction and deduction.

Ambalon said:
Then, of course, I'd assume you think this morality-settler is (a) god, to which I have no answer and wouldn't want to argue with you.

What an entirely baseless assumption to make. Where have I ever argued that morality comes from a deity? How could I make that argument when I don’t believe in one myself? As I've said on multiple occasions, I maintain that the ability to set and define ethical systems of human behavior rests solely in the hands of humans themselves.

Ambalon said:
Better for what? This is what I mean.

Any number of criteria could be applied to determine that Ted Bundy's morality is worse than Gandhi's. Although, the exact criteria are open to subjective determination for any given individual, that doesn't mean that we can't make objective decisions based on those criteria. But more importantly, I believe that the process of determining applicable moral criteria can also be the result of a rational (and ideally, deliberative, but that’s another argument) decision making process. Hopefully I will be able to explain why I believe this is the case in this post.

Ambalon said:
Your point being? That we can compare different moral systems is obvious, but there's no objective parameter other then those you set.

Yes, as I've said this on multiple occasions, I think we are more than capable of setting objective parameters for ethical behavior. But more to your concern, I firmly believe that our ability to set objective parameters is not entirely subjective. These parameters can also be (and often are) the result of a rational decision making process.

Ambalon said:
I don't think I'm actually being clear here but what I mean is that, sure, you can say for instance, that system A is better than system B because, employed, it results, for instance, in the optimal amount of happiness over the group. Great, if that's what you're aiming for. That's what I mean. You can't have a objectively better moral system because all the parameters you'll use are always relative no something else. Again, I'm not sure I was clear, so I'll rephrase it once again and already direct to your next quote: For instance, if a man in country A (therefore with culture A, history A, customs A, etc.) has sex with an unconscious person, he won't be considered evil or wrong or whichever negative quality you want to assign him because of this act. Now say that, in country B (with culture B, history B, customs B, etc.) another man find himself in this same situation and also has sex with an unconscious person. In this place, however, the public opinion would consider him evil would find him wrong and would object to his behavior and would assign him negative qualities.

No, you are being perfectly clear. I just disagree with you. :razz:

As an aside, I would generally agree that an optimal amount of happiness (well-being seems to be the more modern term) is a good criteria to use if we want to evaluate the rightness or wrongness of action. But, I believe that my predilection for this criteria is more than a function of my own subjective experience. Rather, I think that this criteria is fitting because it was obtained through a process of observation and logic (the details of which are better explained by far better philosophers than I could ever hope to be :razz:).

Ambalon said:
Is one place right or one place wrong?

Yes, in the scenario that you have laid out, I would argue that A is wrong (or perhaps more accurately, more wrong) and B is right (or more right), barring some circumstances that I am unaware of.

Ambalon said:
Why is one place right and one place wrong?

There could be a number of reasons that might explain why they are right or wrong. Notably, I think that the definition of right and wrong is closely tied to the concept of rationality, so I would like to elaborate on this point. I’m a positivist, so I believe that all authoritative truths (scientific, moral, or otherwise) ultimately stem from a combination of observation and logic. Thus, I believe that humans must be capable of making rational choices (i.e. choices based on or in accordance with reason or logic). This capability allows us to pursue goals and formulate plans and actions based on these goals.

Notably, am presuming that both groups are attempting to pursue a course of ethical action in the scenario that you have provided (i.e. ethics is a goal in this scenario). Obviously, if one group was not attempting to pursue a course of ethical action their reasoning would be amoral (but not necessarily irrational). And, if they were attempting to pursue a course of unethical action, their reasoning would be immoral (but not necessarily irrational). However, it seems clear that both groups think they are operating ethically.

To the extent that I would determine the beliefs of each group to be right or wrong is the extent that I would call these beliefs to be rational or irrational. Notably, the beliefs of Group A might be irrational (and therefore, unethical) for a number of reasons. Perhaps Group A they believes that a person is pursuing an ethical course of action, but they are making this assumption based on illogical inferences, false information, or untenable assumptions (i.e. men don’t have ethical obligations to women because women are borne of sin)?

Ambalon said:
Do the people in A or B believe themselves to be wrong?

Not if they believe that their actions are ethical, no.

Ambalon said:
You can't objectively answer this question like you could, for instance, say that the people in A are wrong for believing, for instance, that it is the Sun and all the other astral bodies that orbit around the Earth.

Sure I could. A belief that the sun orbits around the earth is based on illogical inferences, false information and / or untenable assumptions. Similarly, I think that people A are making their ethical choices based on illogical inferences, false information and / or untenable assumptions.

This is why I think that the metaphor for evolution is perfectly appropriate. The only difference is that evolution would exist without humans, whereas ethics exists solely as the result of human reasoning. But, this is not logically problematic when ethics is concerned with the description and prescription of human behavior.

Ambalon said:
No, we can't judge objectively because every single analysis will have subjective interference.

The fact that any given moral analysis is vulnerable to subjective inference does not mean that an objective and rational procedure cannot also occur. If you or I or any human looks at a certain species of flower, we might be able to objectively say that the flower is yellow. But, we also know (objectively, thanks to our shared understanding of biological science!) that a bee sees a very differently colored flower than we do. Does this mean that our objective inference about the flower is wrong? No, because our objective inferences are grounded in a human perspective. All observations are subjectively observed, but this does not mean that these observations cannot also be objective.

Ambalon said:
They might not give the slightest of ****s for the parameters you're measuring their moral system by. Should they give a ****? You think they should, clearly. I think they should, too.

This is important. On what grounds do you think that they should give a ****? Is this solely a result of your subjective experience? Or, are you able to critically evaluate their actions in a given context and culture and recognize that some actions are better than others?

I maintain that the second option is perfectly feasible. And, it is this sort of reasoned process that I believe will lead us to a better system of ethical decision making.

Ambalon said:
That confirms we're right and they're wrong, right? No.

Of course the answer to this is no. The simple fact that we (and most reasonable individuals) would agree on something does not make it correct (although again, I generally think that a process of careful deliberation is the best way of solving questions of ethics). But, the fact that we are presumably making our decision based on accurate observations and solid reasoning (and, that they are making their decision based on inaccurate observations and illogical reasoning) would confirm this.

Ambalon said:
They shouldn't do anything they don't wan't to. No one, nothing should do anything.

Why shouldn't individuals have to do things they don't want to? That's just your subjective opinion, man.  :razz:

In all seriousness, I would generally agree with this principal based on my understanding of what it feels like to do something that I don't want to do. This understanding is informed by subjective experience, but it is also formed by an objective and rational (if tautological) understanding of what it means for an individual to "not want something."

And, I am interested in how you came to this specific conclusion. I suspect that you would agree that the process of induction and deduction is possible. If it wasn't, we would have no grounds for making any arguments ever.  :razz:

But, would you argue that induction and deduction is not possible concerning questions of morality? This seems like special pleading to me.

Ambalon said:
Reality doesn't give a **** for "shoulds" and "what ifs".

In the sense that some hypothetically-anthropomorphic universe doesn't care about human ethics, yes. I would agree. But the empirical fact is that ethics is an important feature of human reality, both in terms of how we describe our behavior and how we prescribe future action. So, I would say that the reality of our situation is that "shoulds" and "what ifs" are (have been, and always will be) an incredibly important question for the human race.

Ambalon said:
I can't make this any more obvious to you. If you try to give me any other example, I'll already excuse you of being arsed to write a response: pretend your talking to a child who always asks "why" at your answers. If you can, after asking "why" after every moral analysis and justification, arrive at any answer to which asking "why" makes no sense or one that doesn't end with anything along the lines of "Because God said so", "because I said so", "because Ms. Johnson said so" or "because that's how it is" then please do tell me, because I don't think you can answer this. And that's because there is no answer that doesn't involve opinion.

Hopefully I have been able to avoid justifying my response by making an unreasonable appeal to my own (or any higher power's) authority. Ultimately, my argument rests on the assumption that objective and rational thought based on observation and logical reasoning is not only possible, but the most reliable and accurate way of obtaining the truth. Again, there are scholars far more capable than I who would be better equipped to defend positivism as a philosophy, but I suppose if that discussion were to occur, this would be the place to have it.  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom