The Military

Users who are viewing this thread

romandude

Grandmaster Knight
Is anyone here currently serving in the military, or aspires to join it? Tell us your story.

I personally want to become a submariner. A stressful job, but a very cool one to say the least.

Mandatory military service, whole of 2009. Hated most everything about it then, but now I often catch myself thinking of my time there as good times. Weird.

Basically waiting, smoking, waiting, smoking, carrying heavy stuff around, smoking, smoking, waiting. Shooting blanks. Smoking. Waiting.

Good to see it's everyone that follows the doctrine of hurry up and wait.

Nahkuri said:
Shooting blanks.
I don't remember firing more than a few clips of blanks. In fact I think my gun fired more blanks with the trigger strapped to a remote controlled target in the woods than from my will.
The first two months were the best, with simple jobs and many firing range days. Then I got transferred to the SLUK barracks and it was all downhill for the next seven months.

First two months were ****ing ****. Though I started my service in January. We also had an NCO that would make any stereotypical hollywood Nazi proud. Except she was a short, mean white trash ***** who was pretty much only good at shouting, but useless at anything else. She also got preggers.

My platoon had very high morale through the recruit period and nobody seemed to have bad things to say about each other.
Then I got transferred and I got along with the people I didn't like by collectively hating on another squad member nobody liked. That in addition to some bull**** ways the service for medics is structured, it wasn't too fun.

A lot of waiting and hurrying up. Very warm. They gave us a lot more responsibility than they do at home, and the jobs made a lot more sense. Being away from family and friends was hard though, of course. Good money, but not if you compare it to the hours put in.

Starting mandatory soon. Not sure how to feel about it, as some hate it and others love it. Guess I'll see.

Still waiting to be accepted.

2 of my friends are done with their training, and they've both made their demands roughly a year after mine, ****ing ****ity ****.

Nahkuri said:
Mandatory military service, whole of 2009. Hated most everything about it then, but now I often catch myself thinking of them as good times. Weird.

Basically waiting, smoking, waiting, smoking, carrying heavy stuff around, smoking, smoking, waiting. Shooting blanks. Smoking. Waiting.

That.

Also the first and the last place where I'll ever get to fire a cannon, a machinegun and an assault rifle.

Radalan said:
Also the first and the last place where I'll ever get to fire a cannon, a machinegun and an assault rifle.

:?:

Ramboing with a PKM was awesome.

Amagic said:
Starting mandatory soon. Not sure how to feel about it, as some hate it and others love it. Guess I'll see.

Open mind is a necessity. As is a sense of humour and not taking most anything dead serious. Keeping your expectations low is also a healthy habit for some. Also, be prepared for having to get along and work with the sort of people who you'd avoid at all costs otherwise.

Nahkuri said:
Radalan said:

:?:

Ramboing with a PKM was awesome.
heavyr.jpg

Got called to army for this year, but postponing it one year for school. Got dual citizenship partly for this and partly because I'm more Finnish than anything else.
Nahkuri said:
First two months were ****ing ****. Though I started my service in January. We also had an NCO that would make any stereotypical hollywood Nazi proud. Except she was a short, mean white trash ***** who was pretty much only good at shouting, but useless at anything else. She also got preggers.
That sounds like a certain forumite we all love. :razz:

Well, I've been trying to get in for a while as a helicopter repairer but I fell into a pit of red tape when I first went through processing and I've been stuck in it for a while.

However, my wife decided that she too wanted to do an active service term, so now we're putting my enlistment on the backburner as she is older. I may enlist while she is still active if we can arrange to be stationed at the same base (apparently this is more feasible now than it ever has been, in the Army at least, the other branches are too small to accommodate) or I may just go active once her contract is up.

I was denied the mandatory service because of what I filled in the information papers (also by my own wish). If I had to join I would probably apply to be a tanker, but I have no special feelings for the Norwegian or NATO army at all.

Untitled. said:
Got called to army for this year, but postponing it one year for school. Got dual citizenship partly for this and partly because I'm more Finnish than anything else.
Nahkuri said:
That sounds like a certain forumite we all love. :razz:

When it comes to height and gender, at least.

Back
Top Bottom