Voice Chat for us :) (Ventrilo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Instag0

Sergeant Knight at Arms
ATTN: Admins of the non-English language boards!

If you would like to post this information on your board (as a sticky, perhaps) please just let me know. I will make you a channel with the title being the name of the language in the respective language's language :smile:. Please also, if possible, provide me with the phonetic for the pronunciation of the name that's compatible with ventrilo. If you do this, please make sure they're aware that not all people may speak their respective language, so communication may be difficult. Furthermore, there may be latency problems. Thank you.

Ich weiss eine bisschen Deustch, aber ich bin nicht so gut mit es. Ich kann es auch sprechen. Wann ich deustche sprecher treffen, ich werde "Hallo!" sagen. Vielleicht werden wir eine bisschen auch unterhalten :grin:.

VENT USAGE INFORMATION

Instago from the Tinnu Uin Galahdhrim forums said:
It is my pleasure to allow you all into my server. Finally, maybe I'll have a bit more company :wink:.

Here are some instructions:

1. Click here and download and install the compatible Ventrilo version for your computer.

2. Start up Ventrilo. Click the arrow (looks like  -> ) right of the "User Name" box at the top of the window. Enter your preferred use name. Now, you may enter a phonetic name for this user name, and can test how it sounds by clicking "Play."

3. Now, click the arrow right of the word "Server." Click new, and enter the server name I have listed below. Hit "Okay," and then enter the rest of the information listed here:

Name: Instago's Private Server
IP: 64.235.229.202
Port: 3330
PW: enteralpha

4. Select your user name and my server name using the drop-down menu. Now, you may try connecting, or you may want to follow the next steps to configure your program to your liking.

5. Click "Setup." Take a look around. Under the main tab that you most likely will be doing anything with, Voice, you will see a number of things that you may click on and play with. For example, you can set a hotkey for your microphone, similar to pressing "z" in Lord of the Rings: Online. To do this, make sure the box "Use Push-to-Talk Hotkey" is checked. Then, simply move your mouse cursor over the box right of the word "Hotkey" that's aligned on the left hand side, in the middle of the Ventrilo window. Now that you've done this, chances are you'll want to test to see if things are configured properly.

6. Towards the bottom left of the window, you should see a button with the word "Test" on it. Click this button, and you are in a sort of test mode. After you've clicked the button, press and hold your hotkey that you configured before, and speak. If the hotkey doesn't work, make sure things are configured properly. If you sound too soft,  exit test mode by clicking the "Test" button again. Now, move the slider at the lower right hand side of the screen labeled "Outbound" in the Amplifiers section. Re-test your microphone. This will increase two things:

1) What YOU hear after and only after you have pressed the "Test" button.
2) What OTHERS hear when you're talking on the server.

Furthermore, when you are chatting on the server, and are having trouble hearing people, you may increase the "Inbound" volume. Moving this slider to the right increases the volume that you hear when others speak. As a note, people will likely you that you are too soft or too loud. If this is the case, simply go into "Setup" and increase your "Outbound" volume. Continue to tweak like this until the person has said that you are at a decent volume. Expect yourself and others to be fiddling with the "Inbound" and "Outbound" volume levels at first. As time goes on, we should all find a good place for these sliders.

Well, the above should basically cover everything one needs to know. If anything is missing or doesn't make sense, please let me know and I'll do my best to change things. Good luck and happy chatting!

ORIGINAL POST BELOW

I have a Ventrilo server that people may use, though it is small and located in California, USA (West Coast, North America), so please just stick to having only members of the forum use it. I am willing to allow people here to use it for whatever- general chat ala IRC, for random discussion, and for general communication purposes! Games, sex, whatever- use it, but don't abuse it by being a jackass, and that is the rule, pretty much. Don't be a jackass, and keep in mind I am the one paying for this, so in the end, what I say goes, but I plan to be a benevolent ruler :wink:. I don't suspect many people will even use this, but if it becomes popular, I'll give others admin powers.

There's also a chat channel on the server, for those that don't have mics, that's similar to IRC, and even has text-to-voice **** to play with (or be annoyed by). Of course, the IRC channel should probably be used by those without mics, the text-chat server that Ventrilo offers is basically for those that have mics that aren't functiong right for some reason.

Vent Info:

Name: Instago's Private Server
IP: 64.235.229.202
Port: 3330
PW: enteralpha

Here's some helpful volume normalization information:

Thrux from the World of Warcraft forums said:
Vent Normalization makes every bodies voice the exact same volume. In essence, you won't blow your ear's out or have difficulty hearing people.

Here's how:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

Q u o t e:
    Edit:

What the settings do - Copied and pasted from page 8

Gain
    How much volume you feed into the compressor. Not really relevant unless everyone is too quiet, then you can turn this up a little; turning it up too much will sound EXTREMELY *%*%ty.

Attack
    How fast volume change will happen. example: setting this to 500 means that any-
    thing coming in will only be dropped in volume after a half a second. for vent this should
    be set as low as possible.

Release
    how fast the compressor stops changing things. not really that relevant with vent, setting it around 500 is good for voice material.

Threshold
    This sets the point where we actually start changing what�s coming in. Whereas 0 is the absolute loudest you can have for an input, -60 is super quiet. Average users will probably come in somewhere around -25 to -15, with the occaisional few being really quiet, which is why I have this set so low.

Ratio
    How much any sound below the set threshold gets compressed and/or modified in the volume department.
    If you still want to hear SOME volume variation then set this lower (2-4)... the higher you set it the closer in volume everyone will be.

Pre delay
    Mostly just deals with processing; with computer and digital processors they can look ahead a few milliseconds to see what needs to be dropped in volume or changed before it actually comes through the speakers. Highest is ideal.

Copy+Pasted from http://www.prawnage.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=21342

[ Post edited by Thrux ]

Oh, wow. I didn't realize this had been stickied! Thanks to whoever did that :wink:.

I must admit, however, that I feel a bit dirty as I was molested a bit by said Admin :shock:. Though in this case the ends most definitely justified the means!

The main post has been updated a bit. The most important thing is "ATTN: Admins of the non-English language boards!" part.

By the way, as more people use the server, I may upgrade the capacity. At the moment, 10 is serving us quite well, as the most I've seen on is 4.

I highly suggest just hanging out if you're up for chatting with others. As far as I know, Ventrilo eats up barely any resources in terms of it being a program, but if you leave it on, you may potentially meet other cool people :wink:.

Vilhjalmr said:
Well I'm a goddamn Yank, so hey. Besides, the accents are half the fun. :smile:

I agree. The more diversity, the merrier!

There have been a fair amount of us Yanks on the server, but those of you that live over the pond or over international lines of boundary, don't be shy! Feel free to join us, we'd love to have yah here :wink:.

Back
Top Bottom