INDIAN Wars! Debate about American Natives

Users who are viewing this thread

Rolf11

Regular
GABRILDURO said:
PS...I know, Natives are not protected and rewarded as they should, even in Canada.
But they had a better living and were more respected than in the other Countries!  :cool:
I guess they had not the same regard in USA because of their bellicosity...
Don't forget that the colonists had always troubles with natives (except for Thanksgiving Day). And more, many tribes were collaborating with the redcoats during the Independence War; they plundered many american villages, killing people.
I don't know about Canada but, in my opinion, in USA they had their fault in regards...
I agree with it, we have to live respecting Mother Earth and the nature. We ruined our world. But I don't think natives were the angels that everyone describe.
You know..."Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's".

That's just my opinion. :wink:

I find this subject very interesting and I think it deserves its own Topic.
(Hehehe...U know me and my caring for Indians and minorities in general )

What do U think?  :wink:
So I splitted it to a New Topic and I will post my opinon asap (just got home! )
Gab

Learning more on Indian Wars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCURAGME4gY

Great Idea for a topic, alot to touch on here!

In regards to the Native aborigines in Canada, those people for the most part had made earlier contact with the explorers from Europe even before parts of the now day United States were even settled. Trade was established and customs developed. There are also some big differences between the two native groups from both countries. For the most part Canadian Natives were not very nomadic and took to settle in an urbanized type fashion, while for the most part Native Americans in the U.S. were nomadic, and changed location based on the wild game they were hunting, or seasonal influences. They also came into contact with the colonists and explorers at a much later time.

Part of the reason in why U.S. Natives seem to have been treated worse was the way in which they were used as leverage and pawns to fit the strategic and leveraged needs of the many European nations that sought to carve up the new world. This did not bid well for the Natives who were constantly deceived, and pitted against many of their old territorial enemy tribes, as welll as old allies. The history of the entangling of alliances that is famous in European history was brought upon these people.

A big part of the downfall of the Native Americans was the rapid development of their people to the sudden change and culture shock they received from the foreign settlers and their new technology.  In a sense their tribal culture was bombarded into assimilation until it was hard to distinguish them from their new neighbors. This is unfair, but  "curiosity killed the cat" applies to this event. Once the population of the colonists continue to grow and grow, the Native American culture and peoples were all but eradicated from the New World. People forget that the inhabitants of the USA today from the past were all displaced Europeans, who all had their image of the Native Americans. Said to be inferior due to their primitive lifestyle, and they definitely did not forget the many tribes who may have sided with an enemy country, be it England, or France and others.

Back
Top Bottom