Mobo

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyTime

Grandmaster Knight
Hello again.

Currently I have an Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard and it's alright, if you ignore the fact that it utterly refuses to work with any memory frequencies over 1300MHz and I had to downclock my 1600 in order to be able to run my ****ing PC. Considering I spent 400e for this mobo in combination with an i5 2500k which is fine by the way, I'm rather furious. Though this was a few years ago.
I heard it's possible to get it working but it's a **** job and I really can't be arsed to, unless someone of you has a solution.

I'd like to know what motherboard you recommend, it shouldn't be too pricey 200e being the top'ish. It should support my i5 processor.

Your motherboard supports up to 2200MHz DDR3. Look in the BIOS settings, in my ASUS motherboard I have the manually increase the RAM's clock rate if I wanted to run higher than 1333MHz.

It indeed claims to support that, and it does, there are settings in bios that lets you do that. It's on automated by default anyway.
It's an error on the damn board itself, whenever I have a frequencies over 1300MHz I have significant problems starting up my PC and it always reverts back to some unstable value of 1300 that doesn't work for jack ****, I can run fine for an hour and then **** hits the fan and all kinds of stuff happen.

I updated my BIOS, changed nothing to the better. My mobo drivers are the latest ones the Asus ****site offers me and just by googling I can find people with the same issue with the same ****ty motherboard. Problem is that there's a million different solutions and a few of them that I bothered to try didn't work. Other idiots just said it's possible but it's a heck of a job.

If you're truly interested in trying to help me (I've asked about this before here without much luck) I can revert back to using these values and take it on video and notes to better explain it, it's been months since I last used 1600MHz.

Otherwise I'd just rather drop this ****e and get a proper one.

If it is on manual settings and is still downclocking try changing the voltages on the ram, you may have that to low. Find out what voltages your ram is suppose to run at for 1666mhz, most likely 1.5 or 1.75 depending on the manufacturer.

If I recall correctly the problem was with these voltages. Anything over 1300MHz would increase the voltage past a certain limit, 1,5 if I'm not mistaken and thus it wouldn't work.

I'm about to depart to bed just now, got some tests tomorrow.
I'll look into it.

Disable any automatic voltage adjustments and set it to 1.5v, increasing by .05 each time it is unstable until it works.

Also check on the RAM sticks themselves to see what kind of settings they want.

Anything over 1,5v is unstable. I'm starting to remember how this **** actually works. My RAM sticks ought to run at 1,65v at 1600MHz.
I'll take a quick peek into my BIOS to see what kind of settings it offers me, reporting back soon.

Oh, and I also have two of these. http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3_4G.pdf

E: Alright, I couldn't get the print screen function of my UEFI to work so I had to take them with my phone, but it shouldn't be too shabby. Some of the values look pretty ****ed to me, considering whenever I load the absolute defaults I get boot failures and it reverts back to these.

wp000007s.jpg
wp000008l.jpg
wp000009km.jpg
wp000010m.jpg

Now, I noticed that the voltages shift between 1.500 and 1.503 but I assume there is no real difference in that. I'll get a video showing what the heck happens when I reset the values to the defaults.

wp000011pt.jpg

I'm currently uploading a video where I accepted the changes, default settings that is, and the boot failure and reverting back to the same ol' **** that I got in the screenshots above. Video quality is **** but enough can be seen. Nevermind, looks like it offers even 720p, meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_kp55QXkA&feature=youtu.be Here the default settings

And here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBqLT4rY6k&feature=youtu.be with old **** but this time with 1600MHz. It works fine for an hour or two, but I start getting problems pretty quickly, especially when playing games. My computer just completely freezes or crashes and boot failures. GG.

Yeah, now about the DRAM voltage controls. It tells how to increase and decrease but the buttons don't do anything, **** marks appear on the text box with the value in it and nothing happens,

Those are some weird RAM MHz measurements there. Did you modify any of the processor clocks in the motherboard? I think if you change one of the values, it also forces the RAM to run faster which may be causing the problem. It shouldn't be anywhere above or below 1600MHz. In that second video, your CPU target speed is some non-standard 4.3GHz.

What kind of processor do you have? Look up the default clock, voltage, bus speed, and multiplier and force those settings. You should, then, get standard 1333, 1600, 1866, etc measurements instead of the ones that are slightly higher.

I've got an i5 2500k 3.3GHz. It runs at 3.3, or at least pretty close to it, that's just some weird turbo ****.

I haven't really changed anything, it won't let me revert to the defaults either as can be seen from the video. Actually anything I've ever changed is the memory frequency, tried the voltages once I read about them but I couldn't change it for some reason.

If its that easy Im going to laugh. I was planning to update my ram before all this started happening. Though it would be silly if they werent compatible. Im on my phone now so cant check properly either.

E: well looks like I need a new processor. **** this, its even worse than a new mobo. What would you suggest considering my mobo? I planned on picking up some proper RAM too so rather no too strict restrictions.

Here's some possibly valid information:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110922151228AApyH6l

You can run it but there is a catch. These Core ix-2000 series processors can only handle the 1333mhz speed. You can go higher but that goes to waste. The secret is simple, run the RAM at 1333mhz but lower the CL timings. If you buy DDR3-1600 RAM at CL8 you should be able to run it at 1333mhz CL7. This is not considered downclocking since you lowered the Cas Latency.

Just run at 1333 with an decreased CL (CAS Latency).

I've never messed with CL values, but from what the internet says it should work fine.

Kevlar said:
What the **** are you talking about :eek:

More stuff:
Based on the behavior and the system configuration we can expect some issues using this memory since it is designed at 1600Mhz. This Processor requires memory designed at 1066 or 1333Mhz and 1.5 volts. Check the memory specifications at:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-%286M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz%29

Working out of these specifications will force the memory controller to downgrade the speed to 1333Mhz. This will be causing a discrepancy between the memory and the Processor that will affect the system performance and also may damage the Processor.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/28725

I changed the CL to 8. I hope this works about as well as it would with 1600MHz.
This is retarded, the i series and whatnot processors are ****ing expensive and you can't even use propler RAM with them? Retarded.

Also system hasn't melted yet, going to test it tomorrow when playing.

That's it. A lot of people I know are AMD fanboys, **** Intel.

Thank you, you've been of great help to me, even though the day has been utter ****, I'm still happy to know what's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom