Killing animals?

Users who are viewing this thread

13 Spider Bloody Chain

Grandmaster Knight
Ok, so you've got a cute, fluffy rabbit down your sights. Just one pull from the trigger and the thing's dead.

Is it right? Is it wrong? When is it right? When is it wrong? Are "right" and "wrong" even relevant in this subject? Is killing animals for sport murder? What about for food? Is it murder to kill an animal for whatever reason?

Murder is a strange word.
Seems to only apply to killing
humans, in standard usage (ah
speciesists that we are).

Seems that killing for mere sport
is a bit perverse though.

Tankai said:
Nature gave us the capacity to kill for various reasons and I dont think sport is one of them.

Indeed not. I understand overpopulation killing, but killing out of well...boredom is wrong in my opinion.

Heh heh, sorry about that.  :wink:

Basically in my opinion, taking life of anything is not right. The way you put it, "cute little bunny rabbit" isn't accurate at all. It's not the aesthetic cuteness that's wrong about killing it. Killing a human is bad because it's final, that's it, no more life for them, ever. It's just the same for animals. That's the only thing they had and you took it away.
Why? For fun? Even for meat is ridiculous, it's not necessary to hunt for your own food anymore seeing as how a trip down the street you can buy meat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not vegetarian, I love eating meat, it's natural. But why bother killing more animals when you could just buy some food for much less hassle? That means that you don't really hunt for food, you hunt for the thrill of killing your own food. It's not like if you hunted it you'd starve.

Freebird said:
Tankai said:
Nature gave us the capacity to kill for various reasons and I dont think sport is one of them.

Indeed not. I understand overpopulation killing, but killing out of well...boredom is wrong in my opinion.

natural balance, for example is a good reason to kill animals.

Redcoat - Mic said:

Basically in my opinion, taking life of anything is not right. The way you put it, "cute little bunny rabbit" isn't accurate at all. It's not the aesthetic cuteness that's wrong about killing it. Killing a human is bad because it's final, that's it, no more life for them, ever. It's just the same for animals. That's the only thing they had and you took it away.
Why? For fun? Even for meat is ridiculous, it's not necessary to hunt for your own food anymore seeing as how a trip down the street you can buy meat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not vegetarian, I love eating meat, it's natural. But why bother killing more animals when you could just buy some food for much less hassle? That means that you don't really hunt for food, you hunt for the thrill of killing your own food. It's not like if you hunted it you'd starve.

Well, my uncle hunts and fishes so he can save some money. He does everything he needs to the body himself and eats it.
Is that a good reason? Considering he doesn't make a lot of money.

Tankai said:
Freebird said:
Tankai said:

natural balance, for example is a good reason to kill animals.

You don't see us killing off humans for natural balance though do you  :wink:
Well, maybe China..

Redcoat - Mic said:

dude, killing in a sloughterhouse or hunting has basicaly the same efect, as long as they are not protected species - Natural balance

Freebird said:
Redcoat - Mic said:

Well, my uncle hunts and fishes so he can save some money. He does everything he needs to the body himself and eats it.
Is that a good reason? Considering he doesn't make a lot of money.

Doesn't really cut it for me, I don't really know the cost of ammo, but surely just buying some chicken for what, £2 is much easier than buying a gun, ammunition constantly, the fishing tackle, renting a boat etc etc.

Tankai said:
Redcoat - Mic said:

dude killing in a sloughterhouse our hunting has basicaly the same efect, as long as they are not protected species - Natural balance

I'm not saying they are different, I'm just saying there's no need to hunt as an animal has already been killed for you, waste in another words.

Redcoat - Mic said:
Why? For fun? Even for meat is ridiculous, it's not necessary to hunt for your own food anymore seeing as how a trip down the street you can buy meat.

And you somehow think that the torture that
commercial farming inflicts on animals is better than
a swift bullet? No, I see much more wrong with
taking this easy solution, than with killing your
own food. At least you have the guts to face
the full consequence of your action, when you
kill it yourself.

Just wish I had the morals to follow my convictions
here.

calandale said:
Redcoat - Mic said:
Why? For fun? Even for meat is ridiculous, it's not necessary to hunt for your own food anymore seeing as how a trip down the street you can buy meat.

And you somehow think that the torture that
commercial farming inflicts on animals is better than
a swift bullet? No, I see much more wrong with
taking this easy solution, than with killing your
own food. At least you have the guts to face
the full consequence of your action, when you
kill it yourself.

Just wish I had the morals to follow my convictions
here.

No no, I see people have misunderstood me on this one. I'm not saying it's better for the animals at all. Either way they end up dead. But there's no need for hunting anymore, it's all been done for you. Killing something for food is just an unnecessary death if you've already got some perfectly good corpse-in-plastic already prepared for you.
It's like getting the same present twice, one of them you won't use. Waste.

Hunting must be inherently bad, since the lives that animals of the wild are SO much worse than the lives of animals raised on intensive farms!

:neutral:

At least wild animals are running around free, free to do what they like, free to move around mostly unrestrained. Intensively farmed animals? Not so. Pigs farmed in such a fashion not only produce  much lower quality meat (as almost any meat connoisseur will tell you), but tend to chew off the tails and ears of nearby pigs due to, presumably, stress (hence why pigs' tails are often chopped off at birth).

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
Ok, so you've got a cute, fluffy rabbit down your sights. Just one pull from the trigger and the thing's dead.

Is it right? Is it wrong? When is it right? When is it wrong? Are "right" and "wrong" even relevant in this subject? Is killing animals for sport murder? What about for food? Is it murder to kill an animal for whatever reason?
What I wrote earlier:
Killing feeling creatures?

In my opinion it's only accepted if you need to for your own survival.

Pest control? Vermin? Start killing humans, they seem to be the animal that destroy
the most everywhere. We aren't masters of this planet.  

Of course, people have a higher awareness, but as a intelligent species(in general intelligent race)
it doesn't make us less animals.
When an animal kills an other animal for sport it's on a different level, a human in my opinion should have
more compassion than for example a cat playing with a mouse.

People that call themselves "modern civilized" should understand that killing for sport, thrill and excitement
is a downright barbaric act.

In a perfect world, there would be no need for any weapons or killing, but the world is far from it.
For thinking, aware and capable of feeling compassion humans.

This is the first time I write anything about this topic so know that this based only from my experience.
And I'm by no mean an activist in any way or area.
I've got more to write but I leave that for tomorrow, I'm quite tired right now. Sorry if anything wasn't coherent.
(03:26 AM here)

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
Hunting must be inherently bad, since the lives that animals of the wild are SO much worse than the lives of animals raised on intensive farms!

:neutral:

At least wild animals are running around free, free to do what they like, free to move around mostly unrestrained. Intensively farmed animals? Not so. Pigs farmed in such a fashion not only produce  much lower quality meat (as almost any meat connoisseur will tell you), but tend to chew off the tails and ears of nearby pigs due to, presumably, stress (hence why pigs' tails are often chopped off at birth).

No, that's because they are extremely territorial and violent. And also, they spread very fast in the wilds if you dont have a good predator specie to keep their population under control.

Back
Top Bottom