Users who are viewing this thread

This or That

This is a game. First your previous poster made
two options for you. You will have to choose. Then you may write
two new options for the next poster.

Start: 
Napoleon or Wellington​

Napoleon.
Though he was such an egomaniac and he spent most of his life being a jerk [remember those troops abandoned in Egypt!], I consider him one of the best Generals of all frickin' time. I'll -try to- quote Henry Houssaye, a French historian:

"impressionable, indecisive, without discipline and without confidence in their leaders, prone to sudden panic attacks, although aggressive spirit animated, ... capable of heroic efforts, ... impetuous and impatient in the fight ... Never before had Napoleon led an instrument of war formidable and yet so fragile"​

He was talented; that's just what comes into my mind when I think about his major victories. So talented, he knew exactly what to do when his Officers and Cavalry informed him about the enemy's maneuvers prompt and timely.

Damn, Ninja'd by Kendo.

I'll use the options he's gven me instead: Riflemen.
When the enemy's got riflemen and you don't, you know you're screwed. I always liked their tactics; they wouldn't form a line, but use natural cover instead to pick off enemies from a far distance. That's why they're the wrost nighmare of Officers. I dare say they were completely independent from the Infantry, and maybe from the entire Army itself - up to certain point.

Light Infantry or Light Cavalry?​

Sorry for the damn :oops:

My turn, my turn!

King
You know.. though being an Emperor would be cool, as one would have infinite power over everything within the Empire, I'd rather be just a King. That way I' pay more attention to my subjects, and I'd know what to improve and where, instead of being annoyed by a bunch of noblemen telling me there's famine/disease/whatever in the other side of my Empire - part which I might have never visited before.

Mercenary or Regular Soldier​

Regular Soldiers

One can't thrust mercenaries. They only fight for money, not for honour and don't know duty.

Large unstable Empire (e.g. Russia) or Small stable kingdom (e.g. Hesse-Kassel)

More land you got, more fees, citizens and territories you got, it doesnt matter that much about the lands are unstable.
Large but Unstable empire, i say.

Light cavalry or Heavy Cavalry?

Sabre

Anyone can learn how to shoot from a distance and kill a thousand men, but it takes guts to kill a man when you're looking him into his eyes. Quint and I are Grenadiers, apparently :razz:

To be a 18-25 years old male citizen living in the Revolutionary France or a 30-something year old veteran member of the Old Guard?

Lengua Muerta said:
Austrian Infantry
Grenzers!
Most Grenzers actually should be under the 'Hungarian' part of the Austrian foot. I believe.

Also:
Quintillius said:
One can't thrust mercenaries. They only fight for money, not for honour and don't know duty.
The most trustworthy and loyal soldiers of Europe were Swiss mercenaires; One could always depend on them, under any circumstances, untill the death.

Skip me!

Captured Joe said:
Lengua Muerta said:
Austrian Infantry
Grenzers!
Most Grenzers actually should be under the 'Hungarian' part of the Austrian foot. I believe.
Really? I had always thought they were part of the Austrian Infantry.

Captured Joe said:
Also:
Quintillius said:
The most trustworthy and loyal soldiers of Europe were Swiss mercenaires; One could always depend on them, under any circumstances, untill the death.
No money, no Swiss.

Skip me too!

Lucky to get an Officer's Comission  :lol:
I rather like to play as an officer than a soldier.

// Spambot Captured Joe disabled.
// Spambot Lengua Muerta disabled.

No money, no Swiss.
Shh.

All right, except the Swiss Mercenaries. The Swiss Guard of the Pope proves this.

Skip Lengua Muerta or Captured Joe?

Skip Lengua Muerta
Sergeants, though not as much as regular soldiers, are an expendable resource for every nation. Master Knights, on the other hand, are one of the most valuable soldiers an army can have in battle.

Bearskin or Shako?

Difficult.
Constitutional Monarchy

Reenactment or Movie?
Forget it; I'm going to spice up this game a bit:

You're a well known General and you have successfully led your men from victory after victory in the last months, using only what had been given to you when you began the military campaign: few military supplies and a bunch of soldiers and officers, all of them eager to reach glory. Now they're tough veterans, feared by the enemy.

In your last battle you decided to launch an Artillery barrage at the beginning of the battle, and it worked pretty well after a couple of hours. And when your men were breaking off the enemy's lines, capturing their standards and flags, you were given bad news from one of your Artillery officers: there were few cannonballs left - so few, you know you wouldn't be able to use your Artillery batteries effectively in your next battle or siege. Soon thereafter, more bad news are given to you: your supply line had been interrupted by an enemy army - which is much larger than yours.

But you still don't give up hope, because there is an enemy town not too far from where you are. The town, which is not properly defended, has a huge arsenal and, if you capture it, you could resupply your army's ammunition. But the reward wouldn't come without its costs: you know that if you head towards the town and besiege it, the larger enemy army that interrupted your supply line would  catch up and attack from behind while your men breach the walls.

You need to make a choice:
a) Head back and face the larger enemy army on an open field:
You could use your Artillery batteries very little while the enemy could use theirs with full power, threatening your soldiers. But your men are experienced veterans and could give you the victory if you lead them wisely.

b) Head to the town, besiege and take it:
As it is poorly defended, if you can capture the town you'll be able to use the arsenal's weapons and ammunition against the larger enemy army. But if the siege takes too long, the large enemy army could attack from behind and then you'd have to defend from two fronts.

"What are your orders, sir?"​

Back
Top Bottom