The Clothes Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

kurczak said:
Depends on the occasion, I guess. Wearing a three piece suit daily at the age of 18 would come across as "overprivileged spoiled brat". To me that is. It should be for someone who can financially sustain his own existence and has his own place. But if you already meet that criteria at that age, then by all means, go ahead.

...Who wears a suit every day if not for work?  :???:

pentagathus said:
Or are you a greasy long haired adolescent who listens to metal just cos its cool?
No offence meant, its just what I usually think when I hear/read black longcoat.
More like growing up, not so long haired teen who listens to metal despite the constant rap & anti-metal environment

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
kurczak said:
Depends on the occasion, I guess. Wearing a three piece suit daily at the age of 18 would come across as "overprivileged spoiled brat". To me that is. It should be for someone who can financially sustain his own existence and has his own place. But if you already meet that criteria at that age, then by all means, go ahead.

Politicians stay in hospital wearing a suit as far as our prime minister is concerned (the ****er)

kurczak said:

Pleb hurrrr duuurr. (sorry Amb)

Ambalon said:
Cutpurse3 said:
More like growing up, not so long haired teen who listens to metal despite the constant rap & anti-metal environment
Such a hero.  :cry:
:lol: Saw such-hearted response coming and lol'd when it did
Gonna get the olive one to brighten my clothes up a bit

Cutpurse3 said:
pentagathus said:
Or are you a greasy long haired adolescent who listens to metal just cos its cool?
No offence meant, its just what I usually think when I hear/read black longcoat.

kurczak said:

Politicians stay in hospital wearing a suit as far as our prime minister is concerned (the ****er)

Politicians are still "working" even when they're in the hospital. The Prime Minister has an image to keep up, he still represents your country. That's why he wears business clothing in a hospital.

Cutpurse3 said:
Ambalon said:
Cutpurse3 said:
Yep, go with the olive one. I bought myself a brown leather messenger bag and think it looks great; it doesn't go well with the style you describe, but then again, nothing does. Still, you should look into more options.

Anywho, I decided a while ago that my style was too formal, and have been settling with a rather unsatisfactory replacement for the past 3-4 months. Used to wear black slacks, black loafers, vest, button up shirt, tie, and black overcoat, which, obviously, too formal for everyday things. However, now I'm down to the overcoat, scarf, untucked button up shirt, jeans, and sneakers, which doesn't really jive together. BenKenobi is probably going to be the go to man for this, but I'll appreciate the rest of you lots' advice too.  :razz: I'd like to keep it old fashioned, naturally, but not look like I'm goin' to a damn interview. Any ideas on a more casual 20s-40s style?

Ambalon said:
It's very seldom that I wear suits. Hell, I'll never have to wear suits daily.  :razz:
Well, I'm probably going out tomorrow to look for one that suits me. Anyway, if I think the waistcoat wouldn't go well with the circumstance, I can leave it home no problem, correct? My only worry is that I might look like a tryhard wearing a three piece.

I know men who want to wear suits daily even if they don't have to. It does usually come somewhat later though. Like 35+ And they are not entirely wrong. I mean jeans and a t-shirt start to look awkward at a certain age and around that age a man usually has enough money to stop buying some Marks and Spencer confection, goes to a tailor and finds out for himself that a suit can actually really be both comfy and classy.

But I digress, yes I would leave the waistcoat at home if I were you unless it's a really formal event. But it's probably better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it or whatever is the saying.

Ambalon said:
Cutpurse3 said:
Ambalon said:
Cutpurse3 said:
Yep, go with the olive one. I bought myself a brown leather messenger bag and think it looks great; it doesn't go well with the style you describe, but then again, nothing does. Still, you should look into more options.
It's a "regular" longocat, mind you. Not a leather one.

Anywho, I decided a while ago that my style was too formal, and have been settling with a rather unsatisfactory replacement for the past 3-4 months. Used to wear black slacks, black loafers, vest, button up shirt, tie, and black overcoat, which, obviously, too formal for everyday things. However, now I'm down to the overcoat, scarf, untucked button up shirt, jeans, and sneakers, which doesn't really jive together. BenKenobi is probably going to be the go to man for this, but I'll appreciate the rest of you lots' advice too.  :razz: I'd like to keep it old fashioned, naturally, but not look like I'm goin' to a damn interview. Any ideas on a more casual 20s-40s style?

You need well fit button ups that are made to not be tucked in, and nice jeans. Button ups made for suits never look good if they're not tucked in, and tucking them into jeans just looks terrible. Ill fitted jeans are also terrible. Shell out the extra cash for a nice pair or two, and then mix it up with your slacks. It will also help if your sneakers don't look like sneakers. Something like this can be surprisingly classy without being an actual dress shoe. And they're rather comfortable.

kurczak said:
But I digress, yes I would leave the waistcoat at home if I were you unless it's a really formal event. But it's probably better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it or whatever is the saying.
I beg to differ. I think that suit with waistcoat - as long as said waistcoat has different colour than the suit - looks less formal than just suit, tie & dress shirt.

Oof, the treads on those. D: But anyways, for note, the overcoat and scarf stays. That's my ultimatum.  :razz:

Perhaps this is more to your taste? It may take a little digging, but you can definitely find sneakers that don't look too much like sneakers (a middle ground between sneakers and dress shoes), but provide the same comfort.

A nice overcoat can be a good touch, but scarves make no sense if you're not out in the cold. :razz:

Magorian Aximand said:
Something like this can be surprisingly classy without being an actual dress shoe. And they're rather comfortable.
Comfortable, yes. Surprisingly classy, no.

I'd like to keep it old fashioned, naturally, but not look like I'm goin' to a damn interview. Any ideas on a more casual 20s-40s style?
Probably the safest and easiest way to get this look would be to buy a hat. I would advice nonblack fedora, since they are the most classical one, but basically any will do. If you got the guts and really want to drop the last remain of formality, get the straw hat...and wait till end of the spring. Another option are bowties. There goes the simple advices I can think of. Then it really gets to individual jackets, pants, shirts, shoes and all that jazz.

The trouble with all this retro look and stuff is that not all people can see it. In the same way as one guy sees the airplane, while other sees the Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vc.

kurczak said:
I don't know....visual examples?
I can't find any pic right now, since only one I can find are with black suit and that looks formal nearly always to me. Once I find any, I will post it.

Back
Top Bottom