Darwin Day

Users who are viewing this thread

half-life-2-bathtub-portal-science.jpg

Mendel's way of research seem more scientific and logical than Darwin's. Darwin is the father of the evolution theory, while Mendel is father of modern genetics. Is it a "day of science" or day of Darwinism? I'm somewhat confused.

Kobrag said:
Where is Mendel day? Where is the day for Watson, Crick and Avery?

Whilst Darwin was proven correct, many of the points of Evolution were not cemented until the actual discovery of DNA, genes and the inheritance there of.

A day for one man, whilst brilliant, is superfluous.

Those discoveries actually disproved evolution though, along with having no transitional creatures either in fossils or in living examples. The DNA stubbornly won't let creatures evolve until you can't recognize them anymore. "Oh, but it takes millions of years" you say. That's interesting, you can't find an example of it happening but you know how long it takes, it must be Science.

Hey btw, I'm just interested in this particular matter and if someone (I'm looking at you MagAx) could explain it for me I'd be thankful. In order for evolution to have happened we need to accept that single-celled organisms at some time have evolved to multi-celled organisms. As it was explained to me the organisms for some reason decided to just lump together and suddenly they became multi-celled organisms. But we've never empirically proven this, have we?

Hard to "decide" to do anything without a central nervous system, but to answer your question, the change to multicellular life in this fashion has been shown to be plausible through experimentation. The one I'm remembering involved yeast.

But, more to the point, if we didn't yet have a reasonable explanation as to how single cell life made the transition to multicellular organisms, that would not indicate that evolution didn't happen. Your initial premise "In order for evolution to have happened we need to accept that single-celled organisms at some time have evolved to multi-celled organisms." is flawed.

But in some point of time single-celled organisms should have evolved to multi-cellular ones. Unless they'd have appeared along with single-celled organisms or during a different event.

They didn't "suddenly" become multicellular organisms.

Single celled organisms were all stewing in the soup, then some of them started clumping together. It so happened that the ones that clumped together had an easier time of it, and thus procreated furiously (actually they probably underwent mitosis, but everything's better when we mix sex in), over time, these colonial organisms as they are called started specializing, because as we see in sociology and the evolution of communities, specializing when there's a surplus happens. Because they were specialized, they couldn't survive on their lonesome, so after time, the colonial organism became a multicellular organism.

Article from the National Center for Biotechnology Information.

We still see examples of these colonial organisms right now. The most often mentioned (especially in High School Biology classes) is the "Volvox".

Another example, although already multicellular, is the Portuguese Man o' War.

Here's something else to read up on, as an answer to your very question written by some French biologist.

About what?

This Darwin Day nonsense?

I'm getting sick of the hivemind is all. It's strong in this forum.

If it was about Untitled's question, it was a legitimate one that deserved a legitimate answer. Most of that stuff can be found in a high school Bio textbook though.

Untitled. said:
But in some point of time single-celled organisms should have evolved to multi-cellular ones. Unless they'd have appeared along with single-celled organisms or during a different event.

If life began as single cell, yes, it would make sense that they then evolved to multicellularity. But the origins of life are not explained by evolution. Further, such an event (while predicted by and explained by evolution) would not be necessary for evolution "to have happened". Evolution is the change in allele frequency in a population over time. That clearly happens, and has happened for billions of years, whether life ever made a transition to multicellularity via evolutionary means or not. Additionally, if we did not yet have a concrete and demonstrably accurate explanation of how such changes occur, it would not diminish the status of evolutionary theory in the slightest, because the evidence for evolution is so overwhelming. It would only mean that this particular process was in need of research.

Just another believer in nonsense with big stacks of books full of nonsense, just like a seminary student. You are the same as the people who believe in ghosts and demons Magorian, admit it.

Back
Top Bottom