im new to vikingr

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeMPaHGamin

Recruit
Hi
i recently downloaded vikingr after taking a break from warband for a few months.
now i want to start playing vikingr alot more and try to join a clan
what should i do to get me started ? people have suggested getting an authentic name ?
thanks

Yes, first step should be to get an authentic/historical name; this thread will help.

Second step is to play the mod and to get yourself known. Learn the game, learn it's mechanics and the community rules and unwritten laws. Víkingr may appear cliquey at first, but that is only becouse we're very protective of our beloved mod, but keep playing and enjoy the mod! :smile:

thanks for your help,
after reading those threads and trying to undertstand the way names are built would this name be ok
Hávarðsdóttir

Hi and welcome to Víkingr, TeMPaHGamin!

To answer your question: no, that wouldn't work as a name. It's a patronymic (very, very roughly equivalent to a surname, except that it wasn't inherited; it's the system still in use in Iceland) which means "daughter of Hávarðr" and which wouldn't be used on its own. If your character is female, "[Female Name] Hávarðsdóttir" would work. If your character is male, the patronymic would be "Hávarðsson", or you could make "Hávarðr" his first name (but in that case, coming up with a different patronymic to stick after it would probably be a good idea).

You however dont have to take the name choosing too serious. The most important this is still that you can identify with the name and that you like it. As long as it is not lighsaberwarrior1337 you should be fine.

For getting into a clan playing on the server is the most important thing to do! Be kind and prove that you are interested in teamplay then you should be able to find a clan that suits you.

its very complicated to figure out a full name could you chose me a normal name for a viking in that time period.
thanks for your help

Well, it is okay, but it means "Hávarð's son/ son of Hávarð", like hrotha said. You could, of course use it, but it is not as "complete", as it could be.

Well, if you are a Norðmann, you can find some names from here.
You could name yourself "Steinn Hávarðsson", "Sigurðr Hávarðsson" or any name from that list + Hávarðsson, and it would be all right.

You don't need to settle for the first name that's suggested to you :mrgreen:. Take your time and take a good look at that list. You might find something you like better.
Baleigr said:
You however dont have to take the name choosing too serious. The most important this is still that you can identify with the name and that you like it. As long as it is not lighsaberwarrior1337 you should be fine.
Personally I think faux period names are just silly, but to each their own.

Well, to me lighsaberwarrior1337 is a "silly" name because it gives you a hint of the players character. And in this particular case is it rather likely for the player to be an overexcited, probably quite young and annoying kid. Bad characteristics in general ..
If your name however doesnt display bad characteristics it is not a silly name. And therefore it is quite obvious that a name even though not being historically accurate can still be perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, of course I'm not saying faux period names are just as silly as lighsaberwarrior1337, I was just trying to illustrate that different people have different thresholds. Personally (emphasis on personally) I don't see the point in going through the trouble of looking for a Víkingr name and then settling for a faux Norse name - they kind of stick out like a sore thumb. Dunno, sort of like the funny "English" names the Death Note manga uses for some of its characters, like 'Raye Penber' or 'Mail Jeevas'. No offense intended.

Some people are not that interested in medieval history and they also dont really care whether the names they have in a computer game (a quite unmedieval thing I'd say) are historically accurate or not. There is a certain arrogance towards such people in this community which should be criticised.

Sorry if I come across as arrogant, but wouldn't what you just said apply to "lighsaberwarrior1337" equally well?

You said "it gives you a hint of the players character" and "If your name however doesnt display bad characteristics it is not a silly name", but surely you'll agree those are very subjective notions and that therefore someone else would be perfectly entitled to get a similarly negative vibe from inaccurate names, particularly when they're masquerading as authentic? As I mentioned, different people have different thresholds.

I'm not on a "purist" crusade here or anything, and I mean no offense. I'm just answering your question, since you asked for an explanation.

I can understand you argumentation. I however would make adifference between an example like "lighsaberwarrior1337" and another normal not historically accurate name. You can accuse me of arrogance towards the "lighsaberwarrior1337" and i probably am, because such a person would deserve my arrogance.
My humble point is simply that a warriors name doesnt matter half as much as his behavior. I think we both dont even really have a disagreement in general. Maybe just a different valuation of points. But since we expressed these and were able to understand each other we can gently depart from each other for now ..
Until the next time we meet on the battlefield and then you can certainly expect no kindliness from me :wink:

I agree, the personality of the player, their turdliness or lack thereof, are way more important than their name, and there are turds and great chaps on both extremes of the hardcore-to-silly-name spectrum. I hope we didn't scare TeMPaHGamin off with our debate. :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom