Game recommendation: Stranded 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Maenardil

Sergeant Knight
Dear friends,

Cursory search shows this game was not discussed here, I thought I should share.
The game is "Stranded 2" by Unreal Software. It's similar to M&B being 3D, offering freedom of movement and modable.
You are stranded on an island, and your task is to survive. Game offers an adventure mode and "free play" mode, which I think lack any scripted special events. There are also arcade "minigames" based on the same engine. In adventure there is some extra stuff, but the core of a game is to explore island, gather food, hunt animals, make tools and weapons. Key to winning is to discover useful items combinations, I don't spoil much saying that i.e bendable stick + cord = bow. (How to get said materials is another story) There are few skills character is getting better at i.e. as your fishing skill increase, there is greater chance of catching something. I think hunting is solely based on hand-eye coordination and reflex.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. http://www.unrealsoftware.de/game_stranded2.php

Ah, and one more similarity - Stranded also does not have a multiplayer, and everybody are dying to play one. (Authors says, that in environment where almost everything can be destroyed it would be quite challenging to synchronize game world between players). But I guess certain games are so awesome, that adding multiplayer support would cause a singularity or something. Too much awesomeness for universe to handle.

Mae

PS  :oops: I noticed after posting there is a subforum for other games.. I'm sorry  :oops:

I found a link for it on these forums a while back, played it until I got to a difficult island, then homework ended the adventure.

So it's completely free? Does it download in the same way as M&B?

I'll play it if so, it reminds me of Stranded Kids for the gameboy colour. That was a very good game (for its time) I could play it for hours on end.

with the shelter v tent debate. It really depends. Shelters are good shelter but tents can be moved :smile:
For any of the campaign map islands there's not enough animals for the hides, however, and shelters are best

I really like the game's concept. I've played it a fair bit now, made a nice map using the editor where I plan on making a big camp.

Only thing I -really- hate is the cartoony graphics and the abominations that are animal models. :lol:
With nice, interactive graphics, a little more depth into building stuff and a little better dialog / grammar, this game would absolutely rock.

Also - fun fact: you can make wilson - the volleyball 'char' from Castaway. (I saw it in the item list, don't know how to make it though.)
The item discription says "This is Wilson - I hope I don't get sued from the Castaway guys for this" or something along those lines. :lol:

In the shelter vs Tent debate. Build shelters wherever you need them (it's a fairly small requirement) making perhaps 5 in all the spots you go to (farm, fishing, hunting, mining, wanking) then your main camp (probably the farm one) you can build a hut, which can contain a campfire and storage.

As for the skins in the campaign map. That isn't true, I managed to make a tent, it just took me a lot of killing lions.

Anyway, thanks a lot Maenardil for this little gem! I'm really enjoying it, and I'll probably be spending most of my free time on it for the next few days :grin:

Reminds my of A Tale in The Desert, a MMO where there's no fighting at all, just gathering/building/learning skills, etc.

Nice find, btw!

Sucker Punch: do you have a hammer already? If not, make one using a branch and a stone. The hammer is the most important tool of all. Once you have made it you can build stuff by holding it in your hand and right clicking. (Also, the more you build, the more new things are unlocked so eventually you'll be working on that hut you've always wanted. :razz:)

The game isn't too hard when you finally know what stuff makes what stuff. Since then you don't have to focus on searching food and water and such, but rather can focus on building and getting all the wood and stuff.

Anyway, after playing several hours and not finding how to make certain items (poison arrows for example), I searched and found a list in German of all items and requirements and managed to translate most of it since Dutch is quite similar to German, so if anyone wants to know something specific that you really can't find, you can ask. :razz: (I've lost the link now though - but I think I can remember most of them. :lol:)

I'd suggest you only ask when you're really desperate though, part of the fun of the game is to find out how to make stuff, using common sense and using whatever you managed to grasp. :smile:

Highelf said:
Sucker Punch: do you have a hammer already? If not, make one using a branch and a stone. The hammer is the most important tool of all. Once you have made it you can build stuff by holding it in your hand and right clicking. (Also, the more you build, the more new things are unlocked so eventually you'll be working on that hut you've always wanted. :razz:)

The game isn't too hard when you finally know what stuff makes what stuff. Since then you don't have to focus on searching food and water and such, but rather can focus on building and getting all the wood and stuff.

Anyway, after playing several hours and not finding how to make certain items (poison arrows for example), I searched and found a list in German of all items and requirements and managed to translate most of it since Dutch is quite similar to German, so if anyone wants to know something specific that you really can't find, you can ask. :razz: (I've lost the link now though - but I think I can remember most of them. :lol:)

I'd suggest you only ask when you're really desperate though, part of the fun of the game is to find out how to make stuff, using common sense and using whatever you managed to grasp. :smile:
Press the poison out of poison mushrooms.

A few questions here.

I'm playing through adventure, I did the boring grind to get off the first island, did the boring grind to get off the second island and now I'm having to face a load of Raptors with my throwing spears (of which I have a theoretically infinite supply)

My problem is that I now have a fracture. does anyone know of a way to get rid of them without healing potions or herbs? I'm afraid it autosaved when I tried to sleep it off :razz:

Another question. Anyone know how to make the axe and the scythe. I've tried all I can with iron and sticks. The hammer can only create iron rods, and then nails from those. So I'm at a loss as to how to make an axe shaped blade/sychte blade. The same applies for iron tipped arrows, I just can't seem to find the right items to make them.

Back
Top Bottom