Native Completed Battle of the Bastards (BoB) Duel Tourney

Users who are viewing this thread

Zaffa said:
To exaggerate the point, think of what would happen if a machine gun was available in a civil war game. Just about everyone would pick it because of its drastic superiority to everything else. The GS does the same thing. It simply makes other weapons fight at a mass disadvantage.

TIL, Great Sword is as drastically overpowered as a machinegun against muskets (according to ill-informed plebes).

Zaffa said:
Think it is obvious that half the comments against me are from "elitist" players who think they are better than everyone else just because they have been around a while. For some reason, there seems to be a trend in this community that when people start becoming competitive they become massive dicks.

Mr. X and Orion are obvious trolls.

Mr. X is a tryhard who has to complain in every thread he sees to try and compensate for his need for attention. Though he has some compeititve experience, his general attitude serves more as a cancer to the community than anything.

Orion on the other hand just likes to ramble on in whatever thread appears on his screen. His posts are non-constructive and serve only as foreplay leading up to some type of RL dojo challange.

I see no reason to provide courtesy to someone that won't offer the same in return. Though some others have expressed some "legitimate" concerns regarding the hbs/bs restriction in my tournament, at the end of the day, I have decided to keep the restriction regardless. This is my tournament and none of the concerns posted thus far suggest how the restriction will hurt the tournament.

Do I look like Dave? You were the only one to throw down any sort of bull**** "challenge." I gave you reasoned criticism, and your only responses to me in the entire thread have been trolling. Shove it up your ass, Zaffa. You know nothing.

Best of luck to everyone entering this tournament. You'll have to deal with Zaffa, and he's an ignorant, arrogant prick. I'm sorry for your wasted time.

Zaffa said:
Unless you suddenly became gifted with the ability to stomp me into the ground, don't pretend that you know more regarding dueling/melee combat and that I have never played the game before.

I'm free on sunday. And I will be using a Two-Handed Sword, the same sword I've been using to duel for about 2 years.

Zaffa said:
MrNomNom said:
I'm okay with dueling a bastard sword. I'm not as okay with dismissing people as "trolls" "*****es" "elitists" or "QQers" simply because they disagree with you.
Think it is obvious that half the comments against me are from "elitist" players who think they are better than everyone else just because they have been around a while. For some reason, there seems to be a trend in this community that when people start becoming competitive they become massive dicks.

Glad you're thinking. :roll:
What do you /think/ about the other half of the comments? I actually haven't been around for a *while*, as I started playing really once the game was released, missing the beta and open beta. So there are definitely players who are older than me, and I really don't give a **** about that. I don't think I'm right because I've been in this community longer (which I don't even know is true or not). I think I'm right because I can provide arguments and reasons to back myself up, and you haven't refuted any of my arguments yet.

Zaffa said:
Mr. X and Orion are obvious trolls.

Yea, it's completely ****ing obvious that me and orion are trolls, considering we were the only two to really argue something even though a number of people mentioned the inconsistencies in the OP (i.e, "gimmicks are stupid" "insert gimmick here"). Since we're the ones who argued it more than e-rolling our eyes, we're obviously trolls.

Zaffa said:
Mr. X is a tryhard who has to complain in every thread he sees to try and compensate for his need for attention. Though he has some compeititve experience, his general attitude serves more as a cancer to the community than anything.

My general attitude? Because you know so much about my life, right...

You caught me! I try so ****ing hard every 1 and a half hours a week that I get to play the game. And I'm not satisfied with a loving family and a ****ing fabulous school and a ****load of support from friends and mentors in my artistic pursuits. It's just not enough for me. Every day, after 7 hours of school and anywhere from 3 to 6 hours of theatrical and choral rehearsals, I tell myself I don't get enough attention from working personally with the director of drama at my school or being the only qualified student conductor in the past decade. So I come on taleworlds, look at the first thread I see, and make completely senseless arguments so I feel better about my life.

Oh wait, you didn't know all that **** about my life?! Maybe you don't know me well enough to judge my character? I mean I know it seems crazy because you've seen me post on a forum a couple of times, but maybe that isn't enough to identify me as an attention whore.

I really liked the "some competitive experience" bit, though. That was pretty good. You were totally downplaying the fact that I've been competing for those 3 to 4ish years I've been playing, and I've been involved on 3 of the 4 nations cup teams to date. I've been a part of every battle tournament to date, and a part of all of the duel tournaments that haven't included gimmicks.

Oh, and a cancer is a group of cells whose division is not controlled. They're caused by oncogenes, which are proto-oncogenes that have had some sort of mutation or malfunction, which causes some sort of problem with cell division. It's also a pretty ****ty analogy for my forum persona.

Zaffa said:
Orion on the other hand just likes to ramble on in whatever thread appears on his screen. His posts are non-constructive and serve only as foreplay leading up to some type of RL dojo challange.

Well good thing you beat him to the dojo challenge! And I can see how you would think that bringing up legitimate points about the tournament rules and responding to arguments with logic is non-constructive, since you never seem to do that. But the rest of the world would tend to agree that it's actually a perfect example of constructive argument.

Zaffa said:
I see no reason to provide courtesy to someone that won't offer the same in return. Though some others have expressed some "legitimate" concerns regarding the hbs/bs restriction in my tournament, at the end of the day, I have decided to keep the restriction regardless. This is my tournament and none of the concerns posted thus far suggest how the restriction will hurt the tournament.

I know its your tournament, and I'm fully aware that you're allowed to host whatever tournament you would like. A lot of people have pointed that out already. I'm questioning the tournament's rules, and asking about them on the open forum. So is Orion. That's also something we're perfectly allowed to do. He's allowed to run a tournament the way he wants, I'm allowed to question the rules.

Almost all of the concerns posted thus far suggest how the restriction will hurt the tournament.
This one:
Mr.X said:
Zaffa said:
Chill bro. I was referring to the different "ranges" of fighting. The hbs and bs offer the best variation of upper medium and close range fighting. The gs is too long ranged and lends itself to a large amount of "range dancing" and "thrust offs/chamber wars". In contrast, the hbs and bs allow for people to play a little bit of the range game while still having proper close range fighting.

The best "variation" would be achieved by letting people use any weapon, instead of limiting it to 2.
And particularly this one:
Orion said:
I understand that people are used to gs dueling, even if the weapon argueably isn;t the most ideal duel weapon

Maybe it's arguably not the ideal duel weapon for you. For someone else it very well could be. It's a matter of style. By forcing people to change their style for your tournament, you're arbitrarily affecting their potential performance while at the same time not affecting the potential performance of those the rule does not inhibit, and by doing so the results of your tournament will be less accurate in terms of ranking players by their skill because some players will be fighting at a disadvantage (even if it's temporary).

I also think its funny how you say:
Zaffa said:
With this said, I am still of the opinion that the hbs/bs are superior dueling weapons than gs. Because of the high reach of the gs, there simply isn't a proper transition between long and short range combat. This transition occurs much nicer with the hbs/bs, allowing for constant short and medium range combat, as opposed to overly prolonged short/long range fighting that occurs with GS.

Because if the hbs/bs are the superior dueling weapons, how come:
Zaffa said:
When the GS was available, it was overly dominant and forced almost everyone to pick it.

Weird how the non-superior weapon was the most dominant weapon. Unless you remember the fact that you know more about dueling than everyone in the community. Then it makes sense :roll:

In regards to this:

Mr.X said:
Zaffa said:
  • Since this is an NA tournament, all NA vs. EU duels must be played on a suitable East Coast duel server, unless the NA player pings higher than 95, in which case a more appropriate server may be chosen.

95 in an American tournament for an American is kinda BS. Some EU players can get 80ish on east coast servers.

I noticed it's now changed the 75. I'm glad that change was put into effect, and I really do think that helps create more of an NA-friendly environment. So thanks.

Boys, boys, calm down.
I propose that all arguments, whether about GSs or about the Lag/Duke whose **** is bigger contest, should be moved to pms or ended. (Says the hypocrite who argued about the historical characteristics of BSs) Lets try to make it a little easier for Zaffa to view his thread without having to sift through all the bs (Although I have to say that it is ironic, or maybe not, that a thread that Zaffa made became such a drama train).

edit: The last bs does not mean "Bastard Sword" for clarification, although I do enjoy how punny it is.

X and I are still making posts relevant to the tournament and its rules. I don't see why it should be taken to PMs when the rules of the tournament are a public matter.

To get back on topic since the argument with lag has grown weary. X and Marnid are making really strong points on why some rules should be repealed. However, it is his tourney. He has the ultimate say. Nonetheless, if you have the guts to create a dueling tournament that does not include the GS, there is a good chance you will bashed by one of these two.

But, Zaffa. These guys know what they are talking about when it comes down to the fundamental principles of warband.

In-Game Name: CrueLHamsteR
Forums Profile Link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile
Steam Name/ or Link: volshen_ua
NA or EU: EU

In-Game Name: Heroes_Centurion
Forums Profile Link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=171669
Steam Name/ or Link: I don't use it often but if there is a special need, you may find me here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198050994141
NA or EU: EU

I hope this event doesn't require a lot of time, otherwise I won't be able to participate in it. In any case count me in please.

So administrative question that I am putting up to those participating in the tournament.

Is there a preference between double/single elimination tournament? Assuming all things run smoothly (deadlines will be strictly enforced), double elimination shouldn't add much time to the tournament and will allow people a "second chance" should something go horribly wrong on one of their duel sets. On the other hand, the tournament was initially created with the single elimination ruleset, and it would not be right to change rules without first consulting community.

That said, I am leaving this issue completely up to the community.

Back
Top Bottom