Public Poll

Users who are viewing this thread

I will borrow my posts about culture change from the 1257 Mod. I hope an option is present to switch cultures in captured lands. That is the only solution I see. Logically there is no historically accurate way to deal with this.

"I will make one more point about troops in different regions/cultures: When I took Barrca in North Africa, I was subsequently at war with the Mamluks. The thing was I was fighting their armies with the exact same troops as they had. That is what kills it for me; :cry: a carbon copy battle, with forces the exact same as mine just seems out of place. I am essentially Mamluk, without a culture change one completely adapts to the culture you conquer, which is historically inaccurate. There is no conquering, it is about adaptation. The passage of time on these big mods like 1275 and 1200 is not really relevant. "

It is true that, generally, both options are historically viable - there are many cases of lords switching sides (after and, mostly, before being beaten) and many cases of lords persisting in their resistance. As an example to the latter, if I continue Mihailo's Bulgarian/Balkan examples, there was f.e. this one Bulgarian lord from the "Bulgarian-Byzantine epopee" (the wars between Samuil and Basil II), either Dragshan or Nikulitsa I think, who got captured by the Byzantines, the emperor gave him title and command in Byzantium, but he escaped and rejoined Samuil's forces. Then he got captured again and escaped again, continuing the resistance even after the Bulgarian state had finally fallen. And that's between two states which were very close to each other - same religion and quite similar culture (not to mention the guy was originally a Byzantine governor, even if he was of potential Bulgarian ethnicity). So we can imagine what it would be in a case of greater clash of cultures - yes, there were cases of Muslim lords allying Christians (Byzantines, Crusaders) against other Muslims, there were probably also cases of such lords serving another faction after converting (Muslims to Christianity or Christians to Islam), but there were also many who probably wouldn't. I guess that would/could depend on their Honour rating - if the guy has low honour, he could even join a completely different and antagonistic culture/faction, while if he has very high honour, he could fight till the end, even if the two factions are almost identical.

As for the Old vs. New nobility - again, both options are viable, though I would say that it's much more common that the new conquerors would use the "old guards", as long as they had the option (i.e. as long as the old nobility was willing to serve them; see above).

Is there anything in the mod's mechanics that stops you from "forcefully" importing troops from Europe if you don't want to use native ones? Because that's what one would have to do in reality (or history). It was the very crux of the crusading era that loyal troops had to be brought from Europe which was, in return, so hard that it became the reason for why it never went well. So if the player indeed wants to reverse history and establish a Christian empire in the Middle East, he or she would have to overcome the exact problems of that time and military context.

The easyest thing to do is to choose your culture wen you become an independent king of your own faction. the Normans did it in Sicily using local troops and Norman knits . they created a Norman kingdom half Europe away by the lands of their origin. :cool:

Jason L. said:
The easyest thing to do is to choose your culture wen you become an independent king of your own faction. the Normans did it in Sicily using local troops and Norman knits . they created a Norman kingdom half Europe away by the lands of their origin. :cool:

I agree 100% with this. Options are always the best thing, especially when there are relevant points being made for both sides.

But "using local troops" says that it's not that simple, right? I'd agree with the idea if the look of the people would still be the same like in the whole region (that is, if peoples' looks were region-based in the first place but this is how it appeared to me). So then if you really wanted to set up an Almohad-like empire in Ireland, you'd have to deal with gingers wearing virtually oriental gear.  :razz:

Well, regarding the whole old/new nobility issue, I think I've already decided what I'm going to do.

By default, you'll be able to recruit professional and noble troops of the faction that previously held the castles conquered by your own faction. This means that, initially, the local nobility keeps its lands and privileges in exchange of providing military support to their new master. However, I'll implement a dialogue option with the minister that will allow the player to just change that and adopt a new base culture, which means the recruitable professionals and nobles and castles will be replaced by those of whatever culture you choose. I'll also give the option to revert this change (and apply it again) as many times as the player wishes, as i.e. the player may want to rely, to a certain degree, on the conquered faction's noble chaste as well (as it happened IRL).

I also believe that forcing the player to choose a culture, either from the very beginning of the game or when an own kingdom is started, would be too rigid. Your character may be of i.e. scottish origin, but if latter in game you settle as a lord of Hungary and later go on your own adventure to start a new kingdom in the Holy Land, it would make more sense for you to have hungarian nobles backing you rather than scottish (so being stuck with the scottish culture from the beginning wouldn't be any good). On the other hand, some time after starting your own kingdom, nothing guarantees you won't eventually be at war with your "motherland" faction, while you may get on much better terms with another faction, so you should have the option to again replace the "new nobility" of your territories to another one more friendly to your interests (remember that having in your party soldiers of a certain culture when you are at war with the faction directly related to that culture has a negative impact on party morale; it's no good to have i.e. venetian nobles in your warband if you're at war with Venice).

Korinov said:
Well, regarding the whole old/new nobility issue, I think I've already decided what I'm going to do.

By default, you'll be able to recruit professional and noble troops of the faction that previously held the castles conquered by your own faction. This means that, initially, the local nobility keeps its lands and privileges in exchange of providing military support to their new master. However, I'll implement a dialogue option with the minister that will allow the player to just change that and adopt a new base culture, which means the recruitable professionals and nobles and castles will be replaced by those of whatever culture you choose. I'll also give the option to revert this change (and apply it again) as many times as the player wishes, as i.e. the player may want to rely, to a certain degree, on the conquered faction's noble chaste as well (as it happened IRL).

I also believe that forcing the player to choose a culture, either from the very beginning of the game or when an own kingdom is started, would be too rigid. Your character may be of i.e. scottish origin, but if latter in game you settle as a lord of Hungary and later go on your own adventure to start a new kingdom in the Holy Land, it would make more sense for you to have hungarian nobles backing you rather than scottish (so being stuck with the scottish culture from the beginning wouldn't be any good). On the other hand, some time after starting your own kingdom, nothing guarantees you won't eventually be at war with your "motherland" faction, while you may get on much better terms with another faction, so you should have the option to again replace the "new nobility" of your territories to another one more friendly to your interests (remember that having in your party soldiers of a certain culture when you are at war with the faction directly related to that culture has a negative impact on party morale; it's no good to have i.e. venetian nobles in your warband if you're at war with Venice).
Sounds too good to be true.... :grin: thanks....

Korinov said:
(remember that having in your party soldiers of a certain culture when you are at war with the faction directly related to that culture has a negative impact on party morale; it's no good to have i.e. venetian nobles in your warband if you're at war with Venice).

What if you have bavarians? Do they count for the whole roman empire or just the bavarian part?

The bavarian special culture is not directly associated with the HRE faction, so I suppose it wouldn't have an effect. But I can't tell for sure.

Indeed, what regionality is the "basis" for the "multinational/multiregional" factions (f.e. the HRE has several regionalities, France as well, etc)? Or they have no morale penalty (hey, that would make you fighting the HRE a bit easier :razz:)?

Korinov, what you suggest is seriously awesome, it would make a terrific addition to the mod. I totally support it haha
Hope it won't be too difficult to implement though.

Actually, I totally agreed with that original culture theory, and It would be even greater if player is to be offered the opportunity to change his/her culture at will as a politician /monarch will do no less than that. Great job!!! Can't wait to see the end of February.

Korinov said:

Wow this sounds great!

I remember a while ago we had a discussion about being able to assign fiefs to generic lords/captains. So, is there any news about it?

EDIT: I posted this in the wrong topic, but anyways.

Back
Top Bottom