Nords Vs. Everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

jurjeskovici

Recruit
Hi guys, I'm here to ask for a bit of wisdom coming from the M&B comunity.
I play the campaign, I have a level 15 character, vassal of King Ragnar of the Nords, and lord of Derchios Castle, Fearichen and Ibieran. I had a great time fighting the Swadians to extinction, but now every single other faction declared war on the Nords.

I had a pretty small army (77 men) and I met a 125 horsemen from the Kherjit Khanate. I managed to make them attack me in a forrest, and luckily for me I killed them, but remaind with only 34 troops ( 4 heroes and the rest are Huscarls ). My coffers are running dry because my villages get looted all the time, and I also have to manage the castle's garrison, and I don't want to loot, because I'll have to work hard to get more honour.

Any advice on what to do? Also, when do you think some of the factions will stop attacking the nords? If the keep attacking, we'll be down to a couple of cities and castles in no time.

Do quests for guild masters, although boring, it's an income atleast.
For a more steady income, buy property in a big city, some sort of enterprise. Will get you a soldi income every week.

It's probably a matter of time before the factions stop attacking the nords, or atleast some, for now just ride arround and help the silly Nord Lords who get into fights they can't handle.

Hmm this should be moved to single player section.

I think nords are good at siege combat. There is nothing else you can do besides raising more troops, for the future fights as fast as possible. Besides, if you're at a position like this - extraordinary - I believe the ends justify the means philosophy can be the way to go. One thing to be learned from game of thrones is, survival first; honor later. If you lost your fiefs, no one will respect you anyway.
It seems that you should have no problem with the money, since you'll have a great income from the fiefs. You will need troops, and you will need them fast. Gather some troops, mercenaries can be useful here too. Do fighting when possible (with weak enemies to upgrade your troops)

These are the only advices I can give to you. Besides, I envy you so much. The game never pushed me that hard. I'd love to see a challenge like this. Umm... can you send me your save file :razz:

Le Roux said:
For a more steady income, buy property in a big city, some sort of enterprise. Will get you a soldi income every week.

This, this, a hundred times this. I have yet to join a faction on my latest game, which is stretching into 300 days. I have a party of 100, including myself, 4 heroes, and then a 2:3 mix of Vaegir Marksmen and Nord Huscarls (with half a dozen Veterans being ranked to replace some casualties). With no fiefs/tax income, I still gain money every week. That further means I don't actually have to take quests, capture prisoners, or raid caravans just to pay my troops. All of that becomes spending money, so I can upgrade my equipment or the equipment of my heroes.

strong arming caravans are EXCELLENT sources of income.

toll or raid.

honor decreaser but villagers carry goods worth while..

Orion said:
Le Roux said:

This, this, a hundred times this. I have yet to join a faction on my latest game, which is stretching into 300 days. I have a party of 100, including myself, 4 heroes, and then a 2:3 mix of Vaegir Marksmen and Nord Huscarls (with half a dozen Veterans being ranked to replace some casualties). With no fiefs/tax income, I still gain money every week. That further means I don't actually have to take quests, capture prisoners, or raid caravans just to pay my troops. All of that becomes spending money, so I can upgrade my equipment or the equipment of my heroes.
The only problem with this is when your faction is at war with one where you have your enterprises, the income is lost for the duration of the war. It claims it is sequestered but you dont get a payout when the war ends. Now if the Nords own quite a few cities then you just need to build your enterprises in those cities. Just make sure you have good relations with the city, lord of the city and I think the king of that cities faction.
I have found the quest where you take out bandit/raider camps to be a good one for xp and gold. It does impact the Sea Raider farming but then if you are at war then you wont have much time to chase Sea raiders anyway.
Scyrius said:
Searching for tourneys is also a good way to raise a ton of money at little risk. Just ask the arena master for the nearest tournament.
+1 this

Ok, first of all, your predicament is very normal since if a kingdom becomes too powerful all the others jump on it in order to make sure it doesn't grow too strong. Odds are that by the end of the war you will lose some castles\cities, but it will by no means destroy the Nords for good.

As for income, don't worry too much about honor. Unlike renown which has a very high maximum cap (if any), honor goes from -99 to +99 just like relations. So losing some honor isn't all that crippling compared to the boost in income a raid can give, and you get Right to Rule as a result (also capped at +/- 99). Also on this note, if you do go raiding, pick a village that is in the middle of nowhere so that the odds of getting attacked while looting are lower. Hunting down caravans can also be good for profits and it also gives your new troops some easy experience.

Hunting down Sea Raider landings is also a good idea. Talk to the lord of Wercheg and see if he has a quest to do that first since t gives an extra 1500 Denars on to of the loot, plus an increase to relations with the Lord and the City. But since they usually pop up near Rivacheg (which I'm assuming is still owned by the Vaegirs) then just go and look for the landings without the quest.

When it comes to productive enterprises, it's a bit more complicated. If you are playing Native, then they are indeed a good source of steady income. But if you are using Diplomacy or any mod that contains that mod, then the economy is a bit more complex and unpredictable. It's much harder to find an enterprise that is profitable (just building Dye-works in every city isn't enough) and odds are that it won't stay profitable for long.

Hope this helps and good luck with the Wars :smile:.

stormcricket said:
The only problem with this is when your faction is at war with one where you have your enterprises, the income is lost for the duration of the war. It claims it is sequestered but you dont get a payout when the war ends. Now if the Nords own quite a few cities then you just need to build your enterprises in those cities. Just make sure you have good relations with the city, lord of the city and I think the king of that cities faction.
I have found the quest where you take out bandit/raider camps to be a good one for xp and gold. It does impact the Sea Raider farming but then if you are at war then you wont have much time to chase Sea raiders anyway.

Well, you don't need over 3000-5000 denars every week at an early to mid stage in the game.
If you have three enterprises split over some cities belonging to different kingdoms you should be fine.
OK, the OP is at war with everybody, thus he builds his enterprises in the Nord cities.

However when the war is over, and the next one starts, say with the Vaegirs, he should build his enterprises in the Sarranid Sultanate, since that's pretty far away and really in no immediate threat of being shut down.

Back
Top Bottom