Numenera: Torment - reimagining PST

Users who are viewing this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PtFlcZome4&list=SP7atuZxmT957LDLBa4uMnJc8k6m5I1ZBz

They happened to get the idea when discussing Planespace: Torment, I think. And yeah, another reason for me to be exited about this game. :razz:

I've only read the first one and it was a pleasant enough read, but the best? Meh. The main character is too much of a Mary Sue (admittedly, a bit of a sociopath MS) and it felt too much like Wizard of Earthsea at times. It was ok.

He's not my absolute favorite author either, but I definitely think his writing style is quite fantastic. I'm pretty excited to see what he could add to a game like this.

Merlkir said:
I've only read the first one and it was a pleasant enough read, but the best? Meh. The main character is too much of a Mary Sue (admittedly, a bit of a sociopath MS) and it felt too much like Wizard of Earthsea at times. It was ok.
    You are entitled to your taste, but I really think that Kvothe is one of the best protagonists ever.  A prodigy, he is a man who can achieve anything he puts his mind to, but is limited only by his own flaws, miscalculations, and just plain stupid mistakes.  Basically he is Harry Potter...if Harry Potter was an actual human being and not a piece of cardboard without personality.  The thing I like about him most is his caution and his indecisiveness.
    As for the Wizard of Earthsea comparison, I never really liked Ged.  I like Kvothe because he is narrating and is damn honest about his motivations and actions, no matter how badly they reflect on him.  Ged honestly only had selfishness and a cool scar.  It was a cool world...but I prefer the Thief-Like setting of Name of the Wind.  And I like how there isn't an obvious overarching narrative arc to Name of the Wind.  Kvothe doesn't have precise or clear goals.  You know...like normal people.  And the poetry when Kvothe is telling the story.  That prose is just so crisp and has such elaborate analogies and wordplay.  It's sounds like medieval noir really.  You get a feel for who he is, a Nietzschean Übermensch.  But unlike the Übermensch Nietzsche predicted, this Superman is a deeply flawed individual and cannot provide societal values or provide definition to reality.  I'd actually say his closest analogue would be Paul Atreides from Dune (mixed with a ton of Cyrano de Bergerac).
    And his romance is possibly the cutest (and most depressing) thing ever, as he tries to read into things while remaining cautious, parrying everything with a witty repost even though he harbors a ton of self-loathing and steps very carefully in order to avoid hurting the few people he cares about.  But when trying to realize his grand ambitions, he lets nothing stands in his way.  Not the love of his life, not his happiness, not the feelings of others, and certainly not danger.
    Is he a Mary Sue?  No.  I don't think so.  A Mary Sue is like Bella.  She has no personality, no goals, no intelligence, and no thoughts of her own.  The reader is meant to project her own thoughts onto Bella, and that is what makes her a self-insertion role.  Kvothe on the other hand?  He clearly does have thoughts, regrets, wits, personality, self-loathing, and a poet's tongue.  Is he a typical teenager?  In many ways yes, and that it was makes him stand apart from Harry Potter and Ged.  A realistic portrait of a teenagers mindset...Yes the audience identifies with him completely....but in a good way.

And now the guy who made that character will hopefully give us some role-playing options like that.  Kvothe the nameless one!

Lueii said:
A prodigy, he is a man who can achieve anything he puts his mind to, but is limited only by his own flaws, miscalculations, and just plain stupid mistakes.  Basically he is Harry Potter...if Harry Potter was an actual human being and not a piece of cardboard without personality.  The thing I like about him most is his caution and his indecisiveness.
Agreed. Sounds like the best protagonist ever.

So I got Planescape today, played for an hour or so, so far, even though I thought the story would be really hard to get into, having the main character on the same level as you really helps, like in Witcher.

I think I like this Morte guy. A bit too much after the undead booty, but otherwise a cool guy.

Also, I installed all of the mods recommended on the GoG site here: http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

Really not sure why you wouldnt recommend some of those to be installed for the first playthrough, Jhessail, maybe so you could see the difference, but I prefer it this way, it's not like I'm going to play through this a second time.

A replay is actually really rewarding.  Play as a stupid fighter and an intelligent mage and your game will be VERY different.  The stupid options are hilarious.

I went with, what was it, intelligence, charisma and dexterity, and one point in each of the other two. I hope fighting can be avoided as much as possible, the combat system really isnt...Worth it. :lol:

I'm going to reveal something really embarrassing. I've never played PS:T. One day I'll get around to it. In the meantime, I backed Numenera.

Comrade Temuzu said:
I went with, what was it, intelligence, charisma and dexterity, and one point in each of the other two. I hope fighting can be avoided as much as possible, the combat system really isnt...Worth it. :lol:

Indeed.  Still...being a dumb fighter produces hilarious dialogue options and intimidation options.

Not impressed with the screenshot. Obviously they rushed it out to get KS pledges before the end. But it's far far inferior to the Eternity one.

Just look at it in hires. Not much detail, blurred textures in places, nothing really interesting, just a quick ZBrush model with some basic textures and painted over in Photoshop. (I'd be very surprised if the strangely colourful light is not an Overlay layer in PS)

(current engines are more than capable of rendering this level of graphics realtime. Why not do better if you're pre-rendering it?)

Because they want the game to run on really ****ty computers and they realize that their audience doesn't care as much about graphics?

Performance is not an issue.  Hoping your audience does not care about graphics would be lazy, but I doubt they're that stupid.

It's rushed, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom