Numenera: Torment - reimagining PST

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhessail

Panzervixen
Grandmaster Knight
Some of you might already know that Brian Fargo managed to snatch up the UP to Torment. Not Planescape, though, as that's still in copyright hell but the title Torment and the story of PS:T. Part of his InXile team has now been freed up from Wasteland 2 as progress has been good, so he turned them loose on creating something similar to PS:T, that will be funded by a Kickstarter at some point. Rumours about the progress have been flying for the last month or so and now there's some concrete information, as Brian Fargo has been interviewed by NowGamer.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1766807/brian_fargo_interview_new_torment_numenera_crpg.html

351822.jpg

And important words for skeptics:

You’ve already spoken about how you're using Numenera as a setting, so if a Torment game isn’t about PlaneScape, what is it about?

The concept of Torment is not specific to a single setting. It’s about the philosophical journey of a single character searching for meaning in a deeply personal story of self-reflection and self-realization.

It’s about a symbolic path through one’s legacy and one’s future. The setting is a valuable tool for helping to define that pathway thematically, and Numenera is the right setting for the story we want to tell and the questions we want to ask this time around: what does one life matter?

Just how similar – and in what ways will it be – is this new Torment game be to PlaneScape Torment? How do you pick out what is important?

We’ve had more than a decade to absorb the lessons and experiences of the players and creators of the game, and we think the important part of PlaneScape Torment was the philosophical, intellectual, and emotional journey taken by the Nameless One and his companions.

His story is complete, but PlaneScape Torment’s thematic elements are timeless. We intend to create an experience that evokes similar feelings, with deep, meaningful choices, clear reactivity, a rich and personal story, and interesting companions.

Numenera is the new fantasy world setting dreamed up by Monte Cook and it's apparently awesomely brilliant. Wasteland 2 is coming along really nicely so I'm carefully optimistic about this. At least it's not an FPS.

Numenera looks interesting as ****. Some of my artist friends are working on the setting and it's pretty sweet. It's a weird crossover of potentially awesome things, this new Torment game. Looking forward to hearing more.

The Kickstarter for this game is now live at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

This went live 2 hours ago and at the moment, it has $371,041 USD pledged by 6,694 backers. The goal is $900,000 and it has 30 days to go.

Looks quite good so far. I'm happy with the interest people are showing.

I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling like I did with Eternity, but damn. It's called Torment and Númenera is a very cool looking setting.

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
Thought we might have had more than 5 hours to put together our visual for our stretch goals. :wink:'

and they are funded in less than 6 hours:

backers
$914,716
pledged of $900,000 goal

My $35 are in there, woop woop!

Welp, that's it. Gonna play through Planescape: Torment once Im finished with my exams. Been eyeballin' it for a while now, but judging from the kickstarter, goddamn it must have been a good game.

If you have the time, play first time as a dumb fighter but one that is selfless and idealist.

Then play WIS 18, INT 18 and CHA 18 (or as close as you can get) wizard who is selfish and cynical and realize the difference.

Death is not the end. Words have power. Carry a hammer and some literal trash. That's enough tips for the beginning.

You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!! We just funded in six hours!?!?!

Our heads are still spinning at the incredible response we have had from today's support of our Kickstarter campaign. We had plans to roll out our stretch goals and to write our Kickstarter updates but never in our wildest dreams did we think we would fund this quickly!!! We are joyfully scrambling right now to get a longer update and some stretch goals in front of you as soon as we can. We should have more to say later today.

You are all unbelievably awesome and we could not be happier about receiving your trust in us. For many years we have wanted to get back to making this style of RPG but it appeared that the market was going everywhere but that direction. Almost every article and new game was focused on being an MMO, multi-player or micro-transition based. This wasn’t our style and we couldn’t generate interest in the classical narrative type of RPG that we all grew up making and playing. Thank you for backing our vision once again and we will not let you down. We will continue to communicate and and make sure we solicit input such that the game is hitting all the right notes.

Our goal is to make great RPGs for you all for the rest of our careers.

Thank you,

Brian Fargo and the team at inXile

I loved Planescape!  The terrible combat and clunky dialogue system is forgiven by that sublime and awesome writing.  The premise behind the setting, a world where a belief can literally change the entire world and magic is the art of mentally bending reality to your whims.  It's a shame that it was so unlucky when it came out...

Back
Top Bottom