The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Can The Witcher 3 beat skyrim?

• Yes Indeed

Votes: 186 86.5%
  • No Of course

Votes: 51 23.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Geralt is meant to speak like that though, he is meant to be be calm, reserved, put and not very emotional in anything he does, I think that's what they were aiming for and delivered on exceptionally well - without making him feel bland.

Well, he isn't supposed to have any emotions, no? Even though he still has some, he technically isn't supposed to feel anything at all.
Can't remember if it was just due to training or some of the things they actively did to him with their alchemy though.

Yeah, I think that's about right. I'd honestly need some refreshment on that, been a while since I beat the first Witcher, but it is definitely to do with what they did to him to make him a witcher.

Yea, I said charmingly. It just amuses me that he comes off as a medieval-fantasy Duke-Nukem-esque gravel-voiced character sometimes. Which isn't to say he shows no emotion; just that his delivery is amusing in a charming way.

Ninja. May be what Wellen said; I don't know anything about the lore beyond what is explained in the games.

Well in short, the whole Yennefer and Ciri thing weren't supposed to happen if his training/conditioning had gone "right" and there are some moments in the books where he is questioning his value and future as a Witcher if he can't even get that right. Or so my memory insist.
Of course the whole thing falls flat anyway as for some weird plot-hole  reason apparently friendship and camaraderie are exempt, but whatever, I probably just don't remember it completely right.

Actually the books have some really cool details about how Witchers are made, or were made, that I hope we'll explore some more in this game. Given that from the trailers it seems to be a plot point that the Emperor offers Geralt the same deal he offered Leto kicking off W2's story, there's some great potential for this.

It doesn't seem any Witcher is devoid of emotion as far as I can tell. Though I'm reading through the books right now and I'm only on the Blood of Elves.
It may be that they're suppressed somewhat and further toned down through self discipline. Or maybe everyone just has varying levels of success during the trials.

Geralt is flat and somewhat boring, yeah, but it doesn't matter much because the supporting characters generally do a very good job. Roche and especially Iorveth in Witcher 2 were bloody excellent.

EDIT: That Godling quest thingie is pretty funny. I can understand why the Harpies stole his voice.

I think part of the "witchers don't have emotions" thing may be just propaganda, probably started by the witchers themselves to justify their claims of neutrality, until they actually ended up believing it, and then magnified by people who wanted to see them as inhuman. Of course there is still training and conditioning and drugs, but I don't think they're completely stripped of emotions. It wouldn't be the first piece of witcher propaganda: remember that "witcher code" wich in one of the books Geralt claims to be made up by him to be able to back up from jobs he doesn't like?

Yeah, it is.

I was surprised because I thought it was a card game of sorts, not a MOBA.

Anyway, from the site:

Designed by CD PROJEKT RED and developed by Fuero Games, The Witcher Battle Arena is scheduled to launch sometime in Q4 2014 on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and Windows (Tablets), with free future updates planned to expand the game both in terms of number of characters, gameplay modes and more.

Oh boy, a Witcher MOBA. So original. Honestly it angers me that people still waste good money making these games - I never really liked MOBAs but now I hate them thanks to crap like this, the Hobbit cash-in one and the fact that Sins of a Solar Empire 2 will probably never happen thanks to Ironclad putting many of their eggs in a ****ty MOBA basket.

"Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post."

Yeah, the Witcher 3 will totally come out bad just because CDProjekt decided to outsource a mobile Witcher game.

Oh, let's hate a genre because of bad games within it too.

What's up with that logic?

SacredStoneHead said:
Yeah, the Witcher 3 will totally come out bad just because CDProjekt decided to outsource a mobile Witcher game.

Oh, let's hate a genre because of bad games within it too.

What's up with that logic?

Because I totally said or even implied the first part. And as for hating a genre I've given a fairly decent reason as to why I personally dislike it and how it is even now negatively impacting other areas of the industry.

Ljas said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
people still waste good money making these games
Are you kidding? Making an ARTS for mobile is basically free money.

Firstly the only resemblance it has to an RTS is in the perspective of the game, secondly, time will tell if that is true but it's been my experience that the most "free money" to be had from mobile games comes from either gimmicky, quick, easy-to-play low-cost games like Angry Birds, microtransaction-based F2P games like Candy Crush, or a combination of the two. There is nothing about a MOBA that will appeal to the largest portion of a mobile audience that will mean it will be "free money".

It's better than ARTS at any rate, since I find Quake has more in common on the essential level to a MOBA than an RTS does, namely, that it's a game where victory is won primarily through mechanical execution and repetition. Most non-Blizzard RTS games have significantly more nuance.

Regardless of that, there's a more applicable category which can be applied to Quake, namely, FPS. Such a designation doesn't really exist for DOTA-likes, and so therefore MOBA is as good as any and certainly better than ARTS, especially since Smite proves that if anything, the aspects that the genre shares with RTS games aren't even integral elements.

Back
Top Bottom