Can The Witcher 3 beat skyrim?

• Yes Indeed

Votes: 186 86.5%
  • No Of course

Votes: 51 23.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

SacredStoneHead said:
The difficulty is not much the problem, it is the japanese-y style of the game that turns me off.

What exactly is japanese-y about it? The way they handle certain interface sounds, inventory navigation and the scale and to some extent the style of the bosses, which is one of the things japanese games do very right in my eyes.

The weapons and armors themselves are very western, I daresay even European, more so than most western games even. I would even say the vast majority of monsters is "western".

YourStepDad said:
What exactly is japanese-y about it? The way they handle certain interface sounds, inventory navigation and the scale and to some extent the style of the bosses, which is one of the things japanese games do very right in my eyes.

The weapons and armors themselves are very western, I daresay even European, more so than most western games even. I would even say the vast majority of monsters is "western".
The oversized ****e. Be it armours or weapons.
It put me off as well, quite a lot actually.
To the point where I picked it off at 75% and still wasn't sure if I hadn't wasted that money.

But what Orion said, I just love everything about the bosses and a lot of the enemies in general. They went all out with some of the freaky stuff and thus created something a lot more interesting than yet another bog-standard European landscape filled with elves that are humans with slightly distorted faces and the usual assortment of wolves.
All the while managing to make it feel right in itself.

You mean where you shoot the ballista? Yeah, that was really annoying. Primarily because there's a bunch of crossbowmen hidden away behind barricades and such that are really easy to miss and that shoot you with invisible projectiles. And also the underground section with drowners or whatever the game calls them. I walked in there, the camera zoomed in to give me a look at the new monster, then the monster immediately jumped at me and one-shot me. Is that how it's supposed to be in Dark Mode? I one-shot everything, everything one-shots me?

Oh, and I just ran into a really weird bug where a dead guy's trousers kept switching color from green to red and vice versa depending on how I turned my camera. Lolwut.

Yeah, rule of thumb for Darkmode is that if you have the choice between health and more damage, take the damage.
Expect to die in two hits to anything but the most ordinary enemies.

New CGI teaser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

Man, I love their CGI stuff, the intro to the Expanded Edition of Witcher 2 was so awesome and this one is absolutely on par.

That was seriously ****ing awesome.

I liked the atmosphere in the scene too, it felt like the first Witcher's Outskirts, lynching Abigail and so forth. Hope they go back to that kind of setting.

Nice CGI.

I've heard there aren't going to be loading screens, so it makes me think. They refer to their open world as 'multi-region'. Now, I take this to mean one of two things, their open world simply includes a few different region types, like plains, tundra, coast, etc... Or, the world is split into several areas, e.g. you complete everything in region one then you go through a gate, or pass and load the next region where you can do what ever you want, until it is all done and you move to the next one.

No doubt i'm over thinking it, but a world that big without loading screens, either they're not telling us something, or they've truly done it.

Havoc said:
e.g. you complete everything in region one then you go through a gate, or pass and load the next region where you can do what ever you want, until it is all done and you move to the next one.
Hope this isn't the case.

Havoc said:
No doubt i'm over thinking it, but a world that big without loading screens, either they're not telling us something, or they've truly done it.

Two words for you: level streaming.

Wellenbrecher said:
New CGI teaser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

Man, I love their CGI stuff, the intro to the Expanded Edition of Witcher 2 was so awesome and this one is absolutely on par.

That's absolutely awesome. "I'm killing monsters". Dat line  :eek:

Havoc said:
I've heard there aren't going to be loading screens, so it makes me think. They refer to their open world as 'multi-region'. Now, I take this to mean one of two things, their open world simply includes a few different region types, like plains, tundra, coast, etc... Or, the world is split into several areas, e.g. you complete everything in region one then you go through a gate, or pass and load the next region where you can do what ever you want, until it is all done and you move to the next one.

That's exactly the concern I brought up earlier. Like I said, the way they phrased it immediately made me suspect that it's marketing doublespeak.

Nahkuri said:
I'm hoping it's the first option Havoc described. Like in Skerm or Nehrim.

The second option fits with the progression style of the previous games, though, and I feel like it could be better for a game set in a major conflict. Fallout New Vegas had a major conflict throughout the course of the game (Caesar's Legion and the NCR), and you could waltz into any of their camps or fortresses as long as you took the time to walk there, with the only exceptions being those that were progression-locked (like those at the very end of the quest lines). To me, it made the faction encampments feel like roadblocks rather than significant places. "Oh, it's a Legion camp, whoop-dee-doo, time to shoot everyone here and move on."

I had the same problem in Skyrim, with the scattered Stormcloak and Imperial camps and various forts. The forts were always there, I could always walk into them, and they were all pretty much alike. Nobody cared if you walked up to them. When I got a mission to go clear one out, I sighed, fast-travelled, and threw fireballs in a place I had seen a dozen times already. There wasn't anything new or exciting or different about it, and it wasn't a milestone like capturing a fort should be. It wasn't "woo, I captured a FORT!" it was "oh, now the NPCs here wear red instead of blue."

Nahkuri said:
I'm hoping it's the first option Havoc described. Like in Skerm or Nehrim.
Hm, I'm not so sure I'd like that. Hypothetical question time. Skyrim does have a seamless overworld, but every interior is behind a loading screen. What if the world of TW3 is divided between several areas, say half a dozen or so, with loading screens in between, but the areas themselves are truly open and seamless, including transitions from exteriors to interiors? Would you still prefer the Skyrim approach?

Back
Top Bottom