New Map (Name Undecided)

Users who are viewing this thread

Introduction
The last time I attempted to make a map, my computer broke the next week. Of course the map was completely erased along with the computers life, which completely demoralised me from ever bothering again. After a month or more of not playing PW, I finally purchased a new gaming computer. I didn't get straight back to PW, naturally I tried all the games I could only dream of playing before. After a couple of days I decided to take a look on a server (I won't name it), and by god the map was terrible, just the mountains looked alright (one however looked like a deformed breast). I didn't bother checking RCC, I have a hatred for The Valley of Swamps (which they have run since the dawn of man). So I checked some over servers with mild but loyal populations, the maps were just as terrible. Today I managed to fix my Warband files; there was an error that erased all traces of any map I attempted. Now I can finally get back to it, I'm hoping to give something different, but balanced at the same time. It will be completely designed for the structure of the current version, and will be engineer friendly. My regards to Splintert (though we may disagree sometimes), who I feel is the only other but me who has tried his best to fit his maps into the design of the current versions.

Aim
My aim is to create a map that will shift map makers and players out of the old beta 2 mindset: which is to make iron the main source of income and the centre of the economy.

The General Layout
After finishing the terrain, I will start work on the main town and outlaw camp. My plan is to build chapels dotted around the map (preferably near to castles and towns) that have gardens of herbs, flax, and pens where animals can be purchased cheaply and not at the exhausting price of 4k or more. Near to these will be the tools needed for crafting, surrounded by a small number of armour stockpiles and a slightly larger number of weapon stockpiles. If there are too many stockpiles, engineers worry too much about the stock on each pile, so they end up spreading out their work to make each stockpile have around 2-3 items on average. There will be many trees, but more concentrated in the areas where they are needed, meaning fewer in the countryside which I'm hoping will makes the lives of players with low end computers much better. Iron will be in abundance, some will be on the island, some will be near the outlaw camp, and there will be smaller mines dotted around. Iron prices will be at around 500, cheaper for engineers and a reasonable income for serfs. I won't concentrate much on taverns, but there should be 2. Other role-playing eye candy will be left until last.

Screenshots of the early terrain layout

Overhead View

Screenshot Batch#1

Engineer Friendly. Good Luck! I hope this is the map that will finally break the Iron mindset!

Good Luck to you. Generally I agree with what you said about maps. I was equally disappointed.

Just one tip: "...and pens where animals can be purchased cheaply and not at the exhausting price of 4k or more". There is reason for it. You do not buy just ONE ANIMAL. You buy heard of them. Once animal is bought it start to reproduce in the same way like free one set by mapmaker. I believe I got it right and If I well remember my testing and Vornne comments confirm it.

Maps we have now failing because of lack of testing and understanding of "industry". The most common:
- Lack of wells next to fields which would need water as well as bakery or brewery. Prices of simple bucket are ridicules.
- Lack of exports imports and stockpiles of basic resources -> this lead to stealmate in many cases FIX
- Lack of planning  and "overloading" one room with random stockpiles. -> unnecessary running around and searching for basics.

Good point, but I think that animal reproduction takes too long. I will maybe reduce the price to around 1k, which I think is reasonable. Thanks for raising the fact though.

NOVICIUS said:
NP.Sry for misteake and there is a fix:

Lack of exports imports and stockpiles of basic resources -> this lead to stealmate in many cases
Exports can be useful too, when the stockpiles have reached full (if this is the case on some servers) serfs goods are useless. I agree with imports, I personally think their should be tool imports costing a significant amount of money if the player base makes the mistake of using up all the tools without re-crafting them.

Screenshots updated

Love it. Small is beatifull  :grin:

It is nice to see som carts here. It is really annoying on VoS that you have to fight over it. There is no limits here (saying that we have to still test influence of number carts,sacks,etc on map FPS, while on populeted server). Generally I believ it is better to put them on in numbers and then remove it if thats an issue.

Screenshots will be updated again tomorrow, today I did a hell of a lot of work. I'm hoping to move on to the second castle by tonight, but I want to take my time perfecting the castle.

Back
Top Bottom