New Map (Journey)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the guys that responded to my other map HERE as it got me motivated to start mapping again. This time I have completed this map and been testing it for the past few days. I started this last Wednesday, so its come along nicely. This map will be launched on LCC's Aussie Persistent RP server this Friday morning.

A lot of maps we have used in the past, have given little need for protection for anyone looking to mine or collect resources. Sometimes the mines are so close to a faction castle that meta-gaming allows for protection to arrive if the miner falls into trouble quite quickly and easily. I was looking for a design that might cater for the need for extra role play in this regard. The map basically consists of three areas. The main city in the middle, the factions around and one third is dedicated just to resources. The Gold/Silver locations are high up on the snow mountain, however an engineer is sure to be required to cross the broken bridge. Iron is only found on this side of the map also. Resources such as Animal Spawns & Grapes are also better found on this side of the world. Note that almost all resources (except iron, gold and silver) are still available throughout the map, just in smaller quantities.

Each faction has been tailored in a way that each has an advantage over another but yet a disadvantage also. Such as one faction having great armour choices, whilst lacking in weapons and horses, and so the combinations change with each other faction. This is a full size map with all factions being used.

Commoners
Outlaws
Admin Faction
Town Watch
Shop Faction in the city (non capturable)
Village Faction (non capturable)
Stone Castle
Desert
Wooden
Underground Faction

Photos
overview.jpg

view1.jpg

City Center
market.jpg

City
city.jpg

Admin Banking
adminbank.jpg

Court House
court.jpg
shop1.jpg

Large collection of high end armour and weapons. Not buyable through grate, requires RP Sales person to buy and transfer items through chests on the counters
shop2.jpg

Upper level kitted out with most items they need, however venturing out is still a necessity.
shop3.jpg
arena.jpg

Desert
arena2.jpg
village1.jpg

village2.jpg
sargoth.jpg

Best melee weapons on the map (some found also in the shop)
weapons.jpg
crusader1.jpg

crusader2.jpg
underground1.jpg

Best armour on the map found here (some found in Shop faction also)
underground2.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions, if you have any feedback, sure to let me know!

Splintert said:
Looks great! I like the snowy looking mountain in the bottom left.
Thats the gold and Iron Mountain, quite a journey (hence the map name) to get there, since its through a maze of canyons and the engineer requirement for the gold/silver section.

foxcola55 said:
I agree, looks amazing! Question, what are outlaw/commoner classes like?

The Outlaws have the typical class poles and are situated along the very bottom of the land where the main city is. Apart from some minor things above ground, most is underground. Included is a prision with porticullis, and armoury etc. Note, I removed the Poisioned Daggers and Lock picks to an abandoned house in the "wilderness" side of the map. Some screenies:
outlaw1.jpg

prison.jpg

arms.jpg

The commoners have all the normal working classes, with the exception of Militia which has also been added. We are currently trialling our maps without high end fighting classes for commoner factions. Screenie of the commoner poles and some surrounding areas
http://loungechaircarnage.com.au/images/screenshots/map1/commoners.jpg[/img]

farm.jpg

import.jpg

Ah my pass reset on my account wont work, so using my other one.

Its 801kb. Didnt want to go over the 800, as it was 794 as of last night. However just prior to launch I added my prison (with droppable floors (trapdoors)) to the map which added the extra kb.

We've used a map before that was 814kb and it was fine (no one complained of any lag issues) however I was aiming to keep it under 800kb. Is there any advice here or experience with large maps?

Rhellings said:
We've used a map before that was 814kb and it was fine (no one complained of any lag issues) however I was aiming to keep it under 800kb. Is there any advice here or experience with large maps?

Many details = Stylish lookLess details = Less lag

For those of you who own a comparatively new PC it shouldn't be much of a problem, but for those who still use older machines (like my humble self) it can be a pain in the ***.
There is not really a non-radical way to reduce the size significantly, I guess you ll just have to leave it like this.

yeah hopefully it acts okay for most, time will tell.

Although it is slightly larger then the map we have been using. Plus a few trees, some extra detail removed and it will easily fall below!

Thank you again GloVine, everyone that plays NA loves your map and appreciates what you have done for the PW community!!! <3<3<3

Hi thar GloVine,

Few things i noticed with the map that i brought up to peasant but i figured ill just post them anyway.

#1) Pinecrest has the iron gate blocking the castle flag which prevents anyone from taking the village over unless a faction member opens it. Perhaps replace it with a wooden breakable door?
#2) I love the concept of the shop and i really like when RP'ers actually use its function but most of the time its not the case. Half of the time that faction is at war with someone so it causes a mass spawn killing session since the spawn is outside where the enemy would be, also the flag is on the roof and un reachable for anyone. If this is meant to be a pure peaceful faction may perhaps a different method of set up for the faction? Like no warrior class other than say...footman? That way they can sell their equipment in the place and not have archers to just shoot at people.
#3) Rebellions against TW are almost impossible. The only way to rebel properly is to shoot at each other in the town. Naturally with the commoner spawn int he square commoners get shot and such. Legolan had an idea of making a buildable ladder somewhere on the town watches walls that rebels can build. Or maybe just replace the iron gates with some sort of wooden ones similar to the current shop.

I do love the map and I really like the set up of the factions and such. I would only like to see some of the above changes to perhaps ensure a more player appeasing playing method. (aka war war war war less RP  :cry: )

Top hit the issues right on the nose, but one more glitch.  All the animals on the map get stuck in a hole that is in the top of a mountain. I will show you or SS it.

Edit:  Pretty much every room that has bars for doors causes huge problems during wars and raids.  Only real set back, everyone loves it though.  Kind hard on the server, been having some times of lag and drop outs like once every 5 days, but that could just be the host. 

#1) Pinecrest has the iron gate blocking the castle flag which prevents anyone from taking the village over unless a faction member opens it. Perhaps replace it with a wooden breakable door?
The original idea of the faction was a peaceful non capturable faction, that didnt have any strong melee or ranged classes (militia and huntsman classes only) which could be easily raided. On the original version of the map, the flag was not capturable, however after a discussion and vote within our gaming community, we opted to change it and make it capturable, however we wanted to make it harder for raiding by requiring a lock pick.

#2) I love the concept of the shop and i really like when RP'ers actually use its function but most of the time its not the case. Half of the time that faction is at war with someone so it causes a mass spawn killing session since the spawn is outside where the enemy would be, also the flag is on the roof and un reachable for anyone. If this is meant to be a pure peaceful faction may perhaps a different method of set up for the faction? Like no warrior class other than say...footman? That way they can sell their equipment in the place and not have archers to just shoot at people.
Our community generally uses the shop to its potential and purpose, which is meant for a non capturable RP shop faction which generally doesnt go to war. The decision not to include strong melee classes like footman, was there to deter any fighting, leaving the Lord class to be the higher tier salesperson, otherwise the archer and master smith classes can handle the rest of the items. With the limited space of the shop, we felt putting spawns inside would interfere with New life rules due to the one way in and out access point.

#3) Rebellions against TW are almost impossible. The only way to rebel properly is to shoot at each other in the town. Naturally with the commoner spawn int he square commoners get shot and such. Legolan had an idea of making a buildable ladder somewhere on the town watches walls that rebels can build. Or maybe just replace the iron gates with some sort of wooden ones similar to the current shop.
Unfortunately our version of the town watch, is an invite only system that is not capturable. Players are welcomed to RP a rebellion however are not able to take over the town watch faction.

Edit:  Pretty much every room that has bars for doors causes huge problems during wars and raids.  Only real set back, everyone loves it though.  Kind hard on the server, been having some times of lag and drop outs like once every 5 days, but that could just be the host.
Cell doors are on every castle's money rooms, not the flags. This was also discussed by our community and we felt that it was already too easy for outlaws to just break down the doors and get in, so the latest version of the map was updated to have cell doors for the money chest rooms to encourage the outlaws to work harder for their gold.

GloVine said:
Our community generally uses the shop to its potential and purpose, which is meant for a non capturable RP shop faction which generally doesnt go to war. The decision not to include strong melee classes like footman, was there to deter any fighting, leaving the Lord class to be the higher tier salesperson, otherwise the archer and master smith classes can handle the rest of the items. With the limited space of the shop, we felt putting spawns inside would interfere with New life rules due to the one way in and out access point.

Theres a way to capture the shop actually. If u jump off the wall of the TW u can jump through the sections of the wall and actually get up there. In the next version if u update the map i would suggest just lowering the wall or adding an invisible wall there so people cant cap the faction and get on the roofs.

with the town sitting on a floating rock, fighting tends to lag a lot, and since no one uses the tunnel under the city (at least that I have seen) could it be placed on solid ground?

avenged_sevenfold said:
with the town sitting on a floating rock, fighting tends to lag a lot, and since no one uses the tunnel under the city (at least that I have seen) could it be placed on solid ground?

I agree with all said above besides the unuse of the tunnel.

I really like the map so far but...
  • i would love a map with tags on it, showing the castles villages, and notable landmarks.
  • I like that travel is a necessity.
  • I would like a bit more open space for some cav battles (I know you all hate them but just stay off the plains bro)
  • i wish that the village faction had at least like a Sergeant, crossbowman, archer or something.
  • and some more nice spots to fish.
Overall having a lot of fun with it on the US_PW_TROJAN_RP server, really enjoying it, my favorite faction is the village one by the way (probably guessed :oops:)

P.S. where can i find a butcher's cleaver? none in the village.

Back
Top Bottom