FPS DROP - FIX (NVIDIA CARDS)

Users who are viewing this thread

mss

Recruit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE SOLUTION TO THE LATEST NVIDIA FPS-DROP ISSUES
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rollback your nVidia drivers to 301.42 and this problem disappears.

PLEASE FORUM MODS: This needs to be stickied!!! I've seen alot of unanswered  (or poorly answered)
posts about frame-drop and only a few suggestions with no real clear answer.

SO HERE IT IS.

Rollback your nVidia drivers to 301.42 and get the performance you're supposed to be
getting. I can now maintain a capped 50fps in areas with buildings and 25+ soldiers in view with
ALL settings maxed out in DX9 and 2x AA and I only run a Q6600 nVidia GTS 250 5GB mem. system.

If I can get some spare time, I will try out your suggestion and see if it works! :smile:
Thanks for the effort to find out and post it here.

Sounds good to me. I would love to hear from anybody this helps out. I went from a lousy 20-30fps near buildings / bodies to a solid 60 after I raised the cap. The real kicker is you can play native without rolling back and it still runs smooth as usual. Something in the new drivers broke NW's performance for nVidia cards. I did find the suggestion to roll back drivers in another forum post, but it wasn't a quick or easy find and it definitely isn't the first suggestion you find when looking.

I'm confirming that this does work and seconding that request for a sticky.  It also solves WFaS exhibiting the same behaviour.

I can confirm this solution helped me aswell. I had loads of trouble with fps lags, even on Groupfighting servers where the fps are usually quite good, I had around 40 fps.

What I did to fix it:

1. Download the driver version 301.42. I personally used this link: http://www.nvidia.de/object/win7-winvista-64bit-301.42-whql-driver-de.html but there might be others available aswell.
2. When the download is finished run the downloaded file.
3. Click on complete reinstallation. This removes all former nVidia files and afterwards installs only the version you want to have (which is 301.42). Since all settings get deleted it might be useful to make a screen of the settings if you are not using the default settings.
4. After the installation is completed check in the nVidia systemsettings which version is installed. If 301.42 is shown there the installation was successfull. It might be that you have to adjust some smaller things again (therefore the screen at point 3. should be made). Maybe a restart of the PC is needed.
5. Now try to start Mount and Blade. There will be the usual pop up. But instead of clicking on play you should go to "Configure" and change your maximum fps rate to something around 150-200 (depending on how good your PC is).

Now your game should work fps-lag free again.
Atleast it did for me.

P.S. I can't guarantee you that this solution is working.

Can we just get a patch that does this for us.

I may be a one in a million player who plays other games besides Napoleonic Wars but its redundant as hell that I have to roll back from 311.xx to 301.42 every time I want to play this game.

Every one of my other games auto updates my drivers when I try and play them.

Games that auto update your drivers? Are you thinking of Direct X perhaps?
Because games don't update/install graphic, network or sound drivers.
That would be very annoying, considering that not every game runs on the same driver(s).

Also, games are released for drivers that are out at that moment. Developers cannot see into the future and know what changes with future drivers.
Incompatibility happens quite often with games and drivers, though from what I know it really is up to companies like NVIDIA to fix it. Which to my knowledge they usually do.

Hadhod said:
I can confirm this solution helped me aswell. I had loads of trouble with fps lags, even on Groupfighting servers where the fps are usually quite good, I had around 40 fps.

What I did to fix it:

1. Download the driver version 301.42. I personally used this link: http://www.nvidia.de/object/win7-winvista-64bit-301.42-whql-driver-de.html but there might be others available aswell.
2. When the download is finished run the downloaded file.
3. Click on complete reinstallation. This removes all former nVidia files and afterwards installs only the version you want to have (which is 301.42). Since all settings get deleted it might be useful to make a screen of the settings if you are not using the default settings.
4. After the installation is completed check in the nVidia systemsettings which version is installed. If 301.42 is shown there the installation was successfull. It might be that you have to adjust some smaller things again (therefore the screen at point 3. should be made). Maybe a restart of the PC is needed.
5. Now try to start Mount and Blade. There will be the usual pop up. But instead of clicking on play you should go to "Configure" and change your maximum fps rate to something around 150-200 (depending on how good your PC is).

Now your game should work fps-lag free again.
Atleast it did for me.

P.S. I can't guarantee you that this solution is working.

Thank you for going into such depth. I'm sure people who don't know what to do is blessing you!

MaHuD said:
Games that auto update your drivers? Are you thinking of Direct X perhaps?
Because games don't update/install graphic, network or sound drivers.
That would be very annoying, considering that not every game runs on the same driver(s).

Also, games are released for drivers that are out at that moment. Developers cannot see into the future and know what changes with future drivers.
Incompatibility happens quite often with games and drivers, though from what I know it really is up to companies like NVIDIA to fix it. Which to my knowledge they usually do.

Whenever I launch a game on steam after playing Napoleonic wars it will automatically update my graphic drivers. I don't know why it does what it does.

And Nvidia hasn't done anything for this despite the fact that people have been complaining about low FPS on any nvidia driver above 301.42 for a while now.

VehoNex said:
Can we just get a patch that does this for us.

I may be a one in a million player who plays other games besides Napoleonic Wars but its redundant as hell that I have to roll back from 311.xx to 301.42 every time I want to play this game.

Every one of my other games auto updates my drivers when I try and play them.

Hey there!

Which other games are auto-updating it? Are you sure its them?

Because for me it was Windows Update which just redownloaded the new patches over and over again and automatically installed it (which was a damn pain in the ass). You should check if its the same problem for you. If that is the case just change the update settings to manual, so you can always select which updates shall be installed. Of course you have to check more often then if new updates are available.

I cannot apply this fix apparently that driver is not compatible with windows 7 ultimate now i cant play the game i wasted money on...

No not really. Just any of the older ones should work. At some point NVIDIA dropped support and it caused some people's warband to malfunction. So older drivers should work.

awesome_noobie said:
I cannot apply this fix apparently that driver is not compatible with windows 7 ultimate now i cant play the game i wasted money on...

I too have windows 7 64 bit ultimate and am having the same issue...even though the drivers I attempt to install say they'refor my current version on Windows.

Thank you mss, for the solution.

Thank you Hadhod, for detailed explanation.

And thanks to Moogs i could find this topic (he directed people to here in another topic).

That worked  :smile:

I'm having a problem with installing NVIDIA 301.42, whenever I do I get messed up things going on. I have windows 8 and when I had windows 7 I had the autoupdate issue and the last time I installed it and restarted the computer, no program would start at all. When I got windows 8 and install 301.42, messed up things happen like instead of letters weird squares and things like that appear, or on the internet instead of saying the website name on the tab, squares and shapes appear. Do you have any solutions?

I am about to test this out. Note: You cannot use Legacy Drivers to get the same effect. I am lagging and I have those installed right now.

Back
Top Bottom