PREVIOUS EVENT: Battle of Val-ès-Dunes

Users who are viewing this thread

After a while, here is the long awaited ending to the event.

Willelme and his men marched to meet Gui and his rebel army at Val-es-Dunes and the first charge made by the loyalists broke the line of Gui and his force and forced him to make a retreat. Willelme decided to pursue rather than wait for his ally, Henri Capet, King of France who was a few miles behind. This, though, was a mistake. Gui not only beat back Willelme’s attack but sent him running towards Berengville which is where Willelme met up with King Henri and the now mainly French loyalist army fought a desperate battle with the rebels. The historian, Roman de Rou, record the desperate battle:

Great is the clamour and hard the strife; the swords are drawn, the lances clash. Many were the vassals to be seen there fighting, sergeants and knights overthrowing one another. The king himself was struck and beat down off his horse. A Norman whom no one knew had come up among them; he thought that if the king should fall, his army would soon be dispersed; so he struck at him 'de travers,' and overthrew him, and if his hauberk had not been very good, in my opinion he would have been killed. On this account the men of that country said, and yet say, jeering,

From Costentin came the lance That struck down the King of France.

And if their knight had got clear away, they might well pass with their jeer. But when he tried to go off, and his horse had begun its course, a knight came pricking, and hit him, striking him with such violence as to stretch him out at full length. And he soon fared still worse than even that; for as he recovered himself, and would have mounted his horse, and had laid his hand on the saddle bow, the throng increased around, and bore him from the saddle, throwing him down; and the horses trod him underfoot, so that they left him there for dead.

There was great press to raise the king up, and they soon remounted him. He had fallen among his men, and was no way hurt nor injured: so he arose up nimbly and boldly; never more so. As soon as he was on horseback, many were the vassals who were again to be seen striking with lance and sword; Frenchmen assaulting Normans, and Normans turning, dispersing, and moving off the field: and the king showed himself everywhere in order to encourage his men, as he had been seen to fall.

With his men seeing their King was not dead, the French charged and defeated the rebel forces of Gui. But the baron himself was not killed. He had knew he could not face the French and so retreated to Brionne to make one final stand against Willelme and his powerful ally.
And so the war for Normandy continued...

Here is a full account of Roman De Rou for you:

- Historical account of Roman de Rou

The event was won by the rebel side indeed, but historically the duke had the french army led by the king rushing to his aid from the south-east and even though it is said that the king himself was dismounted during the fighting at one point, the rebels eventually were forced back by the combined armies of William and king Henry.
According to the descriptions of the battle a certain baron named Raoul Tesson actually changed sides shortly before the battle and defected to Williams side, attacking his former allies from the rear, which probably didn't make it more easy for them, but we decided not to represent that part in the event^^

I can only point everyone to the third post of the thread again, with the historical sources:
Moeckerkalfie said:

I propose that the next event where William (as our community player) plays as the historical William and he's the main leader of his side and loses, he officially gets his character killed. :razz:

Dodged true death 2 times now, huh? One could think you're a vampire and unleash fanatics upon you. Anyways, would be fun and make these end result of these events more exciting as he's an established member. Such as I propose the same for other events where other known characters lose in more than 1 successive event. The implications wouldn't be too big, a name change and a RP explanation for the new character you're playing and if you inherit the title of your former character.

Harkon Haakonson said:
I propose that the next event where William (as our community player) plays as the historical William and he's the main leader of his side and loses, he officially gets his character killed. :razz:

Dodged true death 2 times now, huh? One could think you're a vampire and unleash fanatics upon you. Anyways, would be fun and make these end result of these events more exciting as he's an established member. Such as I propose the same for other events where other known characters lose in more than 1 successive event. The implications wouldn't be too big, a name change and a RP explanation for the new character you're playing and if you inherit the title of your former character.

This.

But Willelme's actual character is not the historical duke of Normandy - why should this character's existence be connected to events concerning the duke? To me, the suggestion makes not much sense.

Yeah, we already had an event where Willelme's actual duke persona *was* destroyed.  :mrgreen:

I agree it wouldn't work for this event, but it might be an interesting idea for future fictional events.

Wait a minute. If this is fictional, then i can be queen of France! Nah just kidding, but i like idea for future events ^_^

There was once a project that involved something like a browser game, where different lands would be held by different Vikingr clans, they would wage wars on each other and form alliances, and battles would be fought as clanmatches (and if the battle was big enough to include pubes) massive events. It would be something like Strategus for cRPG, wouldn't it be delightful? And we already have that cool map Smiley has drawn. Anyone with any multiplayer browser game experience? :razz:

And a full campaign map with historical shires.  :razz:
It is a shame that I started development of it so late in the day with Vikingr, our impetus and drive to continue in Warband had all but evaporated by then.

Starting to get really off topic, but thought I should mention that there is an even more recent attempt at this. As a matter of a fact, I think this discussion should continue on there to begin with. I for one am really intrigued to see where this could lead, as it would undoubtedly be one hell a lot of fun campaign to participate in.

Any info on any future events? Was never really able to join them earlier because of hardware issues but currently I think I can join them.

Back
Top Bottom