BIT Tournament Rules & Discussion POLL: PM Scheduling Info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The purpose of this thread is to discuss the new BIT (Battle Innovation Tournament) rules that are upcoming. Some of the new rules are here to stay, as I'm hell-bent on being innovative (people are naturally resistant to change) but others I'm willing to be much more flexible with. I'm happy to put it to a vote for discussion and debate. As I'd like this to be an intelligent discussion, voting will not be done via poll, rather by posting Vote: X with X being your answer choice. Remember to bold, else it's a bit hard to see in a wall of text. This may be tedious, but it stops random people or Europeans from voting and forces people to at least look at the end of the thread to vote. I'm not opposed to European votes, but I don't want an influx of them clicking whatever sounds best.

So here are the votes:

Monday 12/2/12: How long should round times be?
Vote A: 6 minutes (incumbent)
Vote B: 5 minutes (proposed change)

Tuesday 12/3/12: How many rounds should be played before a swap?
Vote A: 4 rounds total (incumbent)
Vote B: 5 rounds total (proposed change)

Wednesday 12/4/12: Should wins be based on total maps or rounds?
Vote A: Maps (incumbent)
Vote B: Rounds (proposed change)

Thursday 12/5/12: Should all of the teams be allowed in the finals (see CJTT) or just the top 8?
Vote A: All. (incumbent)
Vote B: Top 8. (proposed change)

Friday 12/6/12: Should all scheduling information be forced to be PM'd to me?
Vote A: No. (incumbent)
Vote B: Yes. (proposed change)

Please vote only for the day that it currently is. Being off with a few hours is alright, but I don't want Friday votes on Monday.

Here's the full rules. If it's not up there to vote on, then it means it's not changing.

Battle Innovation Tournament [BIT]

Ruleset:

The tournament will be round robin similar to the CJTT. Thanks to Calamity for running the tournament preceding this one.

A team of admins will be decided on. The "chief admin" as it may be is Eternal, and KissMyAxe and Tavi will form two of the admins. I will likely look for an admin team that altogether (not including myself) consists of 6.

- Teams will consist of a minimum of 9 players and a maximum of 12. Each team will have a 'team captain' and a 'co-captain'. These two members of the team will represent the teams, and in case of a dispute, they are responsible for representing the team. They are also the only two members of the team allowed to make map/faction choices in all chat, unless neither is present, in which case the team will nominate a representative.

- The tournament is designed with 7 player matches in mind. If both teams have 7 players, they are required to field 7. If both teams have more, they may choose to field more than 7 players, although this is at the team captain's discretion. Teams are discouraged from, but are allowed to, field 6 players and the other team must match their 6.

- Teams are allowed to substitute players, but must do this through PM and the player(s) substituted may not play for 2 days following the substitution.

- There will be a mercenary pool that will be both used as an 'advertising place' as well as a pool from which emergency substitutions can be drawn from. If a team can not field 6 players, then the team may emergency substitute a player from the mercenary pool. A mercenary in the mercenary pool may only play for any one team only once throughout the entire tournament. Teams may also only use an emergency substitute once per two matches. A team may only emergency substitute one player in this way. Teams are not forced to take a mercenary no matter their numbers, and may either play a 6v6 (if a 7th cannot be found) or may take a warning (if a 6th player cannot be found).

- Servers must be set to the following settings:

Fastest Speed
1000 Gold
6 Minute Rounds (360 seconds)
Friendly Fire to friend 100%
120 Minute Map Times

- Admins of the server must not abuse the server rules in any way which would give one team an advantage.

- Camera will be determined by both teams. If there is a dispute, the more limiting camera view wins.

- Common courtesy regarding server selection should be followed. The server should be selected to be giving roughly equal ping to both teams, discounting European players. Europeans will be expected to deal with 90-140 ping. If there is a dispute regarding server selection, speak to an admin for arbitration.

- If severe lag is experienced mid-match, then teams may change to a different server after a round of four (swap) is played out.

- Any spectators or observers outside of the team members and tournament admins must be approved by both team captains(or team representatives, in case the team captain is not present).

- Matches will be using what is conventionally called in the NA community the 'new NASTe' system designed by Orion. For in-depth information, consult this thread.

- The team on 'top' of the seed will select their map first. The team on bottom will select their faction, and following their decision, the team on top will select their faction. During Map 2 the team on bottom will select their map, the team on top will select their faction and then the team on bottom will select their faction. See Map 1 for choices for the tiebreaker map.

- Maps will be played to best of 8 rounds. After 4 rounds, the teams will swap factions & spawns, and the map will also be reset. Team 1 will take team 2's faction and spawn selection, and vice versa. Victory is determined by overall map wins. If two maps are played and the score is 1-1, a tiebreaker must be played.

- Reference the 'Map Classification' spoiler for each maps' classification. If the first team to choose their map chooses a map from one category, then that category may not be chosen again for the rest of the match.

- Factions chosen from the first map are 'locked out' from usage for the second map. Any factions may be used for the tiebreaker map, so long as they are not duplicate factions.

- Duplicate factions are not allowed. Neither are khergits.

- Random Plains, Arena, Battle on Ice, Canyon, Forest Hideout, Random Steppe and Random Desert are banned. In the place of Random Plains, four custom plains maps will be offered, and they will all be considered 'open' maps.

- The team that wins 2 maps wins the match.

- One match will be played per week. The rounds advance each Sunday, and each team is expected to have played the match by that Sunday @ 11:59 PM.  If a team requires a 3 day extension, then PM'ing me is advised and it may be granted. Longer extensions will not be granted and the team with the least effort dedicated towards successfully finding a time and place to play the match will forfeit.

- In case of an issue with scheduling, please contact a tournament administrator.

- The top 8 of the round robin tournament will be measured by best win/loss ratio, and then by total rounds win. They will participate in a single-elimination tournament that will last no longer than three weeks. No extensions will be granted, although it may be delayed if it falls on, say, a holiday week.

- Basic courtesy is to be followed during scrims. All chat spam, flaming, flamebaiting and excessive trolling are prohibited. If there is a behavior dispute, bring it to a tournament administrator. If it is declared that there was a behavior violation, a warning will be given. A team may have up to two warnings before being eliminated from the tournament entirely.

- If another rule violation is found, such as something that violates the fairness of play (ghosting) or directly breaks the game (hacking) then bring it to the tournament admins. Most violations will be dealt with the "two warnings" system although more serious violations may be handled differently.

- Scores are to be posted on the thread, preferably with screenshots, as soon as the match is concluded.

Open Maps:
Field by the River
Snowy Village
Custom Plains Maps

Closed Maps:
Village
Nord Town
Port Assault
Sandi'boush
Desert Town

Mixed Maps:
Ruins
Ruined Fort
Reveran Village
Frosty Battle

Banned Maps:
Random Plains
Random Desert
Random Steppes
Random Candyland
Arena
Battle on Ice
Canyon
Forest Hideout

Thanks to Orion's NASTe Season 2 Admin Team for the map classifications.

Keep in mind the sign-ups aren't there yet (it will go up Saturday) and the opening isn't quite spiffy yet. That'll be fixed. Any advice on clarifying the rules would be nice too. Anyways, go ahead and vote and discuss.

6 minutes

Edit: This should probably start after new years, thats a long time I know, but many many people will be away for christmas and new years etc

Just bad timing imo

WilySly said:
I just figured that if this is going to be called an "Innovation" tourney, we might as well include some dramatic changes, as opposed to just the standard gold/time/ minor rule haggling.

Pretty much sums up my views... there's nothing innovative about this tournament yet it has innovation in the name  :???:

I'd vote for A

Eternal said:
but it stops random people or Europeans from voting
I agree, dirty euro opinions aren't welcome here.

Vote A: 6 minutes

Whilst 5 minutes is enough time for most maps, there are still a couple (such as village) where it's all to easy for the rounds to drag out into a draw. With the random plains substitutes being fairly large I'm thinking 6 minutes might be better.

Gelden said:
Pretty much sums up my views... there's nothing innovative about this tournament yet it has innovation in the name  :???:

I've already got lynch mobs after me for removing Random Plains and doing 1000 gold. If I innovate any more I'm afraid I won't have a tournament.

Eternal said:
Revoked my vote for now because I'd like to have more information regarding the alternatives, specifically regarding the 5-minute rounds since 6 minutes are the standard on most battle servers (is that correct?). So, what happens to the MoTF when the rounds are 5 minutes? Does it still spawn at 2.30? Any other differences from 6 minutes?

WilySly said:
Also, why have we never adopted the maps listed at http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,236979.0.html?
I'm not sure if these maps were ever actually used in ENL....perhaps Lust could elaborate?
Would you like to play those maps in the tourney? Personally, I don't have any opinion about the maps, 'cause I haven't played them, but this:
Maynd said:
Those maps never went trough a proper testing phase, meaning, few clans tested them in scrims, so there was never a proper feedback is most of them.
worries me. I'd like to have new maps in the tournament, but they should be tested. You might be aware of the quality control we are subjecting the PiMP maps to. So, if you'd really like to see those maps, I might try to incorporate these maps into the playtests for PiMP. There are also a few custom maps on Balion_WarRoom (the mixed Solace and the open Day Light) that I think are very interesting and are worthy of being played in tournaments. However, currently there are less open maps than those of the other types, so I'm concentrating on making, playtesting and polishing open maps. But, if you really would like to have new maps in the mixed and closed categories, please, tell me, give specific suggestions and keep lining up for those playtests.

WilySly said:
I just figured that if this is going to be called an "Innovation" tourney, we might as well include some dramatic changes, as opposed to just the standard gold/time/minor rule haggling.
Gelden said:
RoBo_CoP said:
Good start, but I was hoping for more innovation. :/
If you're gonna make changes, go balls out!!
Okay, let's see if you guys are trolling :smile:
How about we allow Khergits? Seems innovative enough. And I'm not trolling. Dead serious

KissMyAxe said:
Revoked my vote for now because I'd like to have more information regarding the alternatives, specifically regarding the 5-minute rounds since 6 minutes are the standard on most battle servers (is that correct?). So, what happens to the MoTF when the rounds are 5 minutes? Does it still spawn at 2.30? Any other differences from 6 minutes?

Public servers are not really a good indication for time in competitive matches, due to number of players and a lack of team play. Waiting for flags is rarely considered in public play but quite prevalent in matches.

The flag spawns at 2:00 when the round time is 5 minutes, that's the only difference.

Vote: B

I was originally going to say A, but... seems like 70-80% of matches in recent memory have gone to waiting out MOTF -- so I'd rather just not have to wait as long  :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom