BIT Tournament Rules & Discussion POLL: PM Scheduling Info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pizza said:
I have a negative attitude towards this tournament because it's not CJ TT season 2. I feel bad saying that, but I also feel it needs to be said -- The last tournament was a success. Now you are changing things for no reason laudable reasons.

Just because the last tournament finished doesn't mean it should be copied identically for all future tournaments. I was actually pretty bored with a lot of the random plains gens. I was also somewhat annoyed by the idea of "re-rolling" random plains every time the sides swapped, which totally defeated the purpose of switching teams and spawns. Not only that, but depending on what server and who you were playing against, you had variable chances in getting the admins to actually re-roll when maps were unfair, or keep maps that were OK. Including "random plains" as a map choice means that it will be chosen for almost every single match at one point or another, and I'd MUCH rather see the WB community "battle-test" some of these new maps. And we will help build them into a set of great competitive maps.

Little disappointing to see people so vehemently opposed to changes. This is a somewhat obscure "niche" game -- there are no $5,000 prizes or E sports/etc., and there is no need play either on totally random or totally symmetrical maps. We should feel free to experiment for the sake of getting the most we can out of this game  :wink:

EDIT:

Yes yes, but you didn't explain why.

I counted at least 2 reasons  :lol:

Z3ro said:
RoBo_CoP said:
...create an arguement as to why Random Plains is a... map that should be used for competitive play.

1. I love the all the changes that his doing, but I greatly disagree with ban on random plains.
2. I like the changes, I am all for them, but the Ban on random plains is a unnecessary one and a terrible one.

RoBo_CoP said:
RoBo_CoP said:
Just because you like it, doesn't exactly mean it should be used for a fair and competitive tournament.

RoBo_CoP said:
you have to create an arguement as to why Random Plains is a positive and competitive map that should be used for competitive play.
I did, I created it with him in a ventrilo, he knows my argument towards why its a positive and competitive map.

Eternal said:
Friday 12/6/12: Should all scheduling information be forced to be PM'd to me?
Vote A: No. (incumbent) But, captains are encouraged to do so to facilitate fair conflict resolution.

(and I'll update this with my opinion on Random Plains vs. Pre-made Plains and "innovation for the sake of innovation" tonight)
Don't have time for that.

Z3ro said:
Dislike, your forcing people to choice Custom Plains, when they want random plains. No offense but I have a negative attitude towards this tournament now due to that.
Well no ****. If Orion ran opinion polling before NASTe season 1 everyone would just vote for exactly what K-BOOB had. Same thing here:

The Pizza said:
Eternal said:
The Pizza said:
I have a negative attitude towards this tournament because it's not CJ TT season 2. I feel bad saying that, but I also feel it needs to be said -- The last tournament was a success. Now you are changing things for no reason.
Yes, and so was K-TiT, K-BOOB and NASTe Season 1 and yet that's no excuse to keep a decadent system with no innovation going.

Not sure how the ruleset from CJTT was declining, decaying, or self-indulgent?

Yeah, not how sure the ruleset from K-BOOB, K-TIT, NASTe Season 1 and NASTe Season 2 were decaying either. They weren't. They were all strong rulesets with flaws that were fixed with the next iteration.

But there's an important leap between K-BOOB and NASTe and that revolves around the fact that Orion did not fix K-BOOB. He brought up an entirely new system with innovative quirks and new aspects and a ladder and all of the other fancy things that made that part of NA Community history great. We're still using it today despite the fact it has flaws, because it was innovative, brought new life into the game and was different. People get bored of the "same old ****" played over and over again. And for the most part, we've already played CJTT. It had nearly an identical ruleset to NASTE Season 2, and to me, it felt boring. Particularly near the ending. And playing the same thing over and over again will not draw new clans in, nor will it draw in new players to the community. The NA community is so small to the point where it must not get stagnant.

And I've already noted this in the OP, but people are naturally resistant to change. People will not willingly radically swap over to innovation. I will repeat, if Orion had taken opinion polling of the NA community for NASTE Season 1, we would've had K-BOOB again and a stagnant community. Even the 'small' polling I'm doing here, with just the people with at least a basic interest in the community, evidently shows (check the 'incumbents') how little people want to change.

Does that mean that 'Oh CJTT is good so leave it as it is'? Partially. Part of it is that, no, even if CJTT was bad people are still naturally resistant to change and like having what they're used to. But even if CJTT was good, and even let's say it is at the 'pinnacle' of balanced rulesets (which it is not) then we still need to change because the community can not just stay the same and play the same thing over and over again for another year.

In other news, I'm greenlighting Open Plains to be in the map pack and a (possible) replacement for Random Plains. I'm not entirely sure exactly why I forbid random plains and open plains being in the same map pack and both being options, so that's certainly being reconsidered. If random plains does make it in, however, there will definitely be a change in the way rerolls are done.

Also looks like B won for thursday, Friday up.

The maps are the only think I'm really against at the moment. I don't know if there are any other maps, but the few maps I have seen... make GK's maps look like heaven.

MrNomNom said:
You've gone from saying there are 10 rerolls per match to 50. Come on man.

:lol:

Seems like it most of the time

And like I said before theoretically with cliff texture rule then we could reroll a million times before finding a good map

Meanwhile...

Himalayan-Glaciers.jpg

Still though, people consider this competitive play, but are more than willing to let things hinge on the roll of dice...

Gelden said:
Eternal said:
If I feel the custom plains maps are not a satisfactory replacement for Random Plains, or do not have a sufficient strategic component (e.g. the strategy is to all-cav charge)

I don't buy the argument that All cav > all other loadouts on Random Plains.  I agree it's an effective strategy to use, especially if your team is loaded with stud cav players, but it's not the be all end all.  The only proof I can think of on tape that you can go watch is the CJT finals random plains map.  An all cav loadout was rarely used by either team, and it was negated if it was used.  There's plenty more examples of other viable strats on Random Plains, so the argument that it's causing narrow strategic circumstances is a total myth that some people seem to believe.
Whats wrong with all cav being a viable strategy anyways? Its like saying that all inf on nord town is bad...
All cav fights are alot of fun...

valent69 said:
John pls, the worst randomly generated maps are still better than most custom maps I've seen so far.

Now this is some unnecessary exaggeration. The custom maps that I've seen posted are pretty much the same as a standard "Random plains" roll, but the worst NATIVE "random plains" rolls end up looking like fields of incredibly steep, surreal, bulbous hills.

Remember the OP, OP:

(people are naturally resistant to change)

The way I'm choosing to handle it, as can be seen in the actual tournament thread:

- Random Plains can be played, but the map cannot be re-rolled unless both team captains agree, or if it would take more than 20 seconds for a cavalry to climb a single mountain on the map. This is, of course, subjective, but I believe the NA community knows full well what a 'ridiculous' map looks like compared to a legitimate plains map. Keep in mind this means that it is fine if 'cliff' textures are present, so long as they do not dominate the map.

Now let's move discussion over there, and lock this thread up.

Thank you all for voting and discussing. I appreciate the community contribution, and hope you enjoy my tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom