Author Topic: [WB] [B] The Desert Dancer  (Read 18857 times)

Dawiduh

• Squire
  • The sleep of reason creates monsters.
    • View Profile
    • David Stancu
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WB
[WB] [B] The Desert Dancer
« on: November 27, 2012, 05:34:34 AM »

a Dune MOD for Mount&Blade Warband

The game will follow loosly the first Dune book. It will cover a timespan from before the Atreides got Arrakis from the Harkonnen, the shot-lived Atreides governance, Harkonnen attack and rule, Fremen insurection and Atreides claiming the Imperial throne. After that is open ended, like the normal Warband.

The player will not play a given character from the books: it will be an annonymous traveller settling on Arrakis and trying to make do. This gives the opportunity to side with any of the factions, observe the events and decide to be (or not) part of them.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

To do list:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

If anyone is interested to join or help, please PM me. I do not need things done right away, I will not whip you into working. But if you volonteer to do something please state when can you work for it, and a deadline for what you undertake to do. I don't want you to forget about it, abandon work or take 5 months for a knife you said you'll do in 2 weeks.

I will have more time to dedicate myself completely to this project in late January, early February. Until then it is impossible for me to undertake any large-scale work (I mean coding).

12.03.2013 work slowed down because of office projects. Will focus mainly on 3D modeling for now.

Currently working as office time and free time permits.

(click to show/hide)

Team:

Dawiduh;

Credits:

FantasyWarrior for teaching me how to do the green bump maps.

Lumos for coding the force shield.

Rubik for his Code: The World Map to show the exact realm of factions

Xenoargh for his Crouch animation fix and Pistol code

Zsar for his [TWEAK] Fix the indictment death Spiral

Gutekfiutek for his amazing environment texture pack

HokieBT, Swyter, SheriffTheAvenger, MadVader and Slawomir of Aaarrghh for "the attack people in town script" here and here.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:27:45 PM by Dawiduh »

Ra'Jiska

• Napoleonic Wars Moderator
    • Steam - rajiska
    • View Profile
    • Github
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: Dodo
  • WF&SWBNWM&BVC
Re: [WB] [S] DUNE mod
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:07:18 AM »
Hmmm...
Let's see what it'll be, I don't really know the story of Dune.
Good luck with the mod  :D.
Flamer (n) : (pejorative): A very flamboyant, effeminate gay male.

Shimmler

• Knight at Arms
  • Hear me roar!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: Shimmler
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 06:38:56 AM »
I wanna see sardaukars :D
good luck!

QuailLover

• Marquis
  • Cease thy bickering hos!
    • View Profile
    • QuailPilot's Page
  • Faction: Rhodok
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
Awesome. Hopefully you can capture the knife fights well.

Question: Visually are you going to make your own interpretation? Or are you going to follow how either the movie or the miniseries did things?
No. 'The River Pirates' are not a punk band. And you misunderstand me when I said I was 'going Clubbing'. Mount&Blade ~ Maw

You're going to piss yourself when you see my guy Quail. Havoc

You're a success, Quailman. Alenmare

This man is so great and possessed of style...Lyze

The best thing about Quail ... he is a good dancer, and sexes it up on the dance floor with chicks and posts pic of it here. Feragorn

Dawiduh

• Squire
    • View Profile
    • David Stancu
  • WB
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:26 PM »
Hey guys. Visually I would go closer to David Lynch's Dune and Cryo's Dune videogame. Closer would not mean the same. The Miniseries are a bit too Renaissance to what I expected of Dune. I will post some pictures once I clean up a bit the work folder.  Don't expect eyecandy (yet) as I'm running the game windowed and low-res and on a **** laptop with no graphicsboard in order to load fast for testing.

The knife fights would mostly be an one-to-one thing. The normal group fighting will have to be a bit more dynamic, otherwise the whole system would be unbalanced. So let's say some short-sword style.

xPearse

• Sergeant Knight
  • H.O.T.D. Check It Out
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: xPearse
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
Will there be rideable giant Worms.

Dawiduh

• Squire
    • View Profile
    • David Stancu
  • WB
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:47:08 AM »
I am thinking to add rideable sand worms as world map vehicles mostly. Their (real) size would quickly fill up any scene. If it makes sense to insert them in the battles and if I can code that, I will.

bpopa27

• Master Knight
    • Steam - Lawrence (bpopa27)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
Trhrhrhrhrhrhrhhrhrh! And now the big question! :lol: : when do we get to see some pics? :lol:

xPearse

• Sergeant Knight
  • H.O.T.D. Check It Out
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: xPearse
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »
Well development has only start so im guessing we would have to wait some time for him to do anything for it but yea also can't wait so good luck on this mod.

nomad93

• Sergeant
  • L'omino sentenzioso.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »
Good to hear, I already noticed that mod on the Dune2k forums, and it's coming along real nice.

I hope to play it soon, since I'm really a fan of the books.
I'm reading (quite slowly, to be honest) the penultimate book written by Herbert Sr.
So,uhm,what should i write there? Happy birthday?

Dawiduh

• Squire
    • View Profile
    • David Stancu
  • WB
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 05:57:48 AM »
The developement started in July actually, but I didn't have a continous work time. I still don't.
I have just posted some screenshots up in the main presentation. They're really low-res as I run the game like that for testing. Also my laptop cannot take all the pretty effects without almost freezing the game. Which sucks.

I also have an almost-finished Gladius for the Harkonnen (I think of them of being mostly the stabbing part).

The world map icons are inspired by Cryo's Dune.

The world map itself is not fully finished as I have to make well... er... dunes in the desert and work on the walkability of the terrain. Right now some areas are not transitable, probably the stone textures on the sides are too close.

Also I am thinking of transforming some of the Imperial Botanical Stations into sietches. That is because I really think i misinterpreted the original map and added to many botanical station.

Thanks for the support guys!

Dawiduh

• Squire
    • View Profile
    • David Stancu
  • WB
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 06:20:50 AM »
Harkonnen Gladius ready. Carbon blade and two types of hard rubber for the handle.

(click to show/hide)

More images in 3D Art Thread
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:21:03 AM by Dawiduh »

Rimmilin1

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 03:01:23 AM »
woah, did u use 3ds max to do it? wut ver of 3dsmax did you use?

Dawiduh

• Squire
    • View Profile
    • David Stancu
  • WB
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »

It's been a combination of AutoCAD 2010, Rhino 4 SR7 and 3DS Max 2009 Design for the 3D and unwrapping. The images you see here are screenshots from openBRF. I want to add that all the afore-mentioned software is on my company's computer. Some days I don't have much to do at work :)

Soon enough I think I'll try this Wings 3D free software that is so popular on the forums. That will enable me to work from home also.

La Grandmaster

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »

It's been a combination of AutoCAD 2010, Rhino 4 SR7 and 3DS Max 2009 Design for the 3D and unwrapping. The images you see here are screenshots from openBRF. I want to add that all the afore-mentioned software is on my company's computer. Some days I don't have much to do at work :)

Soon enough I think I'll try this Wings 3D free software that is so popular on the forums. That will enable me to work from home also.

I'm pretty sure you can get all that software free of their website, its meant to be only free for students but anyone can download it. It might of changed since i last looked but i dont think so.