Advanced Warband mechanics guide

The guide is...

• EPIC

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • AWFUL

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • CAPSLOCK IS FUNNY :-DD XdXd xDDDD )))))))

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • "WHY DO YOU SHOW EVERYONE HOW TO ABUSE THE GAME??!?" -Shemaforash

Votes: 54 39.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Stun

Getting stunned means that you will be unable to attack or block for a brief moment.
Heavier weapons can stun lighter weapons, or even shields!

How to increase the chances of stunning your opponent:
1. You MUST hold your attack
2. Use a heavy weapon compared to the blocker's weapon/shield
3. Overhead

Person A (attacker) is using a swadian sword (weight 1.5)
Person D (defender) is using a swadian short sword (weight 1.0)
Person A attacks person D using a hold side swing. No stun will
happen, because the weight difference is too small for the stun to happen without using an overhead attack. Then person A
attacks person D using a held overhead attack: person B is most
likely going to be stunned, because person is 1. Using a slightly
heavier weapon 2. Using an overhead attack 3. Using a hold attack

Person A (attacker) is using a long awlpike (weight 2.3)
Person D (defender) is using a heater shield (weight 3.0)
Person A attacks person D using a hold attack (stab). No stun will
happen, because person A is not using an overhead attack. Then person A
attacks person D using a held overhead attack while running towards him: person B is most
likely going to be stunned, because person is 1. Using an overhead attack 2. Using a hold attack 3. Using a heavy enough
weapon

Hold is required for stuns

Video of stunning mechanic in action

For more in-depth info on stuns, check Azan's thread
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,260678.0.html

Attacking through teammates using polearms

When using polearms, you can hit through your teammates using overhead attacks, as long as you're not really close to your teammate.
This works with ANY polearm, even glaive, long bardiche and even nord long axes (as long as it is used in polearm mode)

Video of attacking through teammates using polearms

Crossbow shield penetration

Crossbows can penetrate shields that have low resistance (cheap shields and rhodok shields)

How to improve your chances of penetrating the shield:
1. High damage crossbow
2. Speed bonus (shoot at a target running towards you, move/jump forwards while shooting)
3. target shields with weak resistance

Missile damage > 30.0 + 3.0 x Shield resistance
= Missile will penetrate

Person A (attacker) is using a heavy crossbow (damage 57) and bolts (+1, total 58 damage)
Person D (defender) is using a plain board shield (resistance 8 )
Missile damage (5:cool: > 30.0 + 3.0 x Shield resistance (8 )
58 > 54
= penetrates the shield when standing still, if the speed bonus is negative, penetration might not happen.

Person A (attacker) is using a heavy crossbow (damage 57) and bolts (+1, total 58 damage)
Person D (defender) is using a board shield (resistance 10)
Missile damage (5:cool: < 30.0 + 3.0 x Shield resistance (10)
58 < 60
= will not penetrate the shield when standing still, if the speed bonus is positive, penetration might happen.

Person A (attacker) is using a siege crossbow (damage 63) and steel bolts (+2, total 65 damage)
Person D (defender) is using a board shield (resistance 10)
Missile damage (65) > 30.0 + 3.0 x Shield resistance (10)
65 > 60
= penetrates the shield when standing still, if the speed bonus is negative, penetration might not happen.

Video of crossbow shield penetration mechanic in action

Horse bumping

It is possible to make your opponent falldown/stagger by just bumping your horse into him with enough speed.
Not only does it do some damage, but it also makes the opponent that falls down completely defenseless, which
means easy target for your teammates.

Video of horse bumping in action.

Bump stabbing

It is possible to bump your dismounted opponent with your horse just before you stab him with a lance
which prevents him from blocking your stab. This can be done by stabbing low, then raising your lance up if needed.

Video of bump stab in action

Bump slashing

Same thing as bump stabbing, but done using a sword.

Video of bump slashing in action

Guide by SotaMursu
(Bauglir and Momcilo were forced volunteered to help with videos)

If you notice any mistakes or anything you'd like to be added to the guide, tell me.

Should probably add that you can't be stunned twice in a row. (unless I'm actually wrong about that :/ )

Mr.X said:
Should probably add that you can't be stunned twice in a row. (unless I'm actually wrong about that :/ )

You can stun someone as many times in a row as you want, though, a stunning attack will take up so much more time to ready up that you can't just chain stun someone until he dies.

As far as i know Xd...

Glad someone wrote up an explanation of all of this... 90% of the player base (non competitive of course) doesn't even know most of this exists. Might be interesting to see it expanded on to some other topics as well.

Good to have something quick to reference for people posting here to rage about the mechanics :razz:

I've honestly never seen anything other than a pike/ashwood succesfully overhead through enemies, from personal experience from me accidentally hitting allies, and them I with all of those other weapons listed, im going to have to look into this for sure

galonthier900 said:
I've honestly never seen anything other than a pike/ashwood succesfully overhead through enemies, from personal experience from me accidentally hitting allies, and them I with all of those other weapons listed, im going to have to look into this for sure

You will hit enemies, but to hit teammates you need to be really close to them.

Back
Top Bottom